Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:13 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times

Advertisements

OK, so this is the wrong forum for this, but there might be some response. I find rural life is always busy and never boring. From taking a walk around the property with the dogs, cutting and clearing brush and timber, cutting firewood, building and maintaining outbuildings and home improvement projects, seems like there is always something to do. For fun, go down to the lake and go fishing, swimming or a canoe ride, jump on the ATV and explore some new back country, pick up the bow or rifle and practice (or hunt). Get a bonfire going and have a barbecue or cook samores. Grab a backpack and go hiking for the day/week. Take your pick.

The limited time I spent in cities I was bored to death. Going out to dinner all the time is tedious (and expensive), movies are dull and not interactive, you just sit there. Nightclubs are a possiblity, but I outgrew getting blitzed every night in my 20's. Museums are a possiblility I guess, there is always some local history to learn. But once you've been there once, what do you do? Art gallerys? From what I've seen most of what passes for art these days was created during someone's acid trip, or by there 4 year old in fingerpainting class. Parks are a possiblity, but that's just a half baked attempt to capture a bit of the country in an urban environment.

So, just what do city people do for fun and entertainment, enquiring minds want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 PM

332 posts, read 644,113 times
There are always plenty of things to do here in Orlando if you like amusement parks, water parks, miniature golf courses, shopping malls, and ofcourse a 24 hours Wal-Mart supercenter.

Last edited by Golem1979; 03-13-2010 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
My husband and I used to live in downtown Boston. A teensy bit different from my life now and I like my life WAY more right now in my little cabin. We did have fun though, keeping in mind we were in our 20's. We hung out in Harvard Square, ate in a lot of terrific restaurants and sailed our boat in Boston Harbor and thereabout. I loved the street festivals in the North End and the theatre but I would never go back to that life.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:31 PM

21,533 posts, read 8,718,127 times
My husband and I live in San Francisco. We take walks, go out for coffee, window shop, browse in bookstores, work out at the gym, dine out, have guests for lunch or dinner, go to museums, see shows or concerts, go to the park, go to the beach or go to the movies. I'm never bored for a second. There's always something going on in the city, so if you have nothing to do, it's your own fault.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
I love living in the country but if I had to choose between living in the suburbs or in a city...I'd choose the city. Suburbs are the worst. IMO.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:38 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
What do people do for fun in big cities?

Why, get out of town (to the mountains, deserts, forests, etc.), of course!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
My husband and I used to live in downtown Boston. A teensy bit different from my life now and I like my life WAY more right now in my little cabin. We did have fun though, keeping in mind we were in our 20's. We hung out in Harvard Square, ate in a lot of terrific restaurants and sailed our boat in Boston Harbor and thereabout. I loved the street festivals in the North End and the theatre but I would never go back to that life.
I've only spent time in Boston once, we were on a motorcycle road trip. First time I've ever really been scared on a bike, you're driving situation in downtown is unique. Those little red stop lights are only taken as suggestions I guess .

Having said that, I really enjoyed downtown, the history that took place there is amazing. I actually would like to go back some time and check out some of the places that were so tied in with the founding of our country.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I've only spent time in Boston once, we were on a motorcycle road trip. First time I've ever really been scared on a bike, you're driving situation in downtown is unique. Those little red stop lights are only taken as suggestions I guess .

Having said that, I really enjoyed downtown, the history that took place there is amazing. I actually would like to go back some time and check out some of the places that were so tied in with the founding of our country.
That's because only tourists drive in Boston and they can't quite figure out our roads. :P

I live outside of Boston and I have plenty of fun on the cheap. Walking along the river, going to the beach for walks, festivals, cheap food in Chinatown, buying produce and spices in ethnic markets, taking free classes, going to meetups, and the list goes on.

I grew up in a fairly rural place. I am a very solitary, privacy oriented person so I like the anonymity of being in a crowd. Rural life is not as conducive to that sort of lifestyle as urban life is.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
That's because only tourists drive in Boston and they can't quite figure out our roads. :P
Undoubtably true! It just was a suprise, the light turns red and people keep going, and going. It seems to be a game, first one that makes eye contact looses. Not the game to play on a motorcycle, at least not as a newbie to that scene. Still though, I liked a lot about the town.

Quote:
I grew up in a fairly rural place. I am a very solitary, privacy oriented person so I like the anonymity of being in a crowd. Rural life is not as conducive to that sort of lifestyle as urban life is.
That's an interesting take, I never thought of it that way. I'm somewhat the same with regard to privacy, or at least I'm perfectly content without other people around. Many weekends I don't see anyone else (other than the wife) or get off the property. I never really thought about the anonymity of city life as conductive to privacy. Yet, I guess I can see that, it's not like everyone knows your business.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's an interesting take, I never thought of it that way. I'm somewhat the same with regard to privacy, or at least I'm perfectly content without other people around. Many weekends I don't see anyone else (other than the wife) or get off the property. I never really thought about the anonymity of city life as conductive to privacy. Yet, I guess I can see that, it's not like everyone knows your business.
When I lived in the city, I only knew the neighbors on either side of me, and rarely conversed with them. Now that I live in a rural community, I know almost everyone within about 1/4 a mile of me, and many others further away. What's funny is that there are a few people I know in my community that lived close to where I lived in the city, but I never knew them there. One of my current neighbors (3/4 of a mile from me) used to live next door to a friend of mine in the city (about 1/4 of a mile from where I lived then), and I never saw him there. Now he lives further from me than when we both lived in the city, but we are good friends.

I would guess that I know more people in some small communities I've only visited than I knew in the cities I've lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living