U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:45 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,837,457 times

Advertisements

I could never understand how some people equate refusal to have a mail box with being a rugged individual and a sign of manliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM

3,784 posts, read 7,044,227 times
You can have a physical address without having a mailbox.

The company I work for has a physical address and outfits like UPS, FedEx, freight lines, etc. use that, but all mail goes to a PO box.

My mother, when she was living had the same situation. No door to door mail delivery in her small village, but she did have a physical street address.

Physical address and mailing address are NOT the same.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,837,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post

The company I work for has a physical address and outfits like UPS, FedEx, freight lines, etc. use that, but all mail goes to a PO box.

My mother, when she was living had the same situation. No door to door mail delivery in her small village, but she did have a physical street address.

I know that.

My post was in response to a poster who asked why some places need a physical address on file.

I , also, have no mail box ( my choice ) but rent a PO box because I am close to the post office.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM

29,123 posts, read 22,418,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
When I moved to a new state, I could not get a drivers license w/o a physical address.

(also, my insurance carrier for my house insurance requires they have a ....................................physical address on file
Harrier's question was why a police department would have a legitimate reason to have the address on file, not an insurance carrier or the DMV.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:16 PM

8,629 posts, read 14,074,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier's question was why a police department would have a legitimate reason to have the address on file, not an insurance carrier or the DMV.
Whats the difference. Police, or courts, or DMV they are all connected by computer. Its stupid to think the police does not have a direct link with the DMV !

Old 01-07-2014, 04:14 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,987,889 times
Quote:
Not true - it is paid for by taxpayer dollars.
Incorrect.

Postal Reform Myths vs. Facts - Reforming the Postal Service - Tom Carper, U.S. Senator for Delaware.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 PM

34,460 posts, read 43,314,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post

That's all correct but you're all missing what the OP wanted. He didn't want any way to receive mail-not a box, not a PO Box, nothing. He wanted to avoid receiving jury notices, tax bills, tickets, etc.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:41 PM

4,718 posts, read 9,075,978 times
Everything I ever got that was really important was sent certified and a post office, fedex, or ups driver knocked on my door. How would anyone know that you were served just because a 1st class letter was sent? I have caring post office employees, but somewhere in the line is Cliff from Cheers. I get mail that isn't mine at times and things that I know where mailed to me I have never gotten. Granted, most of the mail is junk - but some of it has been money in the mail. I got a notice that I was involved in class action lawsuit and just for responding to it paid me several thousand dollars. Had I not gotten my mail I would have never known. They had no way of knowing my email address and they wouldn't have sent that certified.

I do not have the need to be that off grid...

Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM

29,123 posts, read 22,418,224 times
Are you trying to say that only people who don't pay taxes buy stamps?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 AM

3,784 posts, read 7,044,227 times
Quote:
Are you trying to say that only people who don't pay taxes buy stamps?
No, but s/he is saying that if you don't buy stamps (or other postal services) you are not subsidizing the postal system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living