U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 PM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 1 day ago)

15,520 posts, read 8,986,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're going to refuse your bills?
I have fantasized about that very thing many times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 AM

4,395 posts, read 1,700,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I don't have a mailbox but have a PO box at the Post Office.
However, it costs me because mail delivery service is available.

If it was not, the PO box would be free.
We live in a area with no mail delivery and we still have to pay for a PO box.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 PM

34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
We live in a area with no mail delivery and we still have to pay for a PO box.
You need to check up on that. I'm the same here in MD, no carrier service so PO Box is gratis. It wasn't always that way, up until 15 years ago, I guess, we paid $30 or so a year. Maybe $50. I don't remember exactly.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:48 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,495,005 times
In my county and the ones to the immediate north and east, you don't need a mailbox but you do need an address if you have a structure on your property because these three counties have enhanced 911. No more trying to explain to the dispatcher that you live at the fourth house on the west side of Hollow Road, which is two roads past the Methodist Church in Wesleyville where you turn left and then take the right fork ... while your house is burning. You just give them the number, and their GPS/GIS will find you.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:15 PM

671 posts, read 687,185 times
Snail mail is desirable for small packages. A lot of people shop online..Bills can be sent to one by email,if you have an internet connection and in the same way bills can be paid...What is annoying while there is a no call list for telephones there's no,,no junk mail law for snail mail. That's all it'd take to make a lot of folks happy.....My newspaper box sits alongside my mail box down by the main road.......Also in a lot of areas a town address is on the post for police,ambulance ect services. Some homes can't be seen from the road...

Old 04-09-2015, 07:48 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,205,587 times
Why not just file a change of address with the USPS and have them forward your mail to the White House or someplace similar?

Old 04-11-2015, 11:18 PM

9,581 posts, read 17,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
email and cellphones appeared only what? 10 years ago. People lived without them before. People had landline and snail mail (the snail mail bills can now be replaced with online bills).
While I agree with your fundamental premise, email and cell phone have been around much longer than 10 years. I became acquainted with my late wife via emails, and that was in '91. I had a cell phone before that.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:12 AM

400 posts, read 332,404 times
In my county it costs $206.000 to get a postal address assigned where there has only been empty land previously. No way am I paying that. Not only that, but people steal your mail for identity theft. My voter registration card has my township and range address. General delivery in the nearest town works fine.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 PM

152 posts, read 158,807 times
Yeah. Just do a forward order to a PO box in town, open PO at post office in town & pay the money on the internet or at post office. You can put the payment on auto pay by credit card. Cost is very reasonable for smaller box - $7 a month. I still get all the 'resident' and junk mail ads at home but takes care of rest. You can switch the bills to email copies too...

Some people just remove the mailbox & oh well. If asked, "someone hit it again. I give up."

My last apartment had all the mailbox doors hanging open after residents moved. One of the residents figured out how to break locks on open door to facilitate ID theft. Locks were broken for months after new residents move in. All my mail was opened for 2 weeks before I went down to post office & got a PO box. Someone else from apartment complex was complaining about the apartment earlier in the day I visited the post office. I found out the mailboxes at complex were owned by landlord so there was no rule that it had to be maintained. This was pretty much the state of whole apartment complex anyway, kinda falling down.

A lock on your credit report is another good thing to check into if you had this happen. You can pay a small amount to all 3 credit bureaus so no one will be able to get any credit with your social security number. The fee varies by state but is $5-10 each credit bureau for most states. You get a PIN number & hang onto this number for each credit bureau until the next time you need to apply for credit. To LIFT freezes, you go to website, pay same fee to lift a credit freeze for each credit bureau the next time you want to get lease, credit card or loan.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:35 PM

18,946 posts, read 5,055,326 times
Have a P O Box, have for years....when we had a mailbox the mail blew out after it wasn't being
shut properly, later they claimed it was too hard to open....when I found our mail that blew into an empty lot
next door, and there was a jury summons, I figured we'd go with the P O Box even though we would
have to go to the post office to get our mail....luckily it isn't far from here....(if I didn't check the field for
mail who would have believed me if I didn't show up for jury duty claiming I didn't receive any notice?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living