Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times

Advertisements

Sure; but likely your mail will go into the undeliverable bundling at Post Office. In time mail delivered to your front door will be limited to mail your have to sign for at greater cost. More and more they are installing collective mail box at one site for nearby residences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 07:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,788,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The compact, suburban town of Garrett Park, Maryland, they claim, has never had mail delivery in its 100+ year history. Residents supposedly prefer walking to the post office. Garrett Park, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I lived in Garrett Park many years ago and it is true that they do not have mail delivery. Instead you go down to the small post office across from the train stop (don't know if the train still stops there) to get your mail. Garrett Park is a beautiful place to live and is likely very expensive these days.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,967,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I lived in Garrett Park many years ago and it is true that they do not have mail delivery. Instead you go down to the small post office across from the train stop (don't know if the train still stops there) to get your mail. Garrett Park is a beautiful place to live and is likely very expensive these days.
For the record a town must have a population of at least 2,500 for the USPS to offer mail delivery. So most small towns like that are in the same boat.

The town I was born in always fluctuated between 1,000 and 1,500 people, so it never got mail delivery service. But in the last census it topped 2,000. If the current growth boom continues it should top 2,500 by the next census in 2020. I wonder if it will actually get mail delivery at that time. In light of the problems the USPS is having I kind of doubt it. Even if the town does get delivery, it could drop back down below 2,500 and lose it again.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:33 AM

2,276 posts, read 2,625,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
We have also given up our cell phones, cable, and email. We are finding life to be a lot less hectic without these "modern conveniences"

Has anyone here removed their mailbox? Do people think you are nuts?
I know this is an old thread, but if you've given all these things up as stated above, how did you send this message on City-Data? And why give up a heck of a good deal? It's FREE service, even if you want to inconvenience your self.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:35 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,571,495 times
What's the point?

Old 05-25-2015, 03:20 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,223,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I know this is an old thread, but if you've given all these things up as stated above, how did you send this message on City-Data? And why give up a heck of a good deal? It's FREE service, even if you want to inconvenience your self.

And out here in rural Texas south plains, the Postal Service is one of the best services we have. We have no community services for water, sewer, fire, almost no police protection and little service for television, telephone and internet. FedEx and UPS are scared to come down our road if there is even cloud in the sky although it hardly matters for FedEx since they seem to deliver my packages to whoever will take them and is located on a paved road. This past week,our postman came 4-wheeling it up our muddy clay road sideways just to deliver to the two houses out here.

There are many government services that probably do a poor job at delivery of their services. Our Post Office is certainly not one of them.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:11 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,610,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
And out here in rural Texas south plains, the Postal Service is one of the best services we have. We have no community services for water, sewer, fire, almost no police protection and little service for television, telephone and internet. FedEx and UPS are scared to come down our road if there is even cloud in the sky although it hardly matters for FedEx since they seem to deliver my packages to whoever will take them and is located on a paved road. This past week,our postman came 4-wheeling it up our muddy clay road sideways just to deliver to the two houses out here.

There are many government services that probably do a poor job at delivery of their services. Our Post Office is certainly not one of them.
We purchased a property that did not have a mailbox. If we did not go into town to purchase a PO Box, we could have just not put a mailbox up and that would have been that. It is your responsibility to put up a mailbox if you want mail delivery. If not, no mail.

As for FexEx/UPS - has not been my experience, they are pretty good but we got to know the delivery men and we talk to them when they show up, they are very nice. Post service too - they know you by name and have helped us many times. Your mileage might vary, obviously

Old 05-25-2015, 05:40 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,223,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
]As for FexEx/UPS - has not been my experience, they are pretty good but we got to know the delivery men and we talk to them when they show up, they are very nice. Post service too - they know you by name and have helped us many times. Your mileage might vary, obviously
Very true. I know my mailman very well because he comes everyday and was the first person I met when we came out here. I know the UPS guy by his first name because he comes maybe five to eight times a year. He has only refused to come out when the road was truly dangerous for his large 2-wheel drive truck.

However, The FedEx driver is sometimes a different person and there has never been an opportunity to speak to them for more than a few seconds. The one thing that is irritating is that, even if there are dry ruts in the road, none of their drivers will drive on it. I've had no conflicts with any of the drivers but they now deliver most of my packages to my neighbor, my propane dealer, my bank, or they have even sent one large package back to the New England shipper.

I buy a few auto and tractor parts from eBay and, anymore, I have to ask if the shipper intends to ship FedEx especially when we have inclement weather going on.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:16 PM

375 posts, read 604,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post

That may be your expedience but it certainly isn't mine. Our carrier will never set a wheel off pavement. Whereas Fed-ex and UPS charge on like is was paved. We have to hop into the car and pick up our mail in a cluster box. This is really becoming a pain because UPS and FED-EX are using the USPS for last mile delivery.
Well they finally paved our road and I thought the nightmare was over but the USPS disapproved our petition to have curbside just like everyone else.
I'm surprised they don't have cluster boxes in your area.
I call them ATMs for crooks. Easy pickings. Every big box without a key sticking out has a large package in it. All you need is a crowbar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living