Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post

Has anyone here removed their mailbox? Do people think you are nuts?
Yep, it ain't that big of a deal, and you also have some civic duties that require you to receive notice in the mail, primarily a jury notice. If you don't the sheriff will come calling, with a warrant signed by a judge.

Vehicle registration, property tax bills, drivers license renewals, etc. etc. all very important in keeping you out of legal troubles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Only if you want to. No requirement that anyone have such an address.

That's not exactly correct. Most states are going to it and even normalizing addresses. Some older towns had a "random" numbering system and some folks have had their addresses changed. GIS mapping is going on everywhere.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
I think some people are confusing a mailing address with a physical address when they are 2 separate things. You can remove your roadside (or houseside) mailbox and also not have a box at the post office, thus not having a mailing address,.and if need be you can pick expected mail up at the post office, under General Delivery. However, your residence will still have a physical address, the one that is used by 911 systems, county/town property maps and for your "official" residence, as IS required on most (government) identifying documents such as your driver's license. Commercial delivery services, such as Fedex, can still deliver packages to your physical address without you having a box in which to receive USPS mail. In addition, some municipalities also coordinate 911 efforts through the use of Fire Road or Fire Lane numbers- I may live at 1234 Main Street, which is ALSO known to 911 services as Fire Lane 934, and collect my mail (or not) at P.O.Box 78, all in Anytown, USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
From farther down in that same USPS publication:

2.1.3 Customer Maintenance of Receptacles
Customers must provide authorized mail receptacles or door slots, ...

So it appears to be open for interpretation.
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure what that means is that IF you have a roadside/home mailbox, it must meet USPS requirements for size, height, etc- to prevent people from sticking a coffee can or a manilla envelope in a tree to use for mail, etc.

My parents have lived in the same house for nearly 50 years... and they've had the same mailing address for as long- which is a post office box downtown. No roadside mailbox or mail slot. This has NEVER been an issue. ??? (And btw- jeez.. whatever happened to the 10:00am rush at the post office to catch up on the days gossip and events? Is that only in my town?)

Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's not exactly correct. Most states are going to it and even normalizing addresses. Some older towns had a "random" numbering system and some folks have had their addresses changed. GIS mapping is going on everywhere.
Only the nanny states force it on people.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:50 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:

I don't know what states those would be since FEMA has pretty much mandated it.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know what states those would be since FEMA has pretty much mandated it.
Again, you are talking about the PHYSICAL address, not the mailing address. The OP does not have to receive mail at his physical address.

What would be the purpose of the USPS renting post office boxes to people if those same people are actually mandated to have a mailbox at their physical address? Oh, I know- because they aren't mandated to have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Does your area use electronic 911 systems? If so, you need a mailbox so that emergency service persons (such as firefighters and EMS) can locate your home in the event of an emergency. In many rural areas around here, your physical address is basically directions to your home. If your mailing address is '3250 Kitty Hollow' then 911 responders know to respond to the home that is 3.25 miles down "Kitty Hollow". Having a mailbox makes finding the home easier for them.
You don't need a mailbox. Large numbers on your house or on a driveway marker can identify the physical location and help emergency services find a house when needed. Sometimes that number is located on a mailbox if the person has one, but not everyone does (nor do they have to). If my current mailing address is P.O.Box 62...and I live at 123 Peyton Place.. do they show up at the post office if I call in for help? Or do they ask for a physical location and show up at my house on Peyton Place?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
You're going to refuse your bills?
There's this newfangled thing called "the internet" where you can pay your bills without getting a paper copy in snail mail.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:12 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
There's this newfangled thing called "the internet" where you can pay your bills without getting a paper copy in snail mail.
Does notification of jury duty get sent via the internet ?

Does notification to property owners of a nearby planned powerline or pipeline get sent ny the internet ?

( individual land owners living within a certain distasnce must recieve notification and information individually)

Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
I guess I misunderstood the OP. I thought the ides was not to receive mail anyplace. Not at home, not at the post office. Any official notices would need to be delivered by special courier of some sort, which of course would be additional expense to the sender. (Probably a government agency, which means it comes from your pockets and mine.)

Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I guess I misunderstood the OP. I thought the ides was not to receive mail anyplace. Not at home, not at the post office. Any official notices would need to be delivered by special courier of some sort, which of course would be additional expense to the sender. (Probably a government agency, which means it comes from your pockets and mine.)
No, I think that's what he meant- no official mailing address at all. It may be odd, but it wouldn't be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living