Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 07:21 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My Mom no longer wanted any of the third class junk mail. No more flyers or ads from local stores, cluttering up her box. She was told it was required.

That junk mail keeps the USPS afloat. It is not about you, it is about money for the post office!
so they can stay open and provide you with delivery service cheaper than about anyplace else in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:27 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Interesting question. I live in a resort area and many homes are seasonal/weekenders. The post office does not deliver to individual homes. There are several complexes with mail boxes through out the area but would not be near enough if every home wanted or was forced to have a mail address.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Anyone who is interested in heading off junk mail before it gets to them can use the link provided by the Direct Marketing Association. Yes, it's the trade organization for companies who send junk mail, and they would just as soon not send junk mail to people who don't want to get it.

https://www.dmachoice.org/

Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Interesting question. I live in a resort area and many homes are seasonal/weekenders. The post office does not deliver to individual homes. There are several complexes with mail boxes through out the area but would not be near enough if every home wanted or was forced to have a mail address.
I lived in a Mountain Community for years that was like that. In the phone book you were listed as on which mountain you lived on, no actual street address. All that changed when we got EMS. It took years to find everyone and give them an address. Many complained also that they did not like the address given.I had to go around to my neighbors and convince them to sign up for our proposed street name, as we all owned the road.. US mail WAS delivered to a central location where we all had boxes. The Mail Carrier was contract , a Star Route , which there are few of left in the country except maybe out west. Many of us decided to take out a PO box in town , but there was a long waiting list... and it still could not be declared a legal address.

This is but one way people can " get Lost" in they so choose, many hill folks live this way and they like it !

Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , go back and read my post on this. There are many people that live off the grid of life, they are the backbone for the underground culture , its in the millions ! They pay no taxes except in a store when its collected by the merchant.This includes income tax both state and Federal. Most have several empty lot addresses for when they are being demanded to provide so. Many do a lot of barter/trade for services and or the reverse. No checking account , always cash their work checks at the currency /pay day loan place, for a cash fee. Prepaid cell phones for sure ( which are often cheaper ). They use the emergency room for health care.No credit cards of any kind. Most are self employed trade labor for cash. Live on little ether in the woods , or in the city in an apartment where they pay cash weekly or monthly. Often do own a car , but its registered in someone else's name and they use THAT persons drivers license , especially if they are migrant workers. They all have the same address and ID. At the end of the year their employer needs to send out a W2 , with the possibility they will get money back as its taken out of their paycheck anyway. Most employers no longer attempt to track down their seasonal workers as the given address is usually invalid anyway...... You too can " disappear" about any time, most to be sucessful this way , work on contract and are assumed self employed.
Sounds like a terrible and complicated way to live.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Sounds like a terrible and complicated way to live.
No, actually its not at all. These people have chose the way they live for various reasons, lest of all dropping out of the mainstream. Simple , they work 40 hours for x dollars, are paid in cash, no extras.Many always seem to have a wallet full of money to barter or buy what ever it is that they need to survive. This is much simpler lifestyle. They have no debts , no credit , no bills to pay. Living a simple life is a lot less work than fighting so many issues we can not control , so we pay and pay hoping for the day when WE can retire, settle down in a small town and smell the flowers. The off the grid people have already done this, they will never retire, no need too.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
We took out our mailbox and have all of our mail go to a PO box because we didn't want to leave our mail our where someone could get it. It's a hassle at times but we don't have to worry about someone taking our mail and creating a false ID and credit cards from that.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
When I began building this house, we had no street address.

For 2 years we used a PO box in town.

Finally I went through a long ordeal to get a street address assigned here.

There is no requirement for one. Many properties in my town have no street addresses.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My Mom no longer wanted any of the third class junk mail. No more flyers or ads from local stores, cluttering up her box. She was told it was required.

That junk mail keeps the USPS afloat. It is not about you, it is about money for the post office!
so very true.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
darstar
You say in the phonebook we were listed as which mountain we lived on. So you must have had electric and phone.How did you get the bills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living