Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm absolutely certain that it does not.
DMM 508 Recipient Services

1.1.1 Delivery to Addressee

Addressees may control delivery of their mail.

1.1.2 Refusal at Delivery

The addressee may refuse to accept a mailpiece when it is offered for delivery.
From farther down in that same USPS publication:

2.1.3 Customer Maintenance of Receptacles
Customers must provide authorized mail receptacles or door slots, ...

So it appears to be open for interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 09:07 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
I'm absolutely certain that it does not.
DMM 508 Recipient Services

1.1.1 Delivery to Addressee

Addressees may control delivery of their mail.

1.1.2 Refusal at Delivery

The addressee may refuse to accept a mailpiece when it is offered for delivery.

what is added to 1.1.1. is---------without a contrary order,the mail is delivered as addressed

Old 07-23-2009, 09:14 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
There is an episode of Seinfeld on this very topic. Kramer tried to cancel his mail. Newman totally freaked out.
Honestly, mail is going extinct. If it were not for write letters with a few family members and getting the weekly newspaper, I wouldn't need it.
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread. LOL!

Kramer mortars brick into his mailbox first, but realizes the postman simply puts Kramer's mail in Jerry's mailbox instead.

Hilarious episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nKlzQo3Wqo

Old 07-23-2009, 09:24 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
what is added to 1.1.1. is---------without a contrary order,the mail is delivered as addressed

Delivered to where?........ the imaginary mailbox? The mail is held for 10 days, if the customer doesn't provide a receptacle, the mail is returned to its senders. End of the story. Don't want mail? No problem. Nobody will show up at your door with a court order to put up a mailbox, LOL. The only thing that you're responsible for, is that you can't use voluntary non-receipt of mail as a defense for not fulfilling any obligations(i.e.: Jury duty/Court summons, IRS audit notice,etc.).

Old 07-23-2009, 09:27 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post

.......If they wish to receive mail. You're not under any obligation to be a customer of the USPS.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,040 times
Quote:
Delivered to where?........ the imaginary mailbox? The mail is held for 10 days, if the customer doesn't provide a receptacle, the mail is returned to its senders. End of the story. Don't want mail? No problem. Nobody will show up at your door with a court order to put up a mailbox, LOL. The only thing that you're responsible for, is that you can't use voluntary non-receipt of mail as a defense for not fulfilling any obligations(i.e.: Jury duty/Court summons, IRS audit notice,etc.).
Actually, much of the reason that I am removing the mailbox (it is now removed) is to avoid letters for Jury Duty, Court Orders, IRS, lawyers, etc. It will be sent back to the sending party marked "Refused". I figure if they want to find me, they will need to hand deliver a certified letter that must be signed by me, not by anyone else.

Where is it written that I have to have mail? Where is it written that I have to maintain a phone line?

Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,040 times
I removed the mailbox this weekend. I unscrewed it from the post (the post is still there) and I put a laminated note on the post. It reads "The residents at (address) do not wish to receive mail. Any and all mail and/or packages marked for this address or any resident at this address is hereby refused."

Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
I removed the mailbox this weekend. I unscrewed it from the post (the post is still there) and I put a laminated note on the post. It reads "The residents at (address) do not wish to receive mail. Any and all mail and/or packages marked for this address or any resident at this address is hereby refused."

Property tax bill?
Utility bills?
Car insurance bill?
Notice of vehicle registration suspension?
Notice of utility shut off?
Notice of Tax Sale?

Those are just three I can think of, you could include driver's license, car tags, etc.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
How about Birthday Cards, Thank You notes, Thinking of you cards?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:26 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post

Sure you can refuse. You can always pick it up in town under the address of "General Delivery"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living