Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,524,110 times

Advertisements

I don't like crowds. I don't like people in general. I like to keep to myself, and not be around others. I can do that easier in a place with a smaller population. Traffic is bad enough here, I couldn't imagine having to live in a bigger city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,184,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Ok, that's just gross and people anywhere wouldn't want to see their neighbor peeing in the front yard.
My Daughter came visit from the city.She asked where our Restroom was? I pointed down the path to the Outhouse.She decided to wait.

Later I asked if she wanted to go to the Store with me? Yes.We get up there I pull up by the Gas Pumps.She asked if they had a Restroom? I pointed down the path to the Outhouse. What is the matter with you people,don't any of you people believe in Indoor Plumbing.Then she proceeded to squat by the Pumps and pee

hillman

Old 08-03-2009, 08:02 AM

261 posts, read 1,268,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
So who has actually answered the question thus far? Maybe Hillman, everyone else? Fail.

The question was; "Do you have anything against big cities and big city people, or do you just simply prefer small towns?"
From my original post:
"I do have something against big cities."
"That doesn't mean that I have something against big-city people -- well maybe certain big city people, yeah."
"I don't like cities. I understand that some people do. ... If it works for you, fine. It won't for me because I've lived it, and I tend to be bored and wind up broke when I spend more than a day or two in a big city."

I thought that covered the original question pretty well, but maybe you read it differently than I did.

Quote:
I do have something against big cities (crime, pollution, solicitations, traffic.)
Quote:
Small towns can have just as much crime and prostitues (if that is what you meant by "solicitation").
Like someone else said, you're not going to convince me that big cities have less crime than small towns. Not even diving into the stats, I can point to the fact that I've had my car broken into three times when I lived in cities, and my parents' home in the upper-middle class part of a city has been broken into twice. And the gap gets bigger the more violent the crime.

As for solicitation, you can look at it as prostitution. I've been solicided by a prostititute several times in D.C., NYC, Prague, etc. Never in the a small town. You can also consider it to be panhandlers (none in my small town), people knocking on my door selling their religion or lines of knock-off jewelry (again, never happened in my rural community), or you can look at it as being people trying to peddle their independant newspapers and other publications to passers-by.

Quote:
I feel sad for those "proud" New Yorkers who are the second or third generation in their families that haven't learned how to drive.
Quote:
Taking public transit is good for the environment.
Wow, you totally took my statement out of context, and I'm sure you know that. I didn't hint in the slightest that public transportation isn't a good thing. I said that I pity those people who haven't learned the basic independance of going out and seeing what America and the general world around them has to offer.

As I said in my orginial post, I'm fine with people who like their cities as long as they are able to respect that I like my life in the country.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 AM

8,945 posts, read 17,180,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Sure as heck if you pee in your yard someone is going to see you and say something.
I have peed in my yard many times with out complaint from my neighbors.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,030,168 times
Quote:
Ok, that's just gross and people anywhere wouldn't want to see their neighbor peeing in the front yard.
The beautiful thing about that for me is I can't even see a neighbors yard light,much less house.

I can do you one better. I can watch the city fireworks from my back door. Its in the football field behind me.

Last edited by linicx; 08-03-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,125,587 times
This thread really isn't going to turn into a peeing contest is it? .

I'm in a rural town because I like it. I could probably list a 100 reasons but I'll stick to a few. Half-acre corner lot in town, cheaper taxes, lower cost of housing, convenience, no waiting for houre to get into ER or see the doctor. Less traffic and a more relaxed way of life. I don't have to fight rush hour traffic among 8 lanes of vehicles traveling 80 miles and hour. I have six routes from which to chose to leave town. If you call the cops they come. EMT can be at my house in five minutes. I can buy I everything I need in three blocks. I can see the stars and hear the birds at night as easily as I can hear the whistle of a distant train. I can still buy a very decent house for under 100K, and school board and parents do a pretty good job of raising nice kids. I don't worry about doors, either - unless my friendly rotty isn't home. I do not have a whole lot that I would miss if my house burned down, but I sure don't want to come home and find my network stolen. .

What I miss about big towns is large parks, performing arts, pro ball, museums, branded stores, upscale shopping and dining, auto row, larger and better selection of clothing and appliances, big town venues and good pizza. I can have all of that and more if I want to drive 50 miles in any direction. I don't.

Last edited by linicx; 08-03-2009 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,030,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
This thread really isn't going to turn into a peeing contest is it? .

I'm in a rural town because I like it. I could probably list a 100 reasons but I'll stick to a few. Half-acre corner lot in town, cheaper taxes, lower cost of housing, convenience, no waiting for houre to get into ER or see the doctor. Less traffic and a more relaxed way of life. I don't have to fight rush hour traffic among 8 lanes of vehicles traveling 80 miles and hour. I have six routes from which to chose to leave town. If you call the cops they come. EMT can be at my house in five minutes. I can buy I everything I need in three blocks.

What I miss about big towns is large parks, performing arts, pro ball, museums, branded stores, upscale shopping and dining, auto row, larger and better selection of clothing and appliances, big town venues and good pizza. I can have all of that and more if I want to drive 50 miles in any direction. I don't.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:43 AM

18,131 posts, read 15,527,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
So who has actually answered the question thus far? Maybe Hillman, everyone else? Fail.

The question was; "Do you have anything against big cities and big city people, or do you just simply prefer small towns?"

Perhaps one of the most annoying, over-used cliches is that in cities, "you don't know your neighbor." In small towns, "if you get your car stuck in a ditch, your neighbor will come pull you out." If you live in a small town, "people will bend over backwards and give you the shirt off his back."

Where I live right in the city, if I have the hood of my car open or even a tool set out, my neighbor will be there in minutes. The other day I needed to clean my battery posts in my car and asked him a question. Instead of just answering, he did the whole job for me, including putting it back together.

I came home last week and the front of my house had been mowed and weedeated. Thanks, "neighbor I don't know."

So any way, the question in translation is; many, if not most of you seem to be angry at people who chose a different lifestyle from you - why does that upset you? Shouldn't you be happy that us "cidiots" don't come up and crime up and yuppify your town? Of course you should, we'll just screw it up!

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST! But why? Because your stereotypes are exactly what City_Boi was talking about

Just as he mentioned, you all hate redneck, backwoods stereotypes, but are quick to label everyone in the city as idiots who sit in traffic 9 hours a day.
OK fair nuf. I'll clarify a bit more. I prefer the rural life, mainly because it's what I'm used to. The situations I described about the city are a bit cliche', so, to elaborate I'm not used to such things, so, they stand out to me. I don't 'hate' the city, or city people, I don't think I stereotyped the people, just the conditions of city life. Environmentally speaking. That was my intent , anyway. So, I prefer rural life to city life because of the environmental differences. If I was raised in the city it would probably be the other way around. It's all in what your used to. If I had to move to a city, for whatever reason, it would be purgatory to me, change don't come easy to most folks. That clear things up any?

Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 PM

411 posts, read 1,161,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Well, I can see where this thread is going to go from the last couple posts, but here is my answer anyway.

Yes I have something against the big city. No I do NOT have anything against the people who live in big cities. Yes I just prefer small towns.

What do I have against big cities? violent crime for one thing. Don't lecture me about how small towns have the same crime problems big cities do either, I know better. Big cities have more violent crime, small towns have more petty crime generally. In the 152 years my small town has been named and considered a town, there has NEVER been a murder. When was the last murder in your big city? or should I ask how many today? Assaults? There are 1 or 2 a year and usually involve a couple drunks. Robberies? 1 in the last 10 years. Rapes? there was 1 back in 2005 and I think 1 in 2004. I have lived big city life and while it was fun for a short time it isn't for me.
Traffic is another reason I can't stand the big city. 9 Hours a day? come on, who even insinuated that? What was said is that traffic is much worse in big cities than in small towns. That statement is 100% true. It doesn't mean us dumb hicks think you spend the majority of the day stuck on the freeway sucking fumes, it just means you spend MORE time than we do dealing with traffic. At the ONE stop light in town today was as much traffic as I have had to deal with all summer - a truck pulling a camper, a pick-up, and 2 cars were ahead of me; for us in small towns that is a busy day and added a whopping 10 or 15 seconds to our commute. How much time do you have to allow to travel 10 miles at 5 PM in your city taking the major routes? I have to allow about 12 minutes to go 10 miles at that time.

People? I have met some really great people while living in big cities. Personable, friendly, outgoing and generally fun to be around. Same can be said for help at restaurants, gas stations, and any other place you can go. I also had great neighbors in the cities I have lived in, so I know what you mean by them being friendly. The major difference I have seen between big city neighbors and small town neighbors are the size of the yards you mow for them when they are on vacation. Cities you tend to have small yards because space is valuable and expensive, while in my small town a 1/2 acre lot in town isn't that unusual. One neighbor/friend has a 6 acre lot in town, another has a 3 1/2 acre lot in town.

Prefer a small town? Yes I do. I don't like hustle and bustle, I don't like traffic noise, I don't like traffic at all to tell the truth. I can leave to go to the beach and forget to shut the front door for a few hours and laugh when I pull back into the driveway instead of having a panic attack. (Son left the front door open last week... again) House keys? Really, you have those and actually USE them? No that is not being foolish or stupid either, that is small town mindset. Everybody knows everybody, all the neighbors watch out for each other and each others houses. If you want to live in the big city and find it more your speed and a better fit, great! If somebody wants to change and give the small town a try, great! Just don't keep trying to compare a town of 1200, to a city of 1.2 million; just as the majority of those who move to the big city from the small towns don't try to vilify the city because it isn't small. If I don't think the city life is all that great, don't ask the question then attack somebodies answer when it doesn't agree with your own mindset. All that does is make this a thread you started on this particular forum in order to start a flame war.
What I am trying to say is that you have some stereotypes that are simply not true. No crime in small towns? You need to get out more. There may be little crime in your town, but it certainly isn't like that in every small town across the US. I mean seriously. You have this idea that in every small town you can leave your house unlocked and have nothing stolen. That is not true for all small towns. I have a cousin who went to middle school in a small town and on the first day he said that they told them not to be alarmed by the sound of gunshots? Does that sound like a crime free small town? I think not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTrail View Post
From my original post:
"I do have something against big cities."
"That doesn't mean that I have something against big-city people -- well maybe certain big city people, yeah."
"I don't like cities. I understand that some people do. ... If it works for you, fine. It won't for me because I've lived it, and I tend to be bored and wind up broke when I spend more than a day or two in a big city."

I thought that covered the original question pretty well, but maybe you read it differently than I did.

Like someone else said, you're not going to convince me that big cities have less crime than small towns. Not even diving into the stats, I can point to the fact that I've had my car broken into three times when I lived in cities, and my parents' home in the upper-middle class part of a city has been broken into twice. And the gap gets bigger the more violent the crime.

As for solicitation, you can look at it as prostitution. I've been solicided by a prostititute several times in D.C., NYC, Prague, etc. Never in the a small town. You can also consider it to be panhandlers (none in my small town), people knocking on my door selling their religion or lines of knock-off jewelry (again, never happened in my rural community), or you can look at it as being people trying to peddle their independant newspapers and other publications to passers-by.

Wow, you totally took my statement out of context, and I'm sure you know that. I didn't hint in the slightest that public transportation isn't a good thing. I said that I pity those people who haven't learned the basic independance of going out and seeing what America and the general world around them has to offer.

As I said in my orginial post, I'm fine with people who like their cities as long as they are able to respect that I like my life in the country.
Once again, I will say that you too need to get out more. It is extremely naive to assume that all small towns are crime free. C'mon now. Not all small towns are white picket fence, friendly main street, well-kept towns. You must know that. I mean, this is what I'm talking about. I say that you have these stereotypes that cities are crime-filled and full of rude people. While you may admit that those stereotypes aren't always true, you still insist that small towns are all safe with clean friendly main streets. That is also a stereotype!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
OK fair nuf. I'll clarify a bit more. I prefer the rural life, mainly because it's what I'm used to. The situations I described about the city are a bit cliche', so, to elaborate I'm not used to such things, so, they stand out to me. I don't 'hate' the city, or city people, I don't think I stereotyped the people, just the conditions of city life. Environmentally speaking. That was my intent , anyway. So, I prefer rural life to city life because of the environmental differences. If I was raised in the city it would probably be the other way around. It's all in what your used to. If I had to move to a city, for whatever reason, it would be purgatory to me, change don't come easy to most folks. That clear things up any?
Thanks! Finally an honest post that's not full of stereotypes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
My Daughter came visit from the city.She asked where our Restroom was? I pointed down the path to the Outhouse.She decided to wait.

Later I asked if she wanted to go to the Store with me? Yes.We get up there I pull up by the Gas Pumps.She asked if they had a Restroom? I pointed down the path to the Outhouse. What is the matter with you people,don't any of you people believe in Indoor Plumbing.
I am going to have to side with your daughter 110%

Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM

261 posts, read 1,268,627 times
I don't think anyone said that small towns didn't have any crime. People, including myself, said they had less crime than big cities and less violent crime.

Also, those gunshots near the middle school. Those are hunters, not gangbangers. I can't believe that had to be spelled out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living