U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 06:31 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,904,488 times

Advertisements

This is how the day went--wasn't great, but, suuuuure could have been crummy, and it reminds me why I like small towns.

I'm coming home this morning from picking up a tractor part and my truck quits running close to my house out in the country. I get it into a neighbor's drive into one of his pastures off of the road. I'm fidding with the truck and another kind of neighbor pulls up and gives me a ride home.

I have car insurance with roadside service. I call and they want to set up a tow for me. They have no one in their national data base for my town (which is a stretch to call it that). I tell them to call Andy at ***** Towing and give them the number. I tell them the keys are in it and have them take it to Rockin P Diesel. The insurer asks who to leave it with. I tell them Bubba. She is kind of amazed--"I didn't know anyone was really called that."

She calls back and tells me she has the tow arranged--said that Andy knew where I lived and I didn't need to sign anything for him, and (of course) he knew where Bubba's place was.

Bubba calls awhile later , said he's got it fixed. I can come get it, or he can send someone after me, or I can get it this evening, he'll leave the keys in it. I can pay him when I see him, or leave the money in his mailbox.

I go get it. While there, there are a couple of deputies there drinking coffee--we know each other. So we visit for awhile. After a bit, one gets a call about a theft from a particular address--scrap metal. We all look at each other and say the same name...

Later in the day, my wife is driving home from work and it's pouring rain. We're talking on the phones and she says she just passed a man with one leg on crutches walking down the road. She tells me she's stopping to give him a ride. I tell her to at least leave the phones connected so I can hear when the psycho goes, well, psycho. What I hear is this..."Hey, do you need a ride? Aren't you *****? Isn't ***** your momma? Get in."
She gives him his ride no problems.

Sorry for the long post...no real point to all this except that it's these types of connections that make living in a small town special.

I like it here, even when my truck breaks down in the rain.

Last edited by skinem; 08-20-2009 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:24 AM

1,354 posts, read 5,804,350 times
Small towns do have their advantages.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 AM

5,435 posts, read 10,048,323 times
Lovely story..yes, there's more trust and kindness in a small town "where everyone knows your name." It's one of the wonderful benefits of living in one.

Thanks for telling us your story.. I enjoyed it, nicely told...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living