Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,098,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocutie View Post
My husband and I love trains. Can anyone tell me about small, quaint towns that have trains? When we retire in a few years that is one of our top priorities--find a small town with trains. Thanks in advance for your input.
Chehalis/Centralia, Washington would be a great place, I also love trains myself and I also love to count the freight cars as they go by, I also love the sound of the railroad crossing lights going off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Several trains have lost their brakes from being overloaded comin down Cajon Pass between San Bernardino and Barstow in the San Bernardino/San Jacinto mountain of So, California.

CAJON PASS (So, Calif,)
Attached Thumbnails
love trains-cajon-pass.jpg   love trains-cajon-pass.2.jpg  

Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 AM

114 posts, read 268,251 times
Stealthrabbit has it right! Excellent advice. Stevenson WA. I'm a railfan and have a branch line in my back yard but when I want to see more action, the Columbia Gorge is a good place to be.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:24 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocutie View Post
Bydand, We're looking for a train that runs through it. I also should have stated that we like mountains, cold weather, and snow. I suppose that really narrows areas down quite a bit, doesn't it? Thanks for your replies so far.
Try McCloud, CA. The train is strictly an excursion train, but it runs alot. I am pretty sure there is a regular train route outside of McCloud.

McCloud Chamber of Commerce, Northern California

The views of Mt. Shasta are amazing. McCloud River and the falls are just outside of town a little ways.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 AM

811 posts, read 1,386,439 times
You would LOVE Jim Thorpe, PA!! It is in eastern PA near the Poconos, and its history is rich in railroading and coal mining. (It was originally called Mauch Chunk). It sounds like it would have everything you're looking for- railroad, BEAUTIFUL little town, mountains, and the gorgeous Lehigh River Gorge, with its rail-to-trail path for biking and hiking, and a perfect river for rafting and kayaking. I recently took a train trip there from my town near Scranton, and it was one of the best things I've ever done.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 AM

120 posts, read 316,531 times
Roanoke, Virginia. Home of the steam engine. Beautiful city. Small, yet has all the things folks look for in big cities like healthcare and shopping and music and art. Mountains. Mild climate. Low cost of living. Nice people. Safe. And trains. Lots and lots of trains.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 AM

185 posts, read 647,976 times
Cold Spring, NY, hudson river town in Putnam county, a suburb of NYC, very quaint and on the the U.S. Historic Places registry. And it has a (commuter) train stop at the end of main st.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Talking Rail-Fan ? Yes !

I am a rail-fan and used to have model trains as a kid. We live about a block from the tracks with grain elevator sidings and I like hearing them bumping the cars about putting together a grain train !
Here are a few pics I took between Conrad Montana and Shelby Montana.

Th old General Mills Elevator next to the old Conrad Depot.

Getting ready to blow some barley into a hopper car.

I don't think this is what it looks like although it does get windy on the High-Line.

I think they took it off the tracks to replace the trucks off the side of a siding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living