Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

The point is moot, since we don't have basements down here for the most part, and we're not likely to start digging them just because some folks move here from places where they're common and get flabbergasted that things aren't identical to where they came from. And the storm shelter IS underground; it's just not under a house, that was the point, not whether it's underground or not.

Being killed under the house wasn't the issue, either, it was being trapped under the house, which assumes that you weren't killed, that the house fell down on top of the storm shelter's entrance and then you couldn't get out. BIG difference.

Just as an aside, I did see one septic tank that had been pulled out of the ground and moved about mile by the F5 - don't know the circumstances there, but it definitely gave me pause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I think being trapped in a storm shelter for a long time if you live in a remote area is an irrational fear.

Most tornados ( yes, even F-5's) do not cut a very wide swath as they move.( rare to see the swath over a quarter or a half mile wide)

Thus ,if you live in a sparsely populated area, there woulsd be few houses for the County Sheriff/rescue squads to check out.

You do have county sheriffs/rescue squads in Texas?

I would be much more concerned if I lived in a bigger city cuz that quarter mile swath would mean many ,many, more houses destroyed that had to be checked for survivors.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:04 AM

The F5 that came through here was a quarter mile wide. The damage, of course, from the winds associated with it that were not a direct part of the tornado itself, covered a wider area (we were 4 miles away and didn't get more than hail and some wind damage then). For that matter, as I said, the straight line winds (which are quite damaging) can necessitate using the storm shelter and, as I pointed out, CAN and DID move things and place them squarely on top of the storm shelter door.

However, I find it interesting that you are so opposed to taking such things into consideration when deciding where to site one's storm shelter. Apparently you also object to my taking personal experience into account when considering where one should be placed, as well - one wonders why that is.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Me thinks you are paranoid

Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Nope, not at all. Just try to take all known factors into account, and apply a little reason, when making decisions like this. Just like with anything else. Since I KNOW from experience that the door to the storm shelter can be blocked due to winds placing debris on it, it would be foolish of me not to take that into consideration.

Disagreeing with you, and noting that from your posts you seem to feel very strongly about someone not doing that, does not constitute paranoia, either.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM

However, TexasHorseLady, it is a trade off.

If the #1 consideration for location of a tornado structure is not being blocked in after you survived a tornado, then the location should be in an open field far way from the house.

But, as other posters have pointed out, the further away from the house the shelter is, the less likely you are to be in it when it does hit.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 AM

I believe I pointed out that the storm shelter in question is located close enough to the house to be reached pretty quickly - I just this minute timed it and it's less than 20 seconds at a walk (which I wouldn't be doing - I'd be running).

That's a good compromise - easily and quickly reached, but not underneath the house (or in it). Since tornadoes generally give some warning (and when conditions are conducive, we have plenty of warning of that and can keep an eye on things, plus, well, the air just feels different when there's going to be one, I've learned), the risks are pretty easily balanced.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:12 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,514,426 times
Well, My tornado shelter is.....

Getting in my closet,Sitting down,Putting my head between my legs and...

Kissing my ass...
Good-by

Thats it!
Okie

Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Being killed under the house wasn't the issue, either, it was being trapped under the house, which assumes that you weren't killed, that the house fell down on top of the storm shelter's entrance and then you couldn't get out. BIG difference.

Having a house cave in on you is one of my concerns, but being trapped is also.

Just as an aside, I did see one septic tank that had been pulled out of the ground and moved about mile by the F5 - don't know the circumstances there, but it definitely gave me pause.
Mother Nature is not to be messed with. The power of a storm is really unfathomable until you've personally lived through one. I haven't ever been in even a small tornado, less being in an F5, but can tell from your response, Texas Horse Lady's, just how much is has affected you.

[quote=marmac;10849805]I think being trapped in a storm shelter for a long time if you live in a remote area is an irrational fear.

Maybe it's an irrational fear, to be trapped, but maybe being trapped and also injured and unable to get medical attention or communicate the need for medical attention, is very concerning.

I would be much more concerned if I lived in a bigger city cuz that quarter mile swath would mean many ,many, more houses destroyed that had to be checked for survivors.[/QUOTE]

Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_Dokie! View Post
Well, My tornado shelter is.....

Getting in my closet,Sitting down,Putting my head between my legs and...

Kissing my ass...
Good-by

Thats it!
Okie
LOL...hope it never comes to that!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM

141 posts, read 330,093 times
Here's a website to check out. This is the only place I go for my shelters.
Hurricane Shelters, Hurricane Protection, Storm Shelters, Storm Cellars, Tonado Shelters, Hurricane Shelters - American Storm Shelters - Storm Shelters, Storm Cellars, Tonado Shelters, Hurricane Shelters - American Storm Shelters & Cellars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living