Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:55 AM

935 posts, read 1,649,706 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure which forum for this, so:

and it also got a little long

I have a spot, 10 acres wooded, among 8 or 10 others of comparable size (5-15 acre tracts) on a dirt road. In '79, when I bought it, it was out in the sticks; now, of course,
neighbors are everywhere. Although it can still get quiet, reality is that 'why didn't I buy 20 miles further out and get 30 acres', you know what I mean ?

The problem is a neighbor and his dogs. He releases them to the wild when he gets home from work, and lets them run wild and free 'till whenever. They are hound type dogs that run any wildlife outta the area, and bark and run all over the area, on fresh trails or scents or something that dogs love to do.

They also get into my stuff, my barn, my out building, my grillin' spot, everything, and drag stuff off. AND of course, they leave piles in the spot where my footfalls, not in the
owners footfall. Probably a territory thing (for the dogs) as well as a sorrya** no respect neighbor. I have encountered the dogs, single generally at a time, but my rock throwin' ain't what it once was, and I haven't made a good impression on them yet. I have also taken to have a BB gun on hand when they are released, still unsuccessful on making an impression.

This is an area on the farside of a rural county and the animal control solution is a chance of slim and none. People around are far enough away to where we aren't chattin' neighbors, we talk maybe once in five years; good neighbors, if you ask me. Except for these new (about a year, maybe) ones that have loose dogs and multiple dirt bikes that haul a** up and down the dirt road all day long (in season); I have never met or could not recognize if standing in line next to him at the grocery store.

I need to develop a strategy that will tactfully yet assertively, let this sweet ole boy know how to be a good neighbor. H E L P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
I can't really offer a solution.

I will address the problem--------"8 or 10 oters of comparable size ( 5-15 acre tracts)

What that tract size does is allow people to move there to get away from a smaller lot in town and live like they own a section (640 acres) when in reality they ownly own a very large lot.

Check your state regulations.
In some states the game warden must shoot dogs who are chasing deer and private citizens are allowed to shoot a dog if it is chasing deer.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 AM

136 posts, read 378,966 times
Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post

I have a spot, 10 acres wooded, among 8 or 10 others of comparable size (5-15 acre tracts) on a dirt road. In '79, when I bought it, it was out in the sticks; now, of course,
neighbors are everywhere. Although it can still get quiet, reality is that 'why didn't I buy 20 miles further out and get 30 acres', you know what I mean ?

The problem is a neighbor and his dogs. He releases them to the wild when he gets home from work, and lets them run wild and free 'till whenever. They are hound type dogs that run any wildlife outta the area, and bark and run all over the area, on fresh trails or scents or something that dogs love to do.

They also get into my stuff, my barn, my out building, my grillin' spot, everything, and drag stuff off. AND of course, they leave piles in the spot where my footfalls, not in the
owners footfall. Probably a territory thing (for the dogs) as well as a sorrya** no respect neighbor. I have encountered the dogs, single generally at a time, but my rock throwin' ain't what it once was, and I haven't made a good impression on them yet. I have also taken to have a BB gun on hand when they are released, still unsuccessful on making an impression.

This is an area on the farside of a rural county and the animal control solution is a chance of slim and none. People around are far enough away to where we aren't chattin' neighbors, we talk maybe once in five years; good neighbors, if you ask me. Except for these new (about a year, maybe) ones that have loose dogs and multiple dirt bikes that haul a** up and down the dirt road all day long (in season); I have never met or could not recognize if standing in line next to him at the grocery store.

I need to develop a strategy that will tactfully yet assertively, let this sweet ole boy know how to be a good neighbor. H E L P
so before you have even met the owner you are writing here? contact him and ask him to do something about it he is your neighbor and i would be real careful about shooting dogs for many reasons, one reason is the year in jail you could do for it. go introduce yourself and tell him you are tired of stepping into dog poop could he fence them up or something. all he needs is a cheap metal fence that he can make a dog run out of and then he can let them out when he gets home, its not your job to babysit them. if he's a jerk call the dog catcher when they are on your property and have them picked up. when he has to bail them out he'll get tired of paying real quick.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post

Free roaming dogs, that run wildlife, chase stock, get into the trash and are a general nuisance get shot around here.Sounds harsh, yes, but we cannot tolerate such things. Free roaming dogs are a danger, pure and simple. I see your dilemma, this solution would probably not work to well for you. Unless, of course, these dogs were to just , mysteriously, disappear. Like an 'ah well, coyotes musta got em'' thing. Nuisance dogs frost me

Old 10-20-2009, 09:52 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
I can tell you what I've done but people who let their dogs run free like that generally don't get it no matter what you do, so there is no tactful way to say it without making enemies.

I have dogs myself and when strange dogs have wandered over here, I have tied notes to the dogs' collars asking that they please keep their dogs at home, as I would hate to see anything bad happen to them. If I have known who the owner of the dog was, I have also written an anonymous letter to them - nothing mean - just asking them to keep their dogs at home. Free running dogs have a good chance of being shot by a neighbour, or run over by a car and in case the folks who own the dog don't know that, I'm advising them of that as nicely as possible.

It is usually a very bad idea to talk to the owner directly because the owner sees it as a personal attack no matter how nicely, politely and everything else you go about it and if the dog eventually turns up missing, even if you didn't do a thing, you will be the first suspect.

I might add that none of the things I have tried have worked: when I tied notes to the dog's collar, the dog came back the next day, same time, without a collar for me to tie the note on. That continued until I caught the dog, called animal control and had them pick him up.

Another time I gave a dog away to a family who lived far away and who wanted a dog. It seemed a better choice than shooting the dog, or giving it to animal control, which would have amounted to the same thing.

And that's the only thing that ever solved a wandering dog problem. I do not like the idea of shooting a dog at all, although my husband did do that to a chicken and calf-killing dog, but not without that the owner had received fair warning numerous times from other neighbours.

You could pick up some live traps possibly, if the dogs are too wild to come to you, and taken them to the pound yourself.

It's just too bad that there are irresponsible dog owners out there. It's never the dog's fault.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 AM

1) I think that is what he is already doing, releasing them when he gets home. and hey, that's why I'm wondering aloud to this forum BEFORE I go see him. 2) There is no CHEAP metal fence that keeps a dog penned, and like I said, 3) animal control is not gonna sit out here and wait for it to happen (oh, to be so easy).

Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboy2454 View Post
so before you have even met the owner you are writing here? contact him and ask him to do something about it he is your neighbor and i would be real careful about shooting dogs for many reasons, one reason is the year in jail you could do for it. go introduce yourself and tell him you are tired of stepping into dog poop could he fence them up or something. all he needs is a cheap metal fence that he can make a dog run out of and then he can let them out when he gets home, its not your job to babysit them. if he's a jerk call the dog catcher when they are on your property and have them picked up. when he has to bail them out he'll get tired of paying real quick.
In the original post, the OP says that the owner releases the dogs when he gets home, so they are confined during the day, but when he releases them, he doesn't supervise them and let's them run all over the neighbor's property and chase wildlife and such.

Apparently there's not animal control in the OP's area.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboy2454 View Post
this goes with my above

Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I can't really offer a solution.

I will address the problem--------"8 or 10 oters of comparable size ( 5-15 acre tracts)

What that tract size does is allow people to move there to get away from a smaller lot in town and live like they own a section (640 acres) when in reality they ownly own a very large lot.

Check your state regulations.
In some states the game warden must shoot dogs who are chasing deer and private citizens are allowed to shoot a dog if it is chasing deer.

I'll have to agree with you there; when I bought this piece, I was 19, and it was the best move I have ever made (since, though, I have married, had kids, but it still ranks up there). I suppose I could split it up, sell to surrounding neighbors, cut and run, and start anew, but day-um, life is fulla curveballs, huh ? Selling outright to a new 'homesteader' is kinda turnin' tale to me.

... and I have shot a dog in this same situation; there has gotta be a better way (am I getting old and mellow ?) I haven't seen my family of deer in goin' on two years now, forget about the turkey(s).

Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
On my land the rule is shoot shovel and forget it ..
Dogs that free run like your neighbors ARE a problem .. and fact is the owners of such dogs don't get "it" until the dogs don't come home and even then the learning curve is an issue for some folks .. and I keep shooting and burying .. I dont let my dogs run free because thats the rule I expect to see applied to them for tresspassing .. yeh yeh I know .. cruel mean person but what do you think the idiot owner of free running dogs is ?
thats a sad fact of living in a rural area for city folks they are either dumb or fools ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living