Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

In my hometown, where I lived for 25 years altogether at various points in my childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood, my political convictions were a major departure from the norm, as well. However, there were a lot of ways that I did fit in culturally...just not that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 06:39 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
FWIW I think people with "different" opinions are more accepted out West than in other regions.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,314 times
Quick question, since there seems to be a decent amount of people from small towns posting on here. Any recommendations any one can give me to move too? I currently live in a small town in OR. Population is about 8000, and it's getting to big. I don't care if I have to drive an hour to get to walmart, as that is what I already do. I don't care if I have to drive down a dirt road, I live down a dirt road. I grew up on a horse ranch, and desperately want to move to somewhere where it's OK to have horses again. I just got a divorce so I am looking to get away from the ex inlaws... I can't stand big cities though, so I need to go to another small town.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:41 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
There are tons of small towns, problem is employment. If you want to stay in Oregon I'd try the Oregon forum. If you want general recommendations and want to move farther away I'd suggest N/NW Nebraska and South Dakota.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkey View Post
Quick question, since there seems to be a decent amount of people from small towns posting on here. Any recommendations any one can give me to move too? I currently live in a small town in OR. Population is about 8000, and it's getting to big. I don't care if I have to drive an hour to get to walmart, as that is what I already do. I don't care if I have to drive down a dirt road, I live down a dirt road. I grew up on a horse ranch, and desperately want to move to somewhere where it's OK to have horses again. I just got a divorce so I am looking to get away from the ex inlaws... I can't stand big cities though, so I need to go to another small town.
Don't know where in Oregon you are, but there are a lot of choices...in Oregon.

Check out northeast or southeast Oregon. I used to live there...lots of empty, lots of distance between places, lots of places to get lost and feel like you're the only one around. One ranch we lived on was so remote and quiet that you could hear someone coming at night for more than 10 minutes before they arrived...

Only problem with those areas are that there aren't lots of jobs...

You want any more specific recommendations, or questions DM me.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkey View Post
Check out Oklahoma. The only 2 big cities are Tulsa and Oklahoma City. The rest are medium, small and smaller towns. Most small towns still have country life in them and Rodeo's are still a top sport in some areas.

Warning!

OK is no where near the "fast lane" as is the west coast.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
I never understood people with the logic "you should stay where you're from." No one has any control over where they're born so they should be free to move if they choose.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Many who claim they don't fit in are those who move to rural area and immediately start complaining about things like smells, sounds, farm equipment (here on the Chesapeake it's the watermen working their crab pots), hunting, lack of amenities they're used to, lack of shopping, lack of specialty stores and restaurants, etc.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,314 times
Honestly, I would rather get as far away from OR as possible, get a complete fresh start, and be as far away from my ex-wife and her family as possible. I just don't have any clue about anywhere other than here. Granted, I am a transplant to this town, and I have only lived here as long as I have been married (5 years) I could go back to where I came from, but I would prefer not to. I don't have any family anywhere, so there is nothing holding me to anywhere, and depressed economy doesn't bug me. I can get a job anywhere no matter what the economy is like, because I am a good solid hard worker. I am only 24, so work is still easy to come by. If I could get a town name recommendation, or anything like that, for say, Montana, Wyoming, or even places like South Carolina. Not as fond of the states down south, cause I don't like the heat. Will get used to anything though.

PS: I also don't care if it's not the "fast lane"... I am tired of all the stupid yuppees trying to turn these small towns into big towns anyways. And to bring this post back towards being on topic... If you want to fit in in a small town, try taking on what the town is... Don't try and change the place back to where you came from. We get alot of CA people over here... and those idiots come out here saying "I am so tired of CA" yet they come out here, and try to make this place like CA... They try to complain because there are "bad smells" or because they had to leave the house a whole five minutes earlier because "that tractor" was in their way... They try to change the highway to an expressway, that way farmers have to go way out of their way to get the food we eat to us. If you want to fit in. Just fit in. Don't change the town to be like what you used to have. When you move to the small towns, remember, you moved out there to get away from the big city, so don't bring it with you.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:15 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
m0nkey
Whitewood SD or Lead SD would most likely be worth looking in to from what you've stated.
Both quite rural and down to earth - with a good amount of nature and activities to help one keep their mind free of the BS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living