Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:43 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times

Advertisements

Franconia NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Anywhere in western NC or eastern TN, north GA would probably work for you. Of the 3 I think TN has the best (lowest) tax structure, relatively good electric rates.

This area, to include Dahlonega, GA, is pretty darn rainy though. Having been rained on while riding bike more than a few times.

To think outside the box, what about the area around Denver, CO?

Atlanta traffic is beyond awful, I wouldn't go there.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 PM

135 posts, read 387,167 times
Well what kind of work were you looking for, there are mountains here in PA but unless you are equipped with some skill or willing to work at a Distribution Center your job opportunities are kind of slim I would think anywhere you go,
but where I live I am right in the eastern side of the Appalachians with the Trail about 20 minutes away and there is job opportunities like I have mentioned earlier and a chance to go back to school if you want to go that route plus there is things to go do if you want just depends what you would like and these times are dependent on traffic flow and road work ,Philly is about an hour away, Reading is 40 minutes, Hershey is about 45 minutes, Allentown about the same, Harrisburg 45-60 minutes, Atlantic City is 1 1/2 to 2 hours away,D.C. is about 2-3 hours away. There is jobs but that depends mostly what you want to do there are distribution centers to go work at.
Now if you are looking to get a career instead of a job and want to go back to school there is quite a few here and other options like at the reading hospital they have a nursing school and a radiologist program that if you sign on to stay for a predetermined length of time with the hospital they will take care of all or most of your education financing, then there is McCann that has some good courses to get you started on a new path in life, among several good colleges to choose from.
This is just to give you some ideas what is available here but check it out for yourself and this can be more than just finding a job, the industries that is around here are good but tough to get in since they have fewer openings that come available.
Good Luck

Old 01-29-2010, 11:26 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlpspirit View Post
Hello,

I grew up in Black Mountain NC and was forced to move to Greenville SC due to lack of job opportunities and how expensive the cost of living was there. Needless to say, I hate it down here. People are not friendly and Job opportunities are not up to par to what everyone was saying.

I would like to find a semi small town in the mountains somewhere in the US that isn't too far from society and isn't too expensive to live in. I love the mountains and forest. And my husband likes society and people... so we're trying to get the best of both worlds.

I was looking at NC, TN, WV, and VA.
Anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking for months and can't find the information I'm looking for on towns.

This is what I'm looking for as well. I hope you find your perfect town!

pnc

Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,278 times
North Central WV. Post this over at the WV forum and you'll get lots of opinions.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:45 PM

135 posts, read 387,167 times
Forgot to mention that I am in Schuylkill County originally from western PA

Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM

536 posts, read 413,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlpspirit View Post
Does anyone know anything about Townsend TN? I like a place in the mountains.
Or perhaps Rabun County in GA? I did some research on this one and saw that jobs a very very low. Then again I think its like that everywhere.
Or have any other suggestions?

I live in Rabun county. There are no jobs I have lived here 3 years and had 1 job! They closed the only factory we had about 4 years ago it seems like now. Noone has bought it so its just sitting there. The major employers are Home Depot and Wal Mart. You are 30+ miles from any other shopping besides that. In the summer a lot of tourists and floridians like to come here for the summer as well bc its cooler so tons of traffic. Not much crime the usual petty stuff. Anything else you want to know I can tell you. Oh yeah rent is not exactly cheap here. 1 to 2 bd yer looking at 600$ + a month

Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
I love Rabun County - it's so pretty there. I'd move in a heartbeat if I could, but the real estate seemed kind of expensive to me. It seems like the local folks would be priced out of the market. Unfortunately, the area seems to have become a vacation home paradise for the wealthy folks from Atlanta and Florida. It's a shame because it's such a beautiful area.

Blessings,
pnc

Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 AM

9 posts, read 70,733 times
Default want a small mountain town?

I doubt you want to pick up and move across the country but....
if traveling doesn't bother you and you want a small mountain town,
gorgeous with beautiful forests to boot....Sisters Oregon is the place to
go. It's small, classy little shops of anything you would want and quiet. Close to Bend Oregon and snow skiing if that's your thing. If you like water, hey, white water rafting and rushing rivers that seem untamed are there. Fishing, golfing, you name it. Forests are phenominal. Rock climbing can't be beat. Eagle Crest nearby with spas etc. Cleanest air, purest water and super people. Couldn't do better!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Floyd, Virginia is very nice and very small. It isn't too far from Roanoke and it's a drop-dead gorgeous area. Regarding North GA ... It's okay but the last time I was there, it seemed to be getting way too populated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living