Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 AM

21 posts, read 110,317 times

Advertisements

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

What is your opinion on wind farms? Seems like a lot fo these are popping up these days and i am looking into maybe starting a few up myself. So, i thought i would gage everyone's personal views on them. I ahve done some extensive research so please feel free to give me your honest opinion or question you might have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 01:47 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
The first time I saw them was in California, lo these many years ago . I think they are a great idea. Anytime we can harness the power of nature to produce energy it is a good thing.

They are getting ready to open an Ethanol plant near me, but I am wondering where they are going to sell the fuel. None of the gas stations have E-85 pumps ......

Old 07-25-2006, 04:54 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,382 times
ORRINO, My family and I live on Interstate 20 in TX. We see big trucks carrying windmill blades (I think) from time to time. I haven't investigated, but figured that if they are clean energy, than great! Can you tell me more about them? I'd be interested in hearing more. I believe there are some wind farms being built in the area... Isn't that a good thing?

Old 07-25-2006, 05:14 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Orrino, I think they're great. I live in SD and they have started several up here and there's plenty of wind to generate the power they're looking for. There's been a bit of controversy over birds flying into them. Then there were problems about how to actually move the power to where it's needed. Now the naysayers are saying they interfere with radar. Personally, I think they're a very good deal. It may work totally different in Texas, but there's a company in Minn. and one in Calif. and I'm sure there are others. They pay for the windmills and pay a very good amount per year to set them on your land so you're lucky if they chose your area. You can still farm around them. One of the few qualifications is that you need to have a sub-station within 3(?) miles of the windmill. Maybe you could enlighten us more on how you feel about them and the pros and cons since you've studied about them.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:54 AM

I have an area with a substation within a few miles.

Pros:
They are clean, no fossil fuel in running them, just what you have to have to build them.

Require little maintenance

Production tax credit, big incentive

no fuel required

Cons:
Expensive start up. Estimated to cost on the order of 2-3 million per tower. roughly

Peoples opinion on them is varies.

Some people view them as eye sores.

Misconception on bird kills (tho some evidence exists that supports that the older farms do indeed kill raptors, but ona na average much lower than what a normal building of that size would)

Old 07-31-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer8
ORRINO, My family and I live on Interstate 20 in TX. We see big trucks carrying windmill blades (I think) from time to time. I haven't investigated, but figured that if they are clean energy, than great! Can you tell me more about them? I'd be interested in hearing more. I believe there are some wind farms being built in the area... Isn't that a good thing?
Well, take for example what happened in corpuschristi, where a company is proposing to build a very large offshore wind farm about 8-10 miles out into the gulf. People were rather unreceptive to the project and many thought that the windmills would be hazards to migrating birds. This is a major hurdle that many farmers are being confronted with.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:34 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
There was an article in the Economist a couple of weeks ago about the wind farm industry in Texas. I didn’t know this, but Texas is second only to California to the total number of wind farms in the country.

Anyway, the main article was about Texas companies thinking about entering the business of manufacturing the actual components of the turbines. Almost the entire turbine in now manufactured in Germany and I thought it was great that domestic companies are going to be entering the industry. An increase in manufacturing jobs here in the U.S. along with providing help to the environment. I think it’s great!

Old 07-31-2006, 12:16 PM

11 posts, read 130,799 times
I support anything that uses natural energy like the wind! People may say that it is a hazard to birds, but isn't the pollution we put into the air through the use of other fuels hazardous to all living creatures? I also think that the windmill farms are not an eyesore, they look almost artsy - very cool!

Old 07-31-2006, 02:01 PM

Well, im glad that i made this post, people seem to be very warm to the idea. Now, what if one of these was in yur backyard (so to speak, not literally)?

Clipper liberty is a us based manufacturing company getting in on the market now. They should jsut now be starting up. If you guys have heard of any other turbine manufactuerers in texas, drop me a line please.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:55 PM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
Thumbs up Thumbs Up

Thumbs up on the windmills. Anything to get us away from the oil in the Middle East. I will tell you one of the best places to put it would be Amarillo. That place is almost always windy plus lots of flat open space. Good Luck on your endeavor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living