Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times

Advertisements

Who are you? Are you a city person or a country person? You can't be something in-between or anything else..You can't wear two hats...You have to pledge your allegiance to one side or the other...If you want to be "country" take off your "city uniform" and burn it in a bon-fire to prove your loyalty to us...We are your new kin now...not the people you left behind in those stinking cities...If you want to be an official "city person" leave your overalls and "country ways" behind and join our team..."we do things differently around here."...No "hicks" or "country bumpkins" allowed in our streets or neighborhoods....It's rough and tough to be faced with "either or" type of situations where we have to resign from one club to join another club and have to burn our bridges behind us....How do you feel about it? Can we just be ourselves wherever we live...whatever this means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 05:58 PM

29 posts, read 238,775 times
Just what in tarnation does all this mean? What are you trying to say and/or ask? Are you trying to recruit members to a non-social club???????????

Old 03-20-2010, 11:57 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
I could be wrong but I think the OP was trying to say not to judge people on such narrow grounds as what we think might characterize a "city" person or a "country" person, but that we should just be ourselves, perhaps in response to the "Note to City People" thread.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I could be wrong but I think the OP was trying to say not to judge people on such narrow grounds as what we think might characterize a "city" person or a "country" person, but that we should just be ourselves, perhaps in response to the "Note to City People" thread.
Thanks...I wrote it to remind myself to be a little more objective and less judgemental...No one is "all bad." We come from different cultures and run into big differences and conflicts at times.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:28 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Love the City. Love the Country. Hate folks who whine and complain about either

Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 AM

Some people tend to "leap before they look" so to speak...They don't do enough research before they decide to move to a new area...They don't study the culture and "ways" of a new area ahead of time...They step-in with blinders on in other words with unrealistic illusions and expectations...When things don't turn out as they expected they feel shocked and get mad...They play "poor me" and blame people who live in the area and want to change everything overnight to "suit themselves."...This leads to big conflicts. Don't you think?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I guess I'm going to be the devil's advocate here, because I am BOTH. I live in the burbs rather than the "big city", but I do love having so much within grasp.

I grew up on a dairy farm in California and, and plan to return to the farm within a few years. Am looking forward to it. It isn't the burbs ~ it's actual agricultural land ~ and I won't have so much within grasp as I do now, but it's an easy drive to numerous enjoyments. Other than that, I can handle simple entertainment. I really don't need "excitement" all the time.

What's important to me is WHERE, and CLIMATE. Eastern Oregon wouldn't do it for me because it's hours from Portland, and I would hate to commute that far to the city for medical treatment. It's a half-a-day's drive to the coast. It's also cold in the winter and it snows more ~ not for me.

The issue for me in city living is a different kind of climate ~ political. I'm definitely NOT "lefty" enough. But rural living doesn't guarantee it any different since most of the votes go via where your state's density is ~ cities. But at least you have more control over small-town elects.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 03-22-2010 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 07:04 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
DILIGAF, I'll just be the long hair biker I am and do what ever i please. I live very rural but I might take and keep your city if I have a mind to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living