Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I guess I'm thinking from the standpoint of already having a handful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times
You can look on Craigslist for bottle calves. They usually have quite a few listings. The economics are good for raising beef cattle. The initial investment will set you back a bit, however, assuming you have plentiful pasture, with good water sources, and a working pen, you'll make back your investment in a year or so and then start making a profit.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:16 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
You can look on Craigslist for bottle calves. They usually have quite a few listings. The economics are good for raising beef cattle. The initial investment will set you back a bit, however, assuming you have plentiful pasture, with good water sources, and a working pen, you'll make back your investment in a year or so and then start making a profit.

You might get back 2/3 of your investment in the first year if you have zero expenses .

I never knew a farmer to be so lucky, though.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:57 PM

There are always expenses and risk involved with any investment.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:10 PM

I was watching bred beef cows being auctioned off today.

No way will a person be able to buy them and expect to re-cap their investment in ......"a year or so "...........

(and that is w/o any expense figured in )

C'mon...........lets be realistic.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:07 PM

So, here's one scenario...you buy a commercial first calf black heifer, 3rd stage. You pay $1250. You have good fences and a water supply. She eats pasture and calves successfully. Eight months later you sell her 650 wt. calf for 1.50/lb. = $975. Or wait until the calf is a yearling 800 wt. 1.30/lb. = $1,040. The cow is bred two to three months after she calves. She is carrying calve number two, which is born a year after the first calf. So in one year, you have bought a cow, and had two calves. The second calf is not old enough to sell yet, unless you want to sell it as a bottle calf, but there is value to it. So, you may not make back exactly your initial investment, and there will be expenses such as supplemental grain, minerals, salt, vaccinations, hay, etc. Maybe my timeline is a bit off, and depends on everything going smoothly. Anyway..that's how I was looking at it.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM

Teddy 52...are you out buying 3rd stage heifers? LOL.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:54 PM

No , retired now.

I have had beef cattle from 1967-1982 and dairy cattle from 1982-retirement in 2007.

I've "been around the block" a few times

Old 11-12-2013, 08:09 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
DH and I have always maintained the theory that the cheapest way to get in is to buy old, (bred!) gummers in the winter, feed 'em through til spring, calve them out, summer them if you can and sell the cow in the fall, retaining the heifers and selling the steers.

We ran a ranch for about 6 years where the owner had never sold an old cow.
No teeth in her head? No problem, she'll gain on all the corn left behind when we got to stalks in the winter.

Consequently, we had some cows that were old enough to take to the bar, that were still having calves! A cow can produce a long time, (though obviously it's not good herd management to let them. Younger stock makes the entire herd more efficient) But my husband made the point that those old leg-draggers that are nothing but a bag of bones, raising a calf...THOSE are the genetics we want.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 AM

My husband and I are new to the whole cattle deal. We bought land in Missouri 4 years ago, with no intention of raising beef cattle, but here we are. We started with five first calf heifers. It's been an interesting learning curve. Schedule F is your friend!

Guess there are many ways to approach the business. I do like that idea about old age genetics with buying old cows on their last calf. We've known farmers here who sell their cows when they are getting old to prevent having to face taking them to the killer buyers. They know someone else will buy them, calve them out and sell them. One can get very attached to cows you've known for years, especially with a small herd.

Dairying seems like a hard way to make a profit with government regulations, but I don't know much about how that plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living