Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:49 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Regarding your 2nd paragraph, it is quite evident you have never driven remote roads in rugged areas of the south.

It is amazing how many extra years people can get out of a trailer house after it starts crumbling away.
Maybe but that doesn't represent the entire country. It's not generally like that up here in the more remote places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Another thing -- if you live really far out, it may be cost-prohibitive or logistically impossible to get a lot of the high-end building materials to your home site. So you end up building with what you can get onto the property! I would *love* to have a super-insulated poured concrete root cellar... but there is absolutely no way to get a cement truck onto my site even if one of the companies was willing to make the drive and the concrete mix could be adjusted not to set up in the 4 hour drive time. So, instead, I have to hand mix and shovel in bags of concrete if I want to use it... and that never looks as pretty as poured and vibrated!
Around here, I've been amazed at some of the places concrete trucks, and even pumpers, make it in to. There are some companies that carry the concrete dry and mix it with water on-site. Or at least when they get close, addressing your 4-hour delivery time. Just the same, it's got to be horribly expensive! I've mixed and poured a lot of bagged 'crete on projects around here. A mixer really helps, tried the wheelbarrow and hoe approach a couple times...darned near died on a hot day with 3/4 of a yard to do.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Regarding your 2nd paragraph, it is quite evident you have never driven remote roads in rugged areas of the south.

It is amazing how many extra years people can get out of a trailer house after it starts crumbling away.
Take a look at "the projects" or any poorer area of any urban location. At least some of those with trailers actually own their own place, and perhaps even a nice piece of property. I can't imagine what it's like to live in a tiny appartment with neighbors just a wall away. Poor bas*ards.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 PM

411 posts, read 1,163,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yes they do. And for the most part we pity those poor people crammed into such a tiny urban area, living on top of each other, and so disconnected from nature.
Oh, please! As if the people are living there against their will?! Have you ever thought that maybe they like living in a dense city? Maybe they pity the people that aren't exposed to so many cultures and ideas as they are. And there are such things as parks. Not everyone in the world can own their own 15 acres of land. And BTW, I read an article once that many Asian people find comfort in living so closely. They are used to it. But of course you just had the typical assumption that everyone is suffering and suffocating each other in cities.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Have you ever thought that maybe they like living in a dense city?
I suppose there might be some people that enjoy peein' on an electric fence too. Doesn't mean I understand it or would choose to do so.

In all honesty, to each their own, if people like city life that's fine with me. I just find it boring and a bit uncomfortable.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:34 PM

40 posts, read 73,212 times
Quote:
Maybe they pity the people that aren't exposed to so many cultures and ideas as they are.
No ones asking anyone to move to the country and in fact I am enjoying the results of rural migration to urban areas. I can see where cities are big and exciting for some people and I encourage more folks to move to cities and remain there where they can all be culturally diverse together...cuz you know, they "find comfort living so closely".

Old 03-15-2010, 01:29 PM

411 posts, read 1,163,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I suppose there might be some people that enjoy peein' on an electric fence too. Doesn't mean I understand it or would choose to do so.

In all honesty, to each their own, if people like city life that's fine with me. I just find it boring and a bit uncomfortable.
Are you serious? Your comparing living in a city to getting your privates electricuted? It's perfectly fine that you don't like cities, but c'mon, get real....

Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,923,468 times
Man, this thread is starting to degenerate and there isn't really any need for everyone to get defensive. Golem made a stereotype comment in post 22 about people in the country being hermits and living in shacks, which many found offensive... so some anti-city stereotypes started popping up. But seriously folks, people who love living in cities are never going to truly appreciate why other people love living in the country, and vice versa. It's two completely different temperaments, preferences and desires. Neither one is inherently better, just that one fits each of us better. To each their own.

City_Boi, it sounds like you really don't like living in a small town, even though many of us don't think that your town is particuarly small compared to the places we like living. I'm guessing that you find it boring, stagnant and stifling... as do many people who prefer cities. I hope you get a chance to go live in a big city and that you are happy there and enoy being immersed in the ever-changing cultural diversity. But please understand, that for many people who prefer living in the country, living in such dense urban centers would actually be physically and psychologically painful (yes, akin to peeing on an electric fence).

Anyone is going to be uncomfortable, maybe even miserable, if they're stuck in an environment that goes against their nature... whether that's a city mouse in the country, or a country mouse in the city. But there really is no need for anyone to attack each other or to get defensive... you like what you like, that's valid, you don't have to justify it to anyone else.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,166,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Are you serious? Your comparing living in a city to getting your privates electricuted?
No comparison. I expect living in a city is much worse.

Lived in a city. Never had my "privates electricuted" (sic) so maybe I'm being unfair to the fans of "electricuted" (sic) privates.

Don't know why you're getting bothered about it or seem so incredulous that someone could prefer the country over the city...each to his own. I'm glad so many live in the cities...more room in the country.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Are you serious? Your comparing living in a city to getting your privates electricuted? It's perfectly fine that you don't like cities, but c'mon, get real....
Well, it was actually an attempt at humor, I thought the second sentence clairified that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living