Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 11:11 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,900 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have been searching through GA, SC, NC, VA, and TN main forums and sub forums and feel, as bing would say "Search overloaded." My fiance and I have been planning a move to NC for 2 yrs now. I have done more research than my brain can hold and yet still feel so lost.
We are open to anywhere that offers land, with a decent house (>$300k's), and within driving distance to airports, jobs, ammeneties. I already know "dont move anywhere without a job".. point received, and not moving withouta job. With that said, we are taking an 8 day trip in 5 weeks. We had mentally blocked ourselves to "Charlotte" and now I dont know if thats a great idea. We loved it there but I dont think Union county is a reasonable commute, nor is Rock Hill, SC. Correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE! I just need to open up our search. We need excellent schools for our 4 year old, 3-5 acres, and a fenced backyard.
My commute now is 30 min and up to 1 hr.. its doable, but i dont want to be an hour outside of a major city with no traffic and be stuck for 2.5 hrs when there is.

Our concern: I'm in the law field, so need to be near a court house.. so within driving distance of most downtowns. My fiance is a Master Tech for collision.. he wants to make the same amount he makes here in FL.. or close.

We really are open to anywhere, so please voice your opninions, and why and maybe we'll just swing by that area on our trip in June- we got a baby sitter so we can cover alot of ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
We live in the "country", Winterville, NC, less than 5 mi. outside the city limits of Greenville, NC. The schools are good and if you check into Ayden, Hookerton areas you will be able to get the land and be within 10 miles of shopping and Court House. Good luck, with your criteria it is doable in these areas.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:02 PM

How far of a drive from the Mountains are you? I forgot to put that in my criteria... within 2-3 hrs drive from the mountains. Thanks for your response..

Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,278 times
Take a look at the eastern panhandle of WV. googlemap Shepherdstown or Harpers Ferry WV which are at the eastern most point of WV bordering MD & VA.
It's mostly a rural farming community with enough services & retail in the area for convenience and within an easily commutable distance to the Washington DC job market. Low cost of living, four true seasons, Blue Ridge mountains & Shenandoah Valley converge here as do the Potomac & Shenandoah rivers.
Let me know if you like the area and I'll send you a link to my house w/ 4 ac which is for sale and informational links for the area.
Clint

Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 AM

What are the schools like? Please DM me the link, I'd love to take a look. a map can only say so much. Does it offer a good community,friendly feel to it? I check demographics and it looks ok. Median age is a little higher than we are. 24,35 and a 4 year old. Also, are there alot of Body shops within driving distance? I know DC has alot of public transportation, I wonder if that has an affect on how much work comes into the body shops up there.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:21 PM

167 posts, read 864,301 times
You ought to look into the areas around Chattanooga, TN. There are plenty of little rural and semi-rural towns on the outskirts. Some of them are in the northern most counties of NW GA. It is very mountainous and picturesque. It is not a huge city like Charlotte or Atlanta, but your commute would be much more tolerable. I also agree with the fellow who mentioned the West Virginia panhandle. It seems to have everything you want too, but I'm not sure the commute would be under an hour into Washington DC...

Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,278 times
I sent you a DM with some more information.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Any big city is going to have a sucky commute. I agree with the Chattanooga idea. When you say Courthouse - even small city, bit town county seats have courthouses. I was just in Huntsville Alabama. Smaller city by quite bit, beautiful area, 2 hours south of Nashville and 1.5 north of Birmingham - both too far but that's not the point. Its a county seat. It has an airport. It has a small hospital. Lots of nature.
Madison County, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its just one example of small to medium size cities that are county seats. Every county has one.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 AM

22 posts, read 76,654 times
Not sure if this is too far north for you, but Bellefonte, PA, might be worth looking into. Rural, land, in the mountains, affordable, good schools, courthouse, decent employment possibilities for both of you, close to a small airport, small town feel yet close enough to commute places, decent amenities, etc. Just a thought.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:15 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
This is a small tad above your criteria on both accounts of being "rural" and "40 min" drive....but

LaGrange, Georgia..on the Alabama/Georgia border..within an hour of Atlanta, growing (28,000) yet I'd still say "rural" feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living