Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Ok Harry, Where do you want to race tractors? Or do we just want to start another thread about whose area is more Redneck?

Lets see I'll start... One my my neighbors pickup gave up the ghost. Since we are such good recyclers he made good use of it. He chopped off the bed and made it into a trailer and hitched it up to his other pickup. He gutted out the cab and turned it into a playhouse in his front yard.

So y'all will be at the next Sons of the Confederacy meeting? Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:00 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Sounds like a fine fella. Eko-logikly ahed of his time. I get a hoot out of folks trying to outdo their neighbors to be "green." Some of us "rednecks" could edumakate them good.

"Hey Jim, whacha doin over there?"

"Why, I'm separating my recyclables to help the environment. You should do it too. I'm saving the planet."

"That so?..."
<spits a wad of 'baccy and slowly looks at the little pile of bottles, then the pile of plastic, then the pile of newspapers, sizing them all up> "You always were kinda slow Jim, lets you and me go dumpster diving behind the WalMart tonight. It's kinda embarassin watchin you have to pick through yer own trash lookin for somethin good to give to the gummint... The pickins behind WalMart are MUCH better."

"But you don't understand. I'm getting stuff out of the waste stream so it can be recycled, and cutting down on my carbon footprint."

<looks at Jim's feet with his new $200 sneakers, then looks at his own old work boots>

That so?

<Yessir. Take a look at my car. I bought a new Prius that gets fifty miles per gallon in the city."

"I never could figure that out Jim. You spent all that money to live way out here in the country, where you have to buy a lot of gasoline to get to yer job in the city, so you bought you a little pedal car 'cause the cost of gas was too much fer you. Now you have them high payments on yer pedal car. Kinda slow, ain'tcha Jim?"

"Well it looks better than that old 1970 pickup of yers!"

"Yep, and you pay more for insurance on yers, doncha? I kin buy 100 gallons of gas fer what you pay fer in extra insurance."

"I never could understand you rednecks!"

"Yep, I don't doubt that in the least, Jim. You have a good day, and give my regards to the missus."

Old 05-15-2010, 11:55 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Haha Harry -- I know what you mean. I'm fairly "green" myself, but I didn't even bat an eye when I bought our honkin' V-10 Dodge Ram. It may guzzle fuel like an alcoholic at an open bar, but I don't drive long distances very often and I need the truck for working around my 'Stead. I'm burning less gas than the average commuter working 9-5 in the city in his little POS roller skate with it's wimpy engine and tires that would never survive way out here in the boonies. But everytime I'm in town some wanna-be-greenie gives me grief about my truck and how I'm evil and killing the planet, while standing there with a bage of McD under one arm and a Wally-world bag full of worthless crap in plastic packaging in the other LOL People are funny.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
We also had a "General Delivery" address at the nearest town that would hold items (sometimes large items) for us until we made it into town.
Wait we have a railway car converted to a satellite post office. Does that count??

Old 05-16-2010, 07:58 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Wait we have a railway car converted to a satellite post office. Does that count??
?
If it's a post office, you should be able to get a general delivery address there...doesn't matter what it's housed in.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:24 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,157 times
Fed Ex is terrible!! Once they delivered a package and left it sitting on top of our garbage totes at the end of the driveway. Another time, my husband was tracking his package online, it stated it had been delivered and signed for by someone named French, we have NO nearby neighbors named French. Another time, the package came out of their facility in Louisville, the driver said he couldn't find our address, so the package was sent to Indianapolis, THAT driver couldn't find our address. My husband ended up driving to a facility they have in Columbus. The UPS guy never has a problem finding our address.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:29 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
While we are in a rural delivery district, we still have a street address. Stuff gets left outside, in plastic, and it isn't an issue.....

However, my cousins are just "RD #6, town, state, zip" . They just figured a new solution -- they make an order and tell the seller to write the GPS coordinates of the driveway on the box. They swear they don't have problems now that the shipping world has GPS.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:33 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
We've got our GPS co-ords on record at DMV since they require a physical address of some sort; but our driver's license just has the nearest highway mile post on it (won't allow PO Boxes on the license ).

I've explained this over and over to various retailers, and customer support folks, but they just can't grasp the concept that anyone can live somewhere that doesn't have roads and addresses LOL Try giving them a coordinate and the just sort of go silent on the other end of the phone line.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:15 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
I second that FedEx is the worse. I live in a rural town, with street names and everything. But because the road into town is a mountianious dirt one, they refuse to come more than once a week. It doesn't matter if it is an over-night express package. Ya'll have to wait until Thursday. (Although, it is convenient to them that our address does not flag that issue for anyone paying for that overnight package to come here!) No amount of calling and complaining from people here has fixed the problem.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,350 times
I live in the middle of a Nat'l Forest. In the winter our population is about 50. Most of us do have streets and addresses, but we do not have postal service. I have a PO box at the post office 7 miles down river.
The UPS guy and the Fed-ex guy both do an excellent job, and are on a first name basis with their regular customers. The Fed-ex guy brings biscuits for my dogs. One great thing about Fed-ex is that they deliver freight here. I used to have a very difficult time with things over 100 lbs getting delivered, the drivers wouldn't come when they were supposed to, and things were often damaged. I haven't had any more problems since Fed-ex started taking the heavy stuff.
One minor problem I used to have is that I was not sure how an item would ship, so I didn't know whether to give my street address or my PO box. Then I found out that our Post Mistress knows everybody, so things will go in to my PO box addressed to my street number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living