Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:04 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
bluevelo: He isn't in Midtown, his job is in the Pocket and he's looking for a place to live. And yeah, the Pocket is pretty nice as far as neighborhoods go. As the above poster mentions, dogs are an effective deterrent to burglars, and alarm systems give great peace of mind in that regard.
The Pocket is very nice. Why even commute? Just *live* there LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
The Pocket is very nice. Why even commute? Just *live* there LOL
Apparently he thinks it's unsafe. I think most folks in the Pocket live there and commute elsewhere because they think the neighborhood where they work is unsafe, and the Pocket is safe.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Apparently he thinks it's unsafe. I think most folks in the Pocket live there and commute elsewhere because they think the neighborhood where they work is unsafe, and the Pocket is safe.
That's insane. I jam with a musician that lives with his wife and kids in the pocket, his real day job is a doc, if it were that horrible, doctors wouldn't be living in there with their families.

I think people spend way too much time watching shows like Cops and too much melodramatic news on local TV. Sac has a little seediness to it, but so does *every* city of more than a million metro area size in the US.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 PM

26 posts, read 55,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
But dude, given your comments, I find it hard to believe that you've regularly traveled to SMF on business. The whole town is *not* Oak Park or South Sac.
I have about 9 months of Sac time in the past 3 years. I stay up past Placerville with family while in the area but carpool down to the pocket at least 4 days a week. Perhaps my perception of the area is warped due to spending the vast majority of my time on the southeast side of the Pocket, and traveling around South Sac and towards Elk Grove for work. That is why I originally posted.

I am by no means hysterical about crime and am no stranger to it. Didn't mean to give that impression. Just trying to avoid moving to an area that looks great in the day and has issues at night. (Also why I posted.) Guess that's everywhere though. BTW, I agree dogs are great deterrents. Part of the reason I own them.

I see the Midtown drives and yards upon closer inspection. I typically don't get further east than the federal building when I am north of 50, so I haven't had a good look at the area.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am making a non-business trip later this month that will allow me to get a better feel for the Pocket and the Midtown area. I think the Pocket is the logical choice.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeastro View Post
I have about 9 months of Sac time in the past 3 years. I stay up past Placerville with family while in the area but carpool down to the pocket at least 4 days a week. Perhaps my perception of the area is warped due to spending the vast majority of my time on the southeast side of the Pocket, and traveling around South Sac and towards Elk Grove for work. That is why I originally posted.

I am by no means hysterical about crime and am no stranger to it. Didn't mean to give that impression. Just trying to avoid moving to an area that looks great in the day and has issues at night. (Also why I posted.) Guess that's everywhere though. BTW, I agree dogs are great deterrents. Part of the reason I own them.

I see the Midtown drives and yards upon closer inspection. I typically don't get further east than the federal building when I am north of 50, so I haven't had a good look at the area.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am making a non-business trip later this month that will allow me to get a better feel for the Pocket and the Midtown area. I think the Pocket is the logical choice.
The South side of Sac is prettyyy skanky, including a great deal of Elk Grove. You've missed a lot of the nice parts of town!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM

138 posts, read 510,924 times
I have lived in Sac for about 14 yrs.I have lived 11 of them in the Pocket Greeenhaven area.First I rented then I bought. We have the most prominent people in Sacramento living in our area as well as lots of police and firefighters with their wives and families.My children attend a school that has a waiting list and other schools in the area have waiting lists too. We had one incident with a stolen stereo from my husbands car ,which he must park ouside,but that has been it in the whole time we have lived in this area.We have bike trails,the river,great parks. Folks are always out walking and riding bikes,walking their dogs. I feel completely safe in my part of town.I would LOVE to not have to commute from my part of town.It is so walking,bike friendly that you could easily do that on a daily basis.Good Luck

Last edited by kiwilover70; 06-11-2010 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: ====

Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 AM

Just an update to help finish out the thread. After driving about and looking at the Pocket, Davis, Folsom, and Midtown/East Sac, we have concluded that East Sac and the area near Sac State is the best fit. While the Pocket would be an okay alternative, it felt like the community was older and the area was more suburban than we were looking for. East Sac seems like a nice balance and there is decent single family housing available. BTW, Davis was really underwhelming (not what I would consider a 'great' college town) and Folsom almost too sterile with the new subdivisions and big box stores. Thanks for all the help. I may take the Sac job offer if nothing better comes up in Denver or the Northwest.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 AM

Default Took the Job

So I will be moving to Sacramento and taking the job in the Pocket mid Jan. I am flying in to look for places to live and have about a week to find something. I have done this before in other areas and it always sucks being in a time crunch and looking for housing. So, with my previous posts in mind, does anyone have suggestions for house hunting? I already use the available online resources (craigslist, the bee, sacrentals, hotpads, housingmaps, various property mgt. firms) Is rolling through neighborhoods looking for 'for rent' signs effective? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Btw, I have expanded my search to include areas up 50 all the way to Placerville. I would avoid traffic by leaving at 5am and leaving at 2pm.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 AM

649 posts, read 1,768,951 times
i'd avoid property management companies if at all possible. they always rip you off on your deposits and they rarely respond timely or at all to maintenance issues. in this real estate market i'd rent a house from a private owner; so driving around where you want to live is time consuming but you might find a just what you are looking for. and doing a short term lease with a nice apartment comlex may be a good option while you take your time to look for a house. by-the-way; i haven't lived in sacto for decades and am returning this spring; what area is the "pocket"????

Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 AM

The Pocket is most generally, the area west of the Sacramento Executive Airport, west of I-5. Typically referred to as Greenhaven/Pocket.

I am hip to not wanting to deal with crappy property management companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento