U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:49 AM

8,631 posts, read 16,413,136 times

Advertisements

"Forced to pay"? In return for a pass that gives them transit access all semester, which normally costs $100 a month? Twist my arm, why don't ya!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:18 AM

2,511 posts, read 5,961,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
"Forced to pay"? In return for a pass that gives them transit access all semester, which normally costs $100 a month? Twist my arm, why don't ya!
When you don't have a choice, you are forced to pay it.

I live next to the light rail and was hoping I could take advantage of it when I take an evening class at Sacramento City College in the fall. However, it looks like I'll have to pay for it without having the service available.

RT doesn't isn't much use to me other than to and from SCC, and I never take their buses. The bus service is simply a mobile hip-hop and drug trafficking party closer to the Central City. Once in a while I'll use light rail Downtown/Midtown if I suddenly don't feel like walking.

I tried RT to and from American River College last semester. Once the light rail goes north of Downtown the quality of people goes down rapidly and the ride is far from pleasant when you have to sit among obnoxious people. And the interface between light rail and bus isn't very good either.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 AM

59 posts, read 82,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
When you don't have a choice, you are forced to pay it.

I live next to the light rail and was hoping I could take advantage of it when I take an evening class at Sacramento City College in the fall. However, it looks like I'll have to pay for it without having the service available.

RT doesn't isn't much use to me other than to and from SCC, and I never take their buses. The bus service is simply a mobile hip-hop and drug trafficking party closer to the Central City. Once in a while I'll use light rail Downtown/Midtown if I suddenly don't feel like walking.

I tried RT to and from American River College last semester. Once the light rail goes north of Downtown the quality of people goes down rapidly and the ride is far from pleasant when you have to sit among obnoxious people. And the interface between light rail and bus isn't very good either.
as a Sac State stduent, I believe I ride for free when i present my sac state "one card"

Old 07-19-2010, 02:36 PM

You have to get the semester transit pass (currently a little paper sleeve that slides over your One Card) rather than just showing the card, but it's free if you are a student.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 AM

Is there not a fee charged by CSU for this?

A $5.00 fee for each (fall and spring) semester is charged by Los Rios for each of their campuses.

If you take classes at three different campuses, you are charged $15.00.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 AM

Not a separate fee, no, although I assume the overall cost is paid by CSUS to RT, but it isn't called out as a line item when paying tuition. "Free," much like "free parking," generally means that someone is paying for it, just not directly. I suppose I take it in stride, kind of like the money I am "forced to pay" from my taxes for interstate highways, or the money that the supermarket uses to maintain their parking lot that I don't use.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Not a separate fee, no, although I assume the overall cost is paid by CSUS to RT, but it isn't called out as a line item when paying tuition. "Free," much like "free parking," generally means that someone is paying for it, just not directly. I suppose I take it in stride, kind of like the money I am "forced to pay" from my taxes for interstate highways, or the money that the supermarket uses to maintain their parking lot that I don't use.

It is going to take a lot more than that to convince us you don't use highways or parking lots if you own a car.

Highways are paid for through gas taxes, with the exception of localities where the voters approved some other additional tax. So you more or less pay as you go. If you don't drive much, you don't pay much. Additionally, public transportation is a beneficiary of fuel taxes, so everyone who buys gas or diesel is paying for public transportation.

And parking lots aren't terribly expensive to maintain. The wind blows all the trash to one corner of the parking lot and the company that owns the shopping center pays a Mexican $8.00 an hour to drive a mobile vacuum cleaner along one side of the parking lot to suck up the trash, and that is the end of it.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Which is why I take it in stride, instead of crying about being forced to pay because it isn't quite convenient enough for a particular situation due to crisis-level cuts.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM

379 posts, read 750,046 times
I would love to see lightrail expanded to have a Davis stop, which would be a more reliable and frequent than Amtrak and faster and more pleasant than taking the bus. With all the budget cuts though I'm sure it's just a far-away pipe dream.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Which is why I take it in stride, instead of crying about being forced to pay because it isn't quite convenient enough for a particular situation due to crisis-level cuts.
We wouldn't have crises-level cuts if politicians weren't constantly stealing money from transportation funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento