Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 AM

9 posts, read 39,690 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Sacramento shortly and I am trying to find a great place to live. I am willing to spend $650 - $950 on a one or two bedroom apartment. I would like to have easy access to some basic stores to include a grocery store, Target, some restaurants, coffee shops, fitness place, ect. in the area that I live in. I don't mind driving to other areas to do other shopping (Macys, JcPenney, Sears), but I would like the basics close by.

I would like the area to be safe and decent to live in. I will be working downtown so I would like an easy commute. I haven't decided if I will drive downtown and pay the outrageous parking costs or take the Light Rail. I am weighing in all options.

I am still looking into various areas but I am interested in finding out more about the Land Park, Greenhaven and Pocket areas. I apologize in advance if someone already posted information about these areas. The forum is a little overwhelming!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,184 times
I grew up in the pocket/ greenhaven area. It is a nice area but there is a serious lack of restaurants. There is a few grocery stores and coffe shops for your basic needs. You will often find yourself going downtown or Elk Grove if you eat out a lot. Any particular area of the greenhaven/pocket you are looking at? I can give you some more info depending on which exact part you are looking at.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
I grew up in the pocket/ greenhaven area. It is a nice area but there is a serious lack of restaurants. There is a few grocery stores and coffe shops for your basic needs. You will often find yourself going downtown or Elk Grove if you eat out a lot. Any particular area of the greenhaven/pocket you are looking at? I can give you some more info depending on which exact part you are looking at.

To tell you the truth, I don't know know too much about the area other than what I read on Wikipedia (Land Park, Pocket-Greenhaven) and the city site About » Greenhaven / Pocket Area! Greenhaven and Land Park sound nice. I tried to find apartments on Rent.com for Greenhaven and Land Park and I couldn't find any listing. I then tried a search under Pocket-Greenhaven, Yolo County and Sacramento & Vicinity to try and pull up available apartments in Greenhaven and Land Park. I couldn't find anything. Can you tell me where or how to search for apartments or what the Land Park/Greenhaven/Pocket areas would be listed under? Thanks for your help!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiesays View Post
To tell you the truth, I don't know know too much about the area other than what I read on Wikipedia (Land Park, Pocket-Greenhaven) and the city site About » Greenhaven / Pocket Area! Greenhaven and Land Park sound nice. I tried to find apartments on Rent.com for Greenhaven and Land Park and I couldn't find any listing. I then tried a search under Pocket-Greenhaven, Yolo County and Sacramento & Vicinity to try and pull up available apartments in Greenhaven and Land Park. I couldn't find anything. Can you tell me where or how to search for apartments or what the Land Park/Greenhaven/Pocket areas would be listed under? Thanks for your help!
@ Shope:
Well, I should have waited to post!! I did a google search and found out that the areas are considered Sacramento. The zip for Greenhaven is 95831 and Land Park is 95814, which you probably already know. So I answered my own question!! I now have zip codes to refer to in order to locate apartments. Sorry, my head is spinning! I am trying to pack up my life in Ohio and re-locate to California!

I guess if there is anything other information you can provide about Land Park and Pocket-Greenhaven area that would be great. I don't need too much just the basics. You did state there are coffee shops and grocery stores. And I know if I want to go to a restaurant (assuming places like Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse) I would have to travel. Do the areas have at least some restaurants like Subway and Bob Evans? I am wondering if there is a gym or workout place nearby. No big deal if there isn't. I can always travel to Elk Grove. Thanks!

Last edited by susiesays; 07-27-2010 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: to fix information

Old 07-27-2010, 01:03 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,427 times
Quote:
@ Shope:
Well, I should have waited to post!! I did a google search and found out that the areas are considered Sacramento. The zip for Greenhaven is 95831 and Land Park is 95814, which you probably already know. So I answered my own question!! I now have zip codes to refer to in order to locate apartments. Sorry, my head is spinning! I am trying to pack up my life in Ohio and re-locate to California!

I guess if there is anything other information you can provide about Land Park and Pocket-Greenhaven area that would be great. I don't need too much just the basics. You did state there are coffee shops and grocery stores. And I know if I want to go to a restaurant (assuming places like Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse) I would have to travel. Do the areas have at least some restaurants like Subway and Bob Evans? I am wondering if there is a gym or workout place nearby. No big deal if there isn't. I can always travel to Elk Grove. Thanks!
There is a 24 hour Fitness at Greenhaven / Pocket. This is a little strip mall with a couple restaraunts in it (Pho Bac Hoa Viet / Pizza Guys / a Mexican rest. / Yogurt / Coffee and a couple more I can't remember).

If I was looking at apartments in that region I would live in the Hidden Lake Apartments. They are at Greenhaven / Rush River. The 24 hr fitness is right across the street. It's pretty conveniently located for commuting. It's right off the I-5 at Meadowview/pocket. I lived at this complex for a couple years and never had a problem and never heard of a problem but this was about 5 years ago.

With Hidden Lake you can just drive down Rush River to the Bel Air or at Greenhaven / Florin there is a Nugget (grocery stores).

Greenhaven/pocket has subway / quizno's / hawaiian bbq / chinese rest. and a few others. I always went to and still go downtown for "real" restaraunts. The chain restaraunts are in the Howe / Arden area or on Laguna Blvd in Elk Grove.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:23 PM

@Think About It! .....thanks for the valuable input! I looked at the floor plans for the Hidden Lake Apartments and they look very nice, spacious and reasonable. The best part is the area is close to my workplace downtown. I am also happy to read the a 24 hour fitness is located in the area. I planned on joining 24 hour fitness because there are so many around Sacramento.

What are your thoughts on the Esplanada Townhomes and Apartments on 6058 Riverside Blvd? I am also interested in townhomes as well!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,184 times
Quote:
@ Shope:

Yep, 95831! You will be fine if you need the basics. Not too many chains in the area. Grocery you have :Bel Air & Nugget (awesome). Restaurants you got Vientos (an ok mexican restaurant), Sharis (denny's type place), Jimboys (taco shop), burger places, a couple pizza places, there is a subway, a small sushi place (forget the name). But for your major chain restaurants go to Elk Grove and for non-chain/ fusion/ cool places go downtown. There is also another good gym (River City Racquet club I think it's called?). And 'The Trap' is a sweet dive bar. Also you are right by the river w/a boat launch.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
I prefer land park, followed by green haven, then the pocket, but thats just me

Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 AM

457 posts, read 1,182,427 times
Quote:
@Think About It! .....thanks for the valuable input! I looked at the floor plans for the Hidden Lake Apartments and they look very nice, spacious and reasonable. The best part is the area is close to my workplace downtown. I am also happy to read the a 24 hour fitness is located in the area. I planned on joining 24 hour fitness because there are so many around Sacramento.

What are your thoughts on the Esplanada Townhomes and Apartments on 6058 Riverside Blvd? I am also interested in townhomes as well!
About those townhomes I remember looking at those before I moved into a house. They were kind of expensive back then but I'm not sure what they are now. They seemed ok but I think they felt a little more "shadyish" than the hidden lake apartments. I can't remember any particular reasons why I felt that way but I guess it just had that vibe. I ended up not living there so I don't really have much information about that area. I would look at the sacramento bee crime mapper or something similar to see what you think of the area.

If you're thinking about joining 24 hr fitness I would recommend doing the buy 2 years in advance and get one year free deal if they have it. They give you a great rate for the rest of your life too. Of course that all depends on how much you really like going to the gym and for how long you plan to go for.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks Shope, NorCal Dude and Think About It! for the wealth of information on the Greenhaven, Land Park and Pocket areas! I greatly appreciate the time you took to give me additional information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento