Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:14 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times

Advertisements

the past two summers have been unseasonably cold, hopefully we get another good rain this winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRider View Post
It all depends on your previous experiences and your preferences. For those of you who love the heat, it's great here, and I'm glad you are happy where you live. As for me, I spent the last seven years on an island in Puget Sound, and found the summers there to be almost perfect - every day was between 70-80 degrees, and being so far north, there was more sunlight each day than there is here. The rest of the year, however - let's just say that I was not a big fan. Thus the return to CA. But I was born and raised in the Bay Area and spent most of my life in Santa Cruz; and to me, that is the perfect climate. I have been in the Sacramento area for two months now, and while I appreciate that it has been cooler than normal, I still find the temperatures and the stagnant air to be very unpleasant. I would rather spend the majority of my life in the great outdoors, but it is too hot here to exercise, at least for me. I am used to walking, hiking and riding my bike daily in the summer, but it is not possible here, especially since I have to get up very early for work and don't have time in the morning. When I do have time is in the mid-to-late afternoon, but that is when it is so hot here. So I will probably move back to the coast or back north at some point in the next couple of years. Until then, I'll just grin and bear it.
And your reasons are why I left the PNW. I couldn't exercise or hike because the air was so moist and misty and dark and cloudy and COLD all year.

I had a rough time with waiting ALL>YEAR>LONG for 80 degrees and when it came it was only for a few short weeks.

I am out and about in Sac all day - and the hottest part is when my kids take a nap or we relax etc, then we go outside to have dinner.

But as you said - it's good to know where you love.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:46 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
the past two summers have been unseasonably cold, hopefully we get another good rain this winter
I am hoping that it gets just a hair colder for Autumn then it was last year. Although I truly enjoyed trick or treating with my kids in a short sleeved shirt, I wish it was colder in early Nov when it was still in the 70s - didn't feel autumny

But I'll still take that over frigid air in PNW - I know a time or two where it SNOWED while we trick or treat.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM

6 posts, read 25,603 times
I live in boulder city, NV and its been over 100 since end of May. If you dont like it MOVE!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:05 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Anyone who wants to complain about the Sacramento heat, come to Phoenix where I am from and spent 30 years of my life in. Yeah, Vegas is hot too but still not as bad as Phoenix. Sacramento would be a walk in the park for me.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Just because this summer has been relatively mild with only a couple of days over 100 so far, it does not mean that Sacramento summers are pleasant, healthy and inviting. If you think Sac summers are comfortable then you must be a masochist or in a serious state of denial.
Even with 100 temps it is much better than Atlanta summers because it is dry.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:29 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Seriously next time I hear people ***** and complain about how Sacramento is 110 degrees everyday in the summer I'm going to kick them in the nuts for just being so stupid.

The "hot" summers of Sacramento is probably the most exaggerated things people ***** about.
LOL okay dude, aren't you doing the same thing you are complaining other people do, by picking an anomole and using it as a reference to the norm? Kinda like someone using the outrageous winter storms Seattle experienced a couple of years ago as proof that it always rains in that city. The truth is, this is an unseasoably cool summer for Sacramento due to a variety of factors (primarily coastal fog), and most metiorologists have predicted that Sacramento will have an unseasonably warm fall when this reverses. When that happens, then you'll have people like me complaining that there is no fall season here.

I can tell you that with the exception of this summer, when summer comes here I hear everyone from 20 year Sacramento residents to first time visitors complaining about the heat. I guess you think they're faking it?? I have a hard time understanding why some people here just refuse to accept certain commonly held views of this area.

Last edited by Casportsfan; 08-06-2010 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
And your reasons are why I left the PNW. I couldn't exercise or hike because the air was so moist and misty and dark and cloudy and COLD all year.

I had a rough time with waiting ALL>YEAR>LONG for 80 degrees and when it came it was only for a few short weeks.

I am out and about in Sac all day - and the hottest part is when my kids take a nap or we relax etc, then we go outside to have dinner.

But as you said - it's good to know where you love.
I've lived in both WA and now Sac, and both you and the poster you replied to are putting too much emphasis on the weather. To suggest you "can't" exercise in either area is a bit rediculous. Sacramento is not the Mojave desert, so you are not going to die of heat stroke if you are properly hydrated. Likewise for Seattle; the weather there poses no unusual danger to you health in terms of getting out and exercising, i.e., placing you in the position where you "can't" exercise. The bottom line here is that you didn't want to.

I used to run hills in 15 degree weather in Spokane while it was snowing, and you couldn't do it in moist misty air? . Maybe if you had given it a chance you would have actually enjoyed it. My friends and I used to play basketball outdoors on icy courts in the winter up there. I've also run in 100 degree heat here in Sac, so I've found that It's just a matter of pushing through a little discomfort and allowing your body to adjust. Once you get used to the conditions you by and large forget about them.

I bet there are other people that left Denver saying "I can't exercise here because I can't breathe", when the truth is, if they had just gone out and done it instead of finding reasons why they couldn't, their lungs would have addapted to the thinner mountain air.

Last edited by Casportsfan; 08-06-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Even with 100 temps it is much better than Atlanta summers because it is dry.
As much as I don't think the temps in Sac are all that bad and as much as I hate the hot summer temps in the south, 100 is 100 and I have lived of visited most parts of the country.

People say the same about Phoenix. When it is 100 degrees or more it is miserable.

Nita

Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Nita, 100 and bone-dry is much easier to handle than 100 and humid for one main reason: The dryer the air, the easier it is for the body to cool itself via evaporation of sweat.

After 6 summers here in the IE, I don't even use the a/c in the car anymore when the mercury is sitting at 100. But transport me to the coast on a hot day, and I'm miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento