Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 03:17 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times

Advertisements

My anniversary is coming up. I'm thinking we could do a one of those days like "Be a tourist in your own town/city!"

We'd stay Midtown, I'm thinking we'd go to Sutter's Fort (never been) and maybe the new under ground tour in Old Sac? (if it's worth it, anyone been?)

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 03:49 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,248,183 times
Crocker Art Museum, Old Sac, The Railroad Museum. The tour of underground Sac, with below-ground sidewalks is cool Im told. The California Auto Museum. And the McClellan Air Museum if you like old aircraft..a movie at the Crest Theater??
Riverboat ride out of Old Sac?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
My advice: Stay at the Delta King Hotel or the Citizen Hotel. The Citizen has discounts for locals on weekend nights (most of their business is mid-week business travel) and the Delta King is very romantic and charming. There aren't really any hotels in Midtown, although there are a couple of bed and breakfast places.

The new Crocker Art Museum will be open by then--admission is free on Sunday morning, a nice stop on your walk back from the Southside Park farmer's market.

Details on the Historic Old Sacramento Foundation and the Sacramento History Museum, including reservations for Underground Sidewalks tours and other above-ground tours, here:

City of Sacramento | CC&L | Sacramento History Museum | Center for Sacramento History

Note that the tour is not all underground--it combines some parts on the surface, ducking down into alleys, basements, and underground sidewalk areas. Tours end for the year on October 31 and start again in April of next year.

California Auto Museum is great, especially if your hubby is a gearhead.

You've never been to Sutter's Fort? Oh yes, you must fix that. The Governor's Mansion and Stanford Mansion are also worth a visit.

Once you get closer to the date, post again and I can point you towards some of the specific events happening in town on those dates, as well as more detailed restaurant suggestions (within a few months, some new restaurants will have opened while others will almost certainly have closed.)

Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Once you get closer to the date, post again and I can point you towards some of the specific events happening in town on those dates, as well as more detailed restaurant suggestions (within a few months, some new restaurants will have opened while others will almost certainly have closed.)
Does that offer extend to me too? Next year at about this time we're taking a car trip up north and across the top of the country then coming down the west coast from Seattle to CA, ending up in Sacramento to visit family. It was my wife's home most of her life and my adult home for almost 20 years. She's flying back for a visit in two weeks (her daughters and grandchildren) but I'm house and cat sitting here this time.

Will I feel like a tourist by then.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 PM

curmudgeon: Gladly...as you may have noticed, I seldom turn down an opportunity to share my opinions about what Midtown has to offer.

One attraction that is coming up starting in the spring of 2011: two private companies are offering history-themed Sacramento bike tours, both offer bikes for rent--the main difference is that one also offers a gourmet picnic lunch as part of the tour.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
curmudgeon: Gladly...as you may have noticed, I seldom turn down an opportunity to share my opinions about what Midtown has to offer.

One attraction that is coming up starting in the spring of 2011: two private companies are offering history-themed Sacramento bike tours, both offer bikes for rent--the main difference is that one also offers a gourmet picnic lunch as part of the tour.
Thanks you. And I'm very much in favor of gourmet picnics.

One of our pleasurable "adventures" during the many years we lived downtown was walking most of the length of J Street and returning via K or L Street every couple of months to see what businesses had disappeared and what new ones had replaced them.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:33 AM

84 posts, read 220,553 times
I love reading these! Great ideas. I, too, like being a tourist in my own town.

Other ideas:

-Get a nice room at the Residence Inn Capitol (in midtown) on a high up floor overlooking the capitol building. We did that one for New Years and it was lots of fun. They have a pool and hot tub and good breakfast and a restaurant/bar in the lobby area, etc., and the view was awesome. Hint: On Thursday nights they have wine and cheese tasting.

-The cemetery on Broadway has a lot of historic stuff, if you are in to cemeteries... I think since it is near Halloween they might be doing tours.

-Zoo. eh, the zoo...

-The underground tour sounds interesting

-We did a sunset riverboat dinner once and that was nice. The food was just okay, but the experience was a fun one.

-Get an old timey photo taken in Old Sac! Those are always fun.

-Tour of the capitol building. Better yet, try to schedule it so that you can sit in on a session. I think that would be fun, but I'm a nerd.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 AM

The Old City Cemetery Halloween tours are already sold out. But they do tours throughout most of the year that are free:

Old City Cemetery Committee, Inc., Sacramento, California

There is a new river tour operator, Hornblower Tours, that does riverboat runs. The Delta King doesn't actually move but is a beautiful boat and the restaurant is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento