Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,611 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy our first home in the Sacramento area. We have looked in the Rancho Cordova area (new master planned community called Anatolia) and also Roseville & Rocklin. Can anyone give me any information about how those areas compare with one another? We are making a decision fairly soon....we found a house we really love in Rancho Cordova, but are having trouble finding a comparable house in the Roseville/Rocklin area.......but from what we can tell we kinda like that area better! What a hard decision. Seems the prices in R/R are higher for what you get.

Anyone weighing pros and cons from experience for me would be incredible.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2006, 01:47 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,428,457 times
Well...Rancho Cordova is a rehabbing area. It used to have Mather AFB pretty close and it used to be nicknamed Rancho Cambodia. I have a friend that was looking at Anatolia as well because aparently they are in the Elk Grove School District (which is one of the best in the area).

I don't know very much other than from the pictures I have seen, (of Anatolia) it seems very nice, but again, I wouldn't be thrilled with the surrounding area. I would canvas the neighborhood on the weekend and see if someone will talk to you that has been there awhile. Hopefully someone that lives there will post for you.

Roseville and Rocklin have always been higher, that is why there is such a traffic impaction on I-80. Just very close to the conveniences. I grew up in Roseville and have seen it grow over the last *cough* 37 yrs *cough* and during the 80s they had mostly a building moratorium. Then people started to discovery Granite Bay which was once just an extention of Roseville.

Rocklin stared buidling up pretty heavily in the 90s with Stanford Ranch. We moved up there when there was only the AM/PM and Raleys on the hill. Boy, now it has changed.

Rancho Cordova seems pretty quiet these days, but I personally wouldn't want to venture out too much after dark. Again, if you don't get any more feedback here I would try to talk to someone in the neighborhood you are looking at and ask them their honest opinion.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 11,607 times
Smile Rancho Cordova is a hidden gem

I personally liked Rancho Cordova. I lived there for 9 years. Before it became a city, I also felt like the county was dumping anyone who did not fit into any of the other upscale communities just so they can meet some federal minority quota. But quite honestly, in the neighborhoods especially in the older neighborhoods of RC, you end up meeting families that have been there for decades, many of them who retired from Mather AFB.

I still have family living in RC and much has changed for the better since it incorporated and now has its own police force. Many of the foreign imigrants have established raised close knit families and keep nice homes. I went there yesterday for Thanksgiving and many homes has kids playing outside having a good time.

I would avoid the west side of RC but generally the rest of the town is very comfortable.

I also lived and worked in Roseville for a few years and found it is very expensive to live there. The good part is that the crime rate is lower but I could not get to know my neighbors like I did in Rancho.

Personally, I believe Rancho has a huge upside to it. The town is improving all the time as it is trying to hard to attract new business and become the city it deserves to be. Homes there should appreciate faster than in other places in the next few years, so if you are thinking about resale down the road, Rancho Cordova could be the best pick.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:51 PM

184 posts, read 797,051 times
Red face Rancho Cordova

My view of R.C., I have lived here for 7 years and have seen it start growing in many ways, like we have a Wal-mart new grocery stores new lights and more new roads. The people seen to be pretty nice and very much into religion. There are a lot of Church's here maybe more than stores. And we have very good emergency groups also, they have saved my husband from two heart attacks.

Anatolia is a new place on the other side of old R.C. They had about 17 builders with new homes, they probally start about $400,000 and go up to one million.

If you go down Douglas blvd there is a new community called Sunridge Park, they are just getting started. These homes start at about $320,000 (Beazer homes) and go up from there. I was there three times last week. They will have Mello-Roos but no HOA.

They will also have a better location.

R.C. is getting better every day!

Regards,
Lisa

Old 11-29-2006, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 11,604 times
Default Two years in Roseville and Loving it.

We moved to Roseville two years ago from the Bay Area and are enjoying it more all the time. They have a new Dog Park and plans for a huge park comprable to Golden Gate. The electricity from Roseville electric is about 20% lower than the Bay Area, Crime is very low, and the gated community we live in next to Woodcreek Oaks Golf couse is clean safe and only $35 a month for association due. Roseville has all the restaurants and shopping anyone could want, and is close to freeways to get you to Sacramento or the Sierras in 35-40 minutes. Also, being a mortgage broker I am getting market data daily that indicates Rosevilles real estate, although prices have dropped, is a bit more stable than many other citys, and interest rates have come down under 6% again, making it more affordable than it has been in years.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:04 AM

553 posts, read 2,332,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocating2sac View Post
My husband and I are looking to buy our first home in the Sacramento area. We have looked in the Rancho Cordova area (new master planned community called Anatolia) and also Roseville & Rocklin. Can anyone give me any information about how those areas compare with one another? We are making a decision fairly soon....we found a house we really love in Rancho Cordova, but are having trouble finding a comparable house in the Roseville/Rocklin area.......but from what we can tell we kinda like that area better! What a hard decision. Seems the prices in R/R are higher for what you get.

Anyone weighing pros and cons from experience for me would be incredible.

TIA!

Several of my clients who I helped finance their purchaes at Anatolia are very discouraged. Their home values have dropped significantly (70,000 +)
I would STRONGLY suggest you rent for a while and get used to the area before you buy. I know moving twice is a pain but buying a home in an area you are unhappy with and paying all of the real estate commissions to get out of the area is much worse. Rent, check out the area and see for yourself before you buy. FYI- I am a licensed agent.
Roseville Rocklin in MY opinion is 10 times better. The neighborhoods are more established. Anatolia is too new and there are many depressed areas in Rancho Cordova-there are some nice one's of course but I would take the worst house in Rocklin before I would take the best house in Rancho.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 11,600 times
Default We love Anatolia

We moved to Anatolia early last summer and we absolutely love it. We had lived in Rancho Cordova for two years prior and really wanted to stay when we decided to buy. I agree that Rancho has it's bad area (Mills Station) but there is also a great base of long-time residents. As for Anatolia, we love the club house, the quiet and the neighbors. Contrary to what some might think - since buying, our house has not lost any value - although I'm sure some that were bought during the real-estate bubble frenzy have. Now is probably a great time to buy. We are looking forward to the Raley's, Safeway and Walgreens that have been approved to be built and believe property values will rise with them. In the meantime we are watching a new elementary school and park go in just down the street. It's exciting to be in on the ground floor. Couldn't recommend the area higher.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:28 AM

Thumbs down Values HAVE dropped

Quote:
Originally Posted by cissy95628 View Post
We moved to Anatolia early last summer and we absolutely love it. We had lived in Rancho Cordova for two years prior and really wanted to stay when we decided to buy. I agree that Rancho has it's bad area (Mills Station) but there is also a great base of long-time residents. As for Anatolia, we love the club house, the quiet and the neighbors. Contrary to what some might think - since buying, our house has not lost any value - although I'm sure some that were bought during the real-estate bubble frenzy have. Now is probably a great time to buy. We are looking forward to the Raley's, Safeway and Walgreens that have been approved to be built and believe property values will rise with them. In the meantime we are watching a new elementary school and park go in just down the street. It's exciting to be in on the ground floor. Couldn't recommend the area higher.
Cissy- just about everybody thinks they live in the best city with the best neighbors and schools etc. This is because they base it on their own personal experience. Anatolia is a fine neighborhood but the statistics do not lie. Schools are better in Roseville, Rocklin and Folsom areas. A large reason for this is economics. Usually (not always) more expensive areas have more ammenities and more money from the local community going into their schools. If you doubt this compare property values in Granite Bay and Folsom to that of Rancho Cordova. Home appreciation is better and most neighborhoods in those areas are established. Also keep in mind that should the dam or levee system fail you folks better have your water wings on because you will be going for a swim. The folks in Roseville, Rocklin etc.. will be looking down at the devestation. Matter of fact, there was a program on how risky it is to live below the dam and near levees in Sacramento on The learning channel. They showed what would happen to Sacramento and it would be much more catastrophic than New Orleans. They showed how the levees are CONSTANTLY being shored up. The Army corps of engineers built the levee system nearly 100 years ago and it is outdated. Sure, they're piling up rocks on the levee but if we get another big el nino year, look out! The program was 1 hour long and very detailed. Here is more info: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/cctimes/community/15834861.htm (broken link)

As far as home values are concerned, I have solid evidence that the values in Anatolia have tanked. I know because I loan people money to refinance and purchase their homes. I have several appraisals in Anatolia spanning from 1 1/2 years to current. 3 appraisers have provided me with comparable properties that have sold and the values have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY. Anatolia is not the only area, many parts of Yolo county and West Sacramento especially have seen significant declines. I have appraisals and current comps on those too.
I think it is great that you are happy there and that you express your positive feelings but to say that your value has not dropped without evidence from a licensed professional is misleading somebody who is prepared to make an important and expensive decision.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 108,715 times
I have some friends who live in Anatolia. It's pretty far removed from the hub of the city.

Rancho Cordova (my home for many years) has a very diverse culture. There are many people still there from when Mather Field Air Force Base was in it's heyday and also because of that there are alot of housing from the 1960s. There is also many immigrants from Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries, as well as Vietnam and Korea. Most of the city is not like a new housing development like Anatolia. While there are many new developments popping up on the outskirts.

What we first noticed when we moved there was that it seems to be a very transitional place. People come and go alot. This isn't a town where everyone knows everyone and they all have lived there for 20 years.

I would certainly not put it in the same category as Roseville.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarefootone View Post
I have some friends who live in Anatolia. It's pretty far removed from the hub of the city.

Rancho Cordova (my home for many years) has a very diverse culture. There are many people still there from when Mather Field Air Force Base was in it's heyday and also because of that there are alot of housing from the 1960s. There is also many immigrants from Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries, as well as Vietnam and Korea. Most of the city is not like a new housing development like Anatolia. While there are many new developments popping up on the outskirts.

What we first noticed when we moved there was that it seems to be a very transitional place. People come and go alot. This isn't a town where everyone knows everyone and they all have lived there for 20 years.

I would certainly not put it in the same category as Roseville.
I couldn't agree more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento