Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 22,686 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am considering to take a job in Fairfield and am considering the option of taking the train from Davis. Does anyone know about the train's punctuality? How difficult is it to park near the Davis station? Is this a viable option?

Responses and other relevant insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:11 AM

48 posts, read 148,280 times
Just drive.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:12 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
No one takes the train. We are not SF and using BART. Amtrak is crazy expensive - like over $25 a day (each way I think, but don't quote me)

Just Drive

Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
No one takes the train.
Huh..? Capital Corridor has one of the highest ridership levels of the country. I believe round trip from Davis to Fairfield is 18 dollars, which is about what you would spend on gas. There is no reason you couldn't take the train from Davis, but it would highly depend on where your employment was in relation to train station and connecting buses.

It's very punctuational and there 22 trains a day, each way.

btw. one of my friends commutes from Sac to Fairfield everyday on the train, she says she rarely drives it anymore. Much preferably to driving as you get to work and relax on the train, get breakfast etc.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Monthly passes are considerably cheaper--a lot of people use it to commute from Auburn and Roseville to downtown Sacramento. It's also a lot nicer than driving: you can order lunch, read, work on your laptop or smartphone (or, text or make cellphone calls without risking an accident.) From Davis to Fairfield is pretty short, but if it works for the OP (they can easily get where they are going from the Fairfield/Suisun train station) it's a nice way to make the trip without having to battle traffic.

"No one takes the train"? As Mr. Ozo mentions, Capitol Corridor is very successful, and Sacramento's light rail system, for all its faults, has one of the highest daily riderships in the country.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Decided to take the train from Oakland to Old Sacramento instead of driving last week... very relaxing... cost $25 each way.

I'm thinking there must be breaks for commuters and someone told me some employers share to the cost of public transportation.

Driving does make more sense if carpooling.... takes almost the same fuel with a single occupant as it does for several.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
Sorry - I guess I didn't realize.

But he said "Amtrak" so I don't think Light Rail at all. I was thinking Amtrak. Is it like BART?

I took regional transit for years in Seattle, and hated every minute, and living here in Sa 10 years before that - I never knew people to take RT

Old 10-29-2010, 07:15 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Amtrak's Capitol Corridor train is a diesel heavy-rail train that runs between Colfax and San Jose, although some runs only go from Sacramento to Oakland. It's a nice way to get to the Bay Area, or from the foothills to Sacramento, without the hassle of driving, and parking, and tolls, and parking tickets, etcetera. It's not like BART, which is both subway and grade-separated interurban. Unlike BART, the trains have restrooms and a dining car (nothing fancy--burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, pizza, soda, coffee, beer and wine.) and the seats either have tray tables (like an airline but bigger) or have big tables with four seats like a restaurant booth. I think they recently added Wi-Fi to some or all of the trains. It is very popular, the trains are very busy, and they have a 95%+ on-time record.

The monthly pass for Capitol Corridor costs $439--cheaper by far than driving from Sacramento to SF and back, kind of pricey for Davis-Fairfield only (about $22/day). So driving might be the more economical option.

We don't have as many transit riders per capita as San Francisco, but to discount any public transit in the Sacramento region simply because we're not SF ignores the fact that plenty of people do take light rail and buses here--myself included. If what you mean is "I don't take the train," or "I don't know anyone who takes the train," then say that, rather than "no one takes the train."

http://www.capitolcorridor.org/inclu..._schedules.pdf

Old 10-29-2010, 07:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Last week... it was fun taking the train looking out the window passing the cars going down the interstate.

9 Sac to Oakland Round trips would cost $450... vs. $439 with the pass.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:03 AM

6 posts, read 22,686 times
Thanks to all for providing feedback! Although its expensive, I'll consider the train as a viable commuting option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento