Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 59,068 times

Advertisements

I used to work at Downtown Plaza back in 95-96 and it always seemed like a relatively safe area to shop and spend the afternoon despite it's proximity to K St and the Greyhound station. I remember after work going for drinks at America Live, watching the laser light shows from the center of the mall, and soaking up the atmosphere during Thursday Night Market. I no longer visit there because of the significant increase of derelicts and unruly thugs from the ghetto, a complete absence of any security or police presence, and the overall decay of the surrounding area including Downtown Plaza. It' hard to believe Westfield owns this property and has let it decompose into this urban cesspool. Plans for redevolopment have been stagnate for years and it's only getting worse.
Save our downtown - someone - please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 11:11 PM

424 posts, read 2,697,053 times
I think you are correct. The Plaza seems safe during the day, but it gets dangerous the closer it gets to evening. The Downtown Plaza, and Arden Fair, starting getting rough after they closed the Florin Mall. All the thugs headed to the closest malls to hang out. There is a lack of security all over downtown. I've had problems with gangs and just regular crazy people waiting for the bus at 5:00. A co-worker had a gold necklace ripped off her neck at 11:00 on a weekday morning about two blocks from the Capitol.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 59,068 times
[quote=KidBlue;1024567]I think you are correct. The Plaza seems safe during the day, but it gets dangerous the closer it gets to evening. The Downtown Plaza, and Arden Fair, starting getting rough after they closed the Florin Mall. All the thugs headed to the closest malls to hang out.

I was thinking the exact same thing! It seemed like after the Florin Mall closure it really got much worse - no where else to go and nothing for these losers to do but to head for the next nearest mall. Like I said earlier, what really infuriates me is the complete lack of security. When I used to work there over a decade ago there were several security guards and the occasional SACPD officer roaming around and patrolling - but nothing now. It disgusts me because I live in midtown but if I want a decent and safe shopping experience I am forced to drive 20 - 25 miles out to Sunrise or Roseville Galleria. You're right about Arden Fair - equally as ghetto and the traffic in and out of there is horrendous. I mean, how much retail and restaurants can they pack into such a small area? What they should do is gut Arden Fair/ Market Square altogether and rebuild a major shopping district over at Cal Expo. There is plenty of room and I'm sure the Expo grounds can be reconfigured or moved out of there to accomodate a new mall. That area is pretty much worthless with the exception of the State Fair (and many can argue the value of that as well).

Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,116 times
I've lived in the Sacramento area for only 5 years and have seen a city in a state of flux. Maybe in 30 years they would have figured it all out but at this time, I don't see much in what the city has to offer. There is some inherent traits the city has no control over such as the disgustingly hot summers, pollen encrusted springtimes, and it's major flood threat in the winter. Add in the challenges of really bad air quality, a high rate of crime, heavy traffic congestion due to it's aging and inferior freeway system, and a lack of adeqate and safe shopping areas and it appears almost hopeless. Also, the increasing cost of living here due to all the Bay Area transplants has caused a recipe for disaster. I have noticed that this is typical of most Central Valley towns like Stockton, Fresno, and Bakersfield. Lot's of poor, desperate people trying to survive. On my lunch hour I walk the streets around downtown and become very depressed over what I see. Homeless people, juvenile delinquents, folks that should be in hospitals wandering around, and the ruins of K st that stink of urine. It's not much better outside of town either. Cities like Elk Grove and the Natomas area look somewhat safe on the outside but the graffitti. rampant crime, thugs, and gang members walking around indicate otherwise. It's horrible out here. I'm glad I will be relocating back east next month.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Cities like Elk Grove and the Natomas area look somewhat safe on the outside but the graffitti. rampant crime, thugs and gangmembers walking around indicates otherwise. It's horrible out here. I'm glad I will be relocating back east next month.
Indeed, because "back East" there is no graffitti, crime, or gangs. The grass is always greener, eh?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Indeed, because "back East" there is no graffitti, crime, or gangs. The grass is always greener, eh?

No - no graffitti where I'm from in Burlington, Vermont. No gangs, and very little crime.
NYC or Boston on the other hand.....

Last edited by cityx; 07-11-2007 at 11:54 AM..

Old 07-11-2007, 01:18 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,702 times
Its sad to see the Downtown deteriorate the way it has. In the early 90s the city was buzzing about the new facade, bringing in new dollars, etc etc. I hate visiting the plaza now. Its sad, they spent millions on the convention center and surrounding facilities just to let everything else go down hill.

I agree about Florin mall closing and now the people causing problems are bringing it elsewhere.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
I agree... I was down there in May for the first time in a few years for the Jazz Jubilee and I was apalled by the K street mall when we went to eat at River City Brewing Co, it looked as if they were getting ready to condemn that whole Rotunda that it looks out on! I also got that rough vibe from Arden too, which is too bad, because I always prefered to shop there, even though it was a needless drive for me after they opened the Galleria. I always thought it was a much better mall. Now, it looks like it's Galleria or bust as far as the major malls go.

I remember when the IMAX went in and it was a big deal, along with the big Sheraton Grand opening. Now? It's like they're saying "what's the point?"

Old 10-01-2007, 06:39 PM

35 posts, read 144,176 times
Default Downtown Plaza in Sac

I'm kind of stunned that Downtown Plaza and Arden Fair have gotten so bad. When I lived in the area (86-91), both malls were dying on the vine, and then they were totally revitalized and became really, really nice places. I realize it's been 16 years, but geez, what happened? Florin was a bit seedy back then, but certainly not dangerous. When did it close? I haven't been back to Sac since the late 90s, but at the time it looked like the downtown was cleaning up its act and even the area around the UC Medical Center looked like it was improving. I'm not doubting what anyone is saying here, I'm just surprised at how much things have changed!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:54 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
This might sound bad but, I'm hoping if they ever open that Elk Grove Mall - all the South Sac thugs go down there! Then maybe I'll feel safer if I ever get to move back to Sac

PS - America Live!! WOW! That's a blast from my past!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento