Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 06:20 AM

78 posts, read 249,806 times

Advertisements

My husband will be stationed at Beale AFB next summer. We have 3 children who will span elementary to high school in our time there. We are obviously mostly concerned with good/safe schools. It would be nice to have a little land around us after our time in crowded DC but are also looking at Roseville/Rocklin as possibilities. What is the commute time from Roseville? Rocklin? Penn Valley? Are there other areas that would be good to look into? Stay away from? Looks like Lincoln would be out simply due to their schools. Our Housing allowance is over $2000, probably looking to buy rather than rent this time.
We have family all over the area so I am thrilled to be moving home. I know this is a bit out there for many on this board but appreciate the help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
I can understand your desire for more land, having spent 13 years in DC myself awhile ago. The place is a bit crowded, to say the least.

If working at Beale then the area you are evaluating is the logical choice, and though a bit crowded it isn't anything like metro DC. If you want to consider a bit of a more rural alternative, you could also look around the Auburn area, and see if you can find something that is a better fit in terms of lifestyle. However, you'd have a commute of about an hour, so it may not be worth the extra space.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 AM

85 posts, read 432,785 times
If schools are most important to you then I would consider south Lincoln or Roseville/Rocklin. If you want some property then consider Wheatland, Sheridan. In both cases your proximity to Hwy 65 will dictate your commute time. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 AM

86 posts, read 209,781 times
For a great family environment with terrific schools, and close access to Beale, go with Rocklin. The public schools in Rocklin can't be beat.

Stanford Ranch and Whitney Oaks in Rocklin have access to Rocklin High School (10 Ranking) and there are a few elementary schools in those neighborhoods and I believe that one has a 10 ranking and the other 2 have 9 rankings. Also the middle school is a 10 which is almost unheard of in the greater Sacramento area.

Allan

Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
stay away from the Linda / Olivehurst schools, that is considered a "recessed area" really poor and run down, lots of bad people and also known as the METH CAPITOL of northern CA

those areas have a high unemployent maybe 50% or more? most of them live off government assistance or welfare , or are on some type of disability. mostly trailor trash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento