Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:45 AM

7 posts, read 7,322 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a nurse and will be working at kaiser south Sacramento in October and November. I am seeking advice on areas to live, and I would really appreciate any advice about the area as we have never been before. I will be traveling with my husband and three year old. My company is offering various extended stay America options, so I could just choose which one based on commute, safety, and amenities. Or I can find my own corporate housing or sublet. My husband will not be working at the time and we will have one car. Budget is $1600 or less and we need fully furnished. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 09:58 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Here's the list of Extended Stays near Sacramento. Elk Grove is probably the closest to Kaiser South.
Sacramento Extended Stay Hotels | Extended Stay America

Or you may want to try a short stay rental in another part of town, depending on your preference of activities. Midtown is festival, restaurant/bar central. If the slower life of the suburb & access to the river/lakes is your thing, then I'd suggest Folsom or even Roseville/Rocklin which also have extended stays.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 AM

356 posts, read 703,758 times
First, Kaiser South Sacramento (the one near Mack Road) is in a pretty rough area, so you won't want to live TOO close to work.

The area right around the Elk Grove Extended Stay America looks fine on Google Maps, although I'm not familiar with it. But you are not far from some not-so-good neighborhoods. It's about a 20-minute drive to Kaiser South.

Will you drive the car to work, find other transportation, or will your husband drive you back and forth? Where are the Extended Stay America hotels your company is proposing? A budget of $1600 for furnished short-term housing will not get you much, if anything. Look on homeaway.com or airbnb.com.

Last edited by la_cavalière; 08-24-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 10:30 AM

The idea so far is that my husband will drive me to work. However if we find something close to transportation, or close to things for my husband and daughter to do during the day then that plan may change. The company is offering only extended stay America. There is one in Elk Grove, Rancho Cordova, Arden way, north gate, west Sacramento.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:59 AM

We are pretty outdoorsy, and have lived in Honolulu and Denver and enjoyed the amenities of the city and the outdoor activities those cities had to offer. We enjoy going to restaurants and parks
For my little one. We may just have to choose one of the extended stay America options, which of those areas would you choose. Thanks for all of your help

Old 08-24-2015, 11:36 AM

If I were you, given your options, I would stay at the Elk Grove Extended Stay America. It's the closest to Kaiser South, and your hotel is near a little park on a small lake and the Laguna Town Hall community center. The hotel is right off I-5, so it's not too far a drive to Fairytale Town, Funderland, and the Sacramento Zoo (all located in William Land Park - very pretty), as well as Old Sacramento and downtown/Midtown.

For outdoor recreation, you could take your little one to Effie Yeaw Nature Center, go apple/pumpkin picking in Apple Hill, or watch the salmon jumping the ladder at the Nimbus Fish Hatchery (usually in November). If you hike, there are wonderful trails in Auburn State Recreation Area, and if you bike, we have a 30+ mile bike trail along the American River from Sacramento to Folsom. There are fantastic farmers markets in Sacramento and Davis. And you should also make time for trips to Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, etc.

Last edited by la_cavalière; 08-24-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
If I were you, given your options, I would stay at the Elk Grove Extended Stay America. It's the closest to Kaiser South, and your hotel is near a little park on a small lake and the Laguna Town Hall community center. The hotel is right off I-5, so it's not too far a drive to Fairytale Town, Funderland, and the Sacramento Zoo (all located in William Land Park - very pretty), as well as Old Sacramento and downtown/Midtown.

For outdoor recreation, you could take your little one to Effie Yeaw Nature Center, go apple/pumpkin picking in Apple Hill, or watch the salmon jumping the ladder at the Nimbus Fish Hatchery (usually in November). If you hike, there are wonderful trails in Auburn State Recreation Area, and if you bike, we have a 30+ mile bike trail along the American River from Sacramento to Folsom. There are fantastic farmers markets in Sacramento and Davis. And you should also make time for trips to Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, etc.
Thank you so helpful!! I'm adding all of these to the list of things to do! My husband will be doing some classes online but we will absolutely be making time for day/weekend trips around the area. So this area in Elk Grove should be pretty safe and a good area for my little one. Thanks again!

Last edited by aloha.yall; 08-24-2015 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 08-24-2015, 12:07 PM

572 posts, read 599,352 times
The Elk Grove option is probably going to be the easiest option for you to get to and from work.

I'd also consider the West Sac option as your commute would be against traffic from there. Although it looks like it's in a commercial/industrial area of West Sac which might make it kind of a soul-less area to live. West Sac itself is pretty cool though and lots of young families and close proximity to lots of stuff.

October/November is a great time to explore N. California. All the trees around Sac are really pretty and the temperature is often very comfortable. Have a great stay.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha.yall View Post
Thank you so helpful!! I'm adding all of these to the list of things to do! My husband will be doing some classes online but we will absolutely be making time for day/weekend trips around the area. So this area in Elk Grove should be pretty safe and a good area for my little one. Thanks again!
You're welcome! Have a great stay in Sacramento and feel free to ask us any more questions.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
If you decide to rent an extended stay hotel, don't go through the hotel or book online, call this number: Extended Plus Program Desk at: 1-888-844-0952 That is the number for Extended Stay that manages 60 day rates at far less than the advertised price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento