Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 PM

192 posts, read 470,738 times

Advertisements

I'm a 44 yr old man currently living in Fort Collins Colorado. After 11 years, the routine and isolation is killing me. I've learned that the " Top 10" lists are a bit swayed and am needing a change. Originally from the N.W., but needing to stay out of the gloom, Northern California comes to mind a lot. I hear a lot about the states financial crisis and understand the concern, but at this time in life, am most interested in the society. Are your neighbors welcoming? Can you find a friend group? Are there a variety of weekend options? For those who enjoy the area, could you give me a little input as to towns in the 60-200k populations that I might want to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:32 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
We moved here from the Midwest about 4 years ago and haven't had any difficulty making friends here. There are a zillion things to see and do in the immediate area and within a couple of hours.

I can't address the issues beyond our own experience, but the folks have been pretty friendly, and you will only be bored by choice.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:53 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,412 times
If you don't mind warm summers there are plenty of cities and towns that fall into that population, or are relatively close to cities of that population.

Winters in Northern California can be dark and grey. I mention this because people think winters are going to be magically warm and balmy at the same latitude as Kansas City. Although, it never gets as cold here.

Most people don't care if you come here or not. Most will be relatively friendly. However, don't be surprised if you feel like many people are indifferent towards you. There have been a lot of people who have come to California over the years expecting something wonderful in the sense of change. Ten years later we have to listen to them complain about how unfair the housing costs are, and how evil the banking industry is because they purchased a house they couldn't afford and it is now being foreclosed upon.

And a job. If you don't have a fair amount of cash on hand, you are going to need a job. Chances are you aren't going to find one out here right now. Some people come out here and get by being frugal, and are successful at it. However, frugal on the West Coast isn't the same as it is in other parts of the country.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:49 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,481,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krh6609 View Post
I'm a 44 yr old man currently living in Fort Collins Colorado. After 11 years, the routine and isolation is killing me. I've learned that the " Top 10" lists are a bit swayed and am needing a change. Originally from the N.W., but needing to stay out of the gloom, Northern California comes to mind a lot. I hear a lot about the states financial crisis and understand the concern, but at this time in life, am most interested in the society. Are your neighbors welcoming? Can you find a friend group? Are there a variety of weekend options? For those who enjoy the area, could you give me a little input as to towns in the 60-200k populations that I might want to visit.
11 years and no friends? Ouch. But perhaps Fort Collins is not to blame.

And I trust you mean that those "Top 10" lists are a bit "skewed". A good question would be "Top Ten for what?" What was it you were looking for when you "bought in" to the idea that you should live in Fort Collins?

A good majority of the Northern California towns in the population range that you stated may not be much better than where you are now. You don't sound as if you want the coast, which is often gray and foggy. But the towns that are not constantly gray and foggy are intensely hot in the summer, and gray and foggy in the winter anyway. I'll throw out a few that I know:

Redding--probably your best opportunity
Chico--a university town
Davis--also a university town
Sacramento suburbs----
Citrus Heights
Rancho Cordova
Elk Grove

Tracy
Modesto

I threw in the Sac suburbs because they TECHNICALLY are in your population range but I can only really speak for Redding because I have some personal experience with the place.

Frankly, you need to do a little homework of your own.
You don't want to try and solve your current dilemma with the same method that brought you into it ; i.e., believing that the source of the "Top 10 List" from where you gathered that Fort Collins was the place for you to be actually cares about you personally and provided for you the "Yellow Brick Road" for your life. Don't make that mistake with this forum. This is a place for people to discuss ideas and places, and thereby have enough information to make sound judgments about where to live, etc., but if you don't bring something more to the table than a plaintive "things didn't turn out as I hoped in my current location and I want to change my scenery......can you tell me what I should do?", it won't help you much.

I'm not mocking you, but we're not God here, just all sorts of different people with different experiences and varying types of knowledge, SOME of which MIGHT help you.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:53 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,481,776 times
Oh, and I forgot about Santa Rosa. Much closer to, but yet not on, the coast.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,319 times
I lived in Ft. Collins for a number of years and loved it! I would take Colorado over Ca anyday! There are great cafes, great skiing and outdoors and the people are nice. Again, as I always point out, I am negative about California and the experiences I have had here. There are great things about the state as well. Cost of living will be an eye opener from Ft. Collins.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 PM

649 posts, read 1,767,946 times
california is different from any state that i've lived in or traveled to. and what makes if different isn't just the climate, but the people. and there is also a big difference between southernn and northern california people. i've lived for several years in each part and they are different but still they are californians. californians are very very accepting and open to "outsiders" becasue the overal attitude is live and let live; moreso then any section of this nation that i've traveled or lived. and that's one of the big draws for people I think. now southern ca is very different then central or northern ca. it deserves all the bad rep that it has and more IMO. i've lived in the rocky mountain states and people are friendly and have great manners and are lots more "real" then southern californians, but on the other hand they aren't as open to accepting "outsiders" into thier "inner" circle for friendship. so on the surface it seems like everyone has great manners and are pleasent but if you are hoping to fit right in....well foreget that. i was raised in sacramento and am looking to return but haven't been back in years so am curious as well to how things have changed. i do remember sacto as being pretty reserve and conservative compared to my experience of living in southern ca. but right now that's ok. crime rate for sacto is very very low compared to all the areas i've been in the PNW and rocky mountain states, and the property rates are in the basement due to the foreclosure market.......so great time to return to ca!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:16 PM

192 posts, read 470,738 times
Thanks for the input all....

Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,542,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
I lived in Ft. Collins for a number of years and loved it! I would take Colorado over Ca anyday! There are great cafes, great skiing and outdoors and the people are nice. Again, as I always point out, I am negative about California and the experiences I have had here. There are great things about the state as well. Cost of living will be an eye opener from Ft. Collins.
Depends on what part of California he ends up in... cost of living isn't crazy all over the state, mostly just in the Bay Area and the majority of Southern CA. Get outside of those two regions and cost of living will be similar to Fort Collins. Having come from the Bay Area here to the Denver area, I can say that Denver is great overall, but I can't say I would take it over CA any day, only some days, and even then, only some areas. If we could move tomorrow, I think we could easily be happy in Granite Bay, a suburb of Sacramento, where the cost of living is similar to the area where we are now out here in Denver.

You just have to visit a number of areas to find what you're looking for and see what compromises you'll have to make.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,592 times
I'm in northern Ca and my son is in San Diego
I visit there but prefer the northern area because of the
country terrain- lots more trees and rural atmosphere-

Living about 20 miles outside of Sacramento is a fair choice because you can access the city for social events - but there are many smaller towns further north and on the coast that offer allot to do also.
There are great oceanside areas like Carmel and Monterey but jobs may be scarce there.
If weather is your consideration - the heat is oppressive in Sacto and a bit cooler outside the city [and away from the Sacto "fog"]
Check out Auburn, it's about 1000' altitude, a great community and about 30 k population and 20 min to Sacto
The best part of living here in CA is not having to shovel snow - and not being locked inside during the winter. At least we are "mobile" 12 mo out of the year -- That adds allot more time for roaming around when and if you're bored
At your age- you should be able to find a social life fairly easily-
I would wait until spring - after the rainy season - it's quite beautiful then
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento