U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:05 AM

8 posts, read 27,697 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me about Cameron Park and the commute to Scramento I will be moving from the East Coast and the nearest house to me where I now live is about 1 mile. I know I will not find any place like that to rent. I am looking for a safe neighborhood, and no flooding. I would like to rent either house or condo/apartment with 3 bedrooms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 04:45 PM

424 posts, read 2,577,344 times
You might be able to find a home to rent with some acreage in Shingle Springs which is the next town east of Cameron Park. Cameron Park has become less rural over the years, but almost all of Cameron Park is nice and the schools are excellent. To the south of Hwy. 50 are 5 acre ranchettes and to the north are housing tracks. Even though the homes don't have miles between them, the feeling is rural and there's lots of oak trees. There are rentals and homes in various price ranges, but home prices start around $400,000, unless the home is a fixer. There are quite a few apartments to choose from and most are nice. You can check on REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale for rentals in the area.

There are several options for commuting from CP to Sac. El Dorado operates the El Dorado Transit bus line. There are two park and ride locations in CP: one at Cambridge and Hwy. 50 and one near Cameron Park Drive and Hwy. 50 (on Rodeo Drive). A bus pass is $144 per month or you can get tickets for $4 each way ($8 per day). If you work for the government, you can get $65 off of the price per month. For less money, you can also take the El Dorado Transit to the Light Rail station in Folsom and take a combination of bus/train. You could also drive down to Folsom and take the Light Rail. The parking is free for Light Rail and the monthly pass is pretty cheap.

You can also drive but parking can be steep and hard to find in some parts of downtown Sac. The traffic is bad during the regular commute hours (6:30 am to 8:30 am and 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm). The traffic is also heavy going east on Fridays because of everyone heading from the Bay Area to Tahoe.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:03 PM

8 posts, read 37,971 times
with only 11 inches of rain so far this year, no worries about flooding.
50 commute, IMO, is better than 80 commute to Sacramento, and I've done both. Really depends when you leave; avoid rush hour if you can.

Be careful where you rent; some places in CP aren't very nice, a bit dangerous, actually (Cimmaron road has some questionable apartment places).

Old 07-17-2007, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,511 times
Talking Hi, I Have A Few Questions

How'the Cost Of Living In Northern Ca? Are There Tremors Felt
Daily? Do You Know If Teaching Or Sustitue Tea'' Jobs Are Avail?
Does Calif. Have Any Affortable Cities Or A County Left?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 37,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvelez View Post
How'the Cost Of Living In Northern Ca? Are There Tremors Felt
Daily? Do You Know If Teaching Or Sustitue Tea'' Jobs Are Avail?
Does Calif. Have Any Affortable Cities Or A County Left?
cost of living is higher than most other states; I think it's lower than so. cal, but I'm not sure since I try to avoid it down there.

Lots of substitute and teaching jobs, provided you're qualified (i.e. california teaching credential)

Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 PM

33,322 posts, read 14,142,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBlue View Post
You might be able to find a home to rent with some acreage in Shingle Springs which is the next town east of Cameron Park. Cameron Park has become less rural over the years, but almost all of Cameron Park is nice and the schools are excellent. To the south of Hwy. 50 are 5 acre ranchettes and to the north are housing tracks. Even though the homes don't have miles between them, the feeling is rural and there's lots of oak trees. There are rentals and homes in various price ranges, but home prices start around $400,000, unless the home is a fixer. There are quite a few apartments to choose from and most are nice. You can check on REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale for rentals in the area.

There are several options for commuting from CP to Sac. El Dorado operates the El Dorado Transit bus line. There are two park and ride locations in CP: one at Cambridge and Hwy. 50 and one near Cameron Park Drive and Hwy. 50 (on Rodeo Drive). A bus pass is $144 per month or you can get tickets for $4 each way ($8 per day). If you work for the government, you can get $65 off of the price per month. For less money, you can also take the El Dorado Transit to the Light Rail station in Folsom and take a combination of bus/train. You could also drive down to Folsom and take the Light Rail. The parking is free for Light Rail and the monthly pass is pretty cheap.

You can also drive but parking can be steep and hard to find in some parts of downtown Sac. The traffic is bad during the regular commute hours (6:30 am to 8:30 am and 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm). The traffic is also heavy going east on Fridays because of everyone heading from the Bay Area to Tahoe.
I totally agree, I lived in Placerville for 30 years, will be visiting in sept. DD lives in Sac and best friend lives in Rescue. It is all growing, I haven't been to Cameron Park in 5 years. I wll get some pics in Sept. My family still has commercial property in P ville just north of Shingle springs at the El Dorado Y. If you can wait, I will post some. There is tremendous growth and prices have gone sky high (too me). The commute to sac isn't that bad on 50. Good Luck!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:26 PM

Kidblue, thank you for all the good advice, I will call triple AAA and get some maps and contact Shingle Springs and see if the town can send me a information package. I hope to go on the web this weekend and check with the Realtor.com. I truly appreciated your help. Will keep this and print it out to go by your suggestions. yenoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBlue View Post

Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 PM

Tasmtairy:

Thank you and if you do not mind sharing the pics it would be wonderful to see. It just seems everything is high no matter where you go these days and thought it would be cheaper to go up North then the Bay Area. Thank you again for taking time to share. Yenoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I totally agree, I lived in Placerville for 30 years, will be visiting in sept. DD lives in Sac and best friend lives in Rescue. It is all growing, I haven't been to Cameron Park in 5 years. I wll get some pics in Sept. My family still has commercial property in P ville just north of Shingle springs at the El Dorado Y. If you can wait, I will post some. There is tremendous growth and prices have gone sky high (too me). The commute to sac isn't that bad on 50. Good Luck!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 PM

Froggreenstang:

I was reading in places that I needed to stay out of flood areas. I just did not want to have to worry about that when getting moved. Thank you for your insite to Cimmaron Road. I have so many decisions to think about, and appreciate everyones advice. Yenoh

QUOTE=froggreenstang;1086676]with only 11 inches of rain so far this year, no worries about flooding.
50 commute, IMO, is better than 80 commute to Sacramento, and I've done both. Really depends when you leave; avoid rush hour if you can.

Be careful where you rent; some places in CP aren't very nice, a bit dangerous, actually (Cimmaron road has some questionable apartment places).[/quote]

Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 PM

424 posts, read 2,577,344 times
Yenoh,

Shingle Springs is really small. They actually consider Placerville and South Lake Tahoe to be the only "cities" in El Dorado County. You might want to check with a realtor in CP or SS if you can't get information from the town of SS. You could also check with the Chamber of Commerce in Placerville. Since PV is not very large (about 9,000) they tend to include information about the general area (known as The Western Slope). Once you've done more research I can let you know (or others on the Forum) what the specific areas you are looking into are like.

I know I got quite a surprise when I actually visited some small towns in Wester WA. They were VERY different (some good and some not good) than I had expected and I did lots of research. I've lived in the Sacramento-Loomis-Shingle Springs area for over 40 years and have lived in SS for almost 20, so I know quite a bit about the area. Some of my family members live in Rescue and some in PV, so I can find out information about those areas too.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento