U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 12,705 times

Advertisements

Hey guys...thanks for the responses ! Well I have pretty much decided to move to Folsom. yeah CA could use my tax money. But I m also expecting Folsom/Sacramento to keep my social calendar busy on weekends as wburg said in his post.
Btw, I have spent sometime in Austin and that is why the decision was a bit difficult for a young engineer like me. But at the end of the day, I guess my career is more important to me than anything.
Comments and suggestions? any pointers on good areas to live in Folsom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 01:39 PM

8,707 posts, read 9,445,732 times
Ive lived in both and there is no wrong answer here. You'll do fine.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:19 PM

25,627 posts, read 32,264,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_gt View Post
Hey guys...thanks for the responses ! Well I have pretty much decided to move to Folsom. yeah CA could use my tax money. But I m also expecting Folsom/Sacramento to keep my social calendar busy on weekends as wburg said in his post.
Btw, I have spent sometime in Austin and that is why the decision was a bit difficult for a young engineer like me. But at the end of the day, I guess my career is more important to me than anything.

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously

Score another sucker for California.

JUST KIDDING. Good luck in your endeavors.

Honestly if you drew a box with Rocklin/Loomis in the north to Folsom/Eldo Hills in the south and everything in between you would have one of the Best places to live in Nor cal right now.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 PM

9 posts, read 14,128 times
This is a joke post right? Austin versus Folsom? Austin is one of the best places to live in the US. Great live world class music every night of the week in a myriad of small bars and honky tonks all over the city. Great parks and outdoor activities. Good little airport with cheap flights everywhere. SXSW festival - austin city limits music festival - flat rock - lake travis - drive to San Antonia- get a graduate degree or audit a class at Univ of Texas. I don't know where to stop? Austin is head and shoulders above the rest.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:56 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,562,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popo54 View Post
This is a joke post right? Austin versus Folsom? Austin is one of the best places to live in the US. Great live world class music every night of the week in a myriad of small bars and honky tonks all over the city. Great parks and outdoor activities. Good little airport with cheap flights everywhere. SXSW festival - austin city limits music festival - flat rock - lake travis - drive to San Antonia- get a graduate degree or audit a class at Univ of Texas. I don't know where to stop? Austin is head and shoulders above the rest.
You don't get around much do you?

Please. There are tons of cities better than Austin. Not saying Sacramento is better, but they are probably roughly comparable overall.

There are tons of cities with better culture, nightlife and things to offer than Austin or any city in Texas for that matter.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:36 PM

491 posts, read 1,139,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_gt View Post
I'm a native Texan who is familiar with Austin and right now, I live down the road from Folsom. I guessing you mightl be working for Intel? If so, there are some nice apartments across from the campus. A little expensive, but nice. I'd check them out.

My son is an EE major going into his senior year in the fall. He turned down an intern offer this summer with TI in Austin because they were so cheesy with reneging on things they promised him. He found that most Texas firms had the impression that EE's and CE's would work for a low rate just to get experience. California firms, especially in Silicon Valley (and also Intel) are scrambling to get engineering talent and willing to pay with both salary and perks. It's a whole different ballgame from Texas. He also turned down Intel because he had interned there for two summers and wanted something different. He ended up in Mountain View with a start-up.

I think you will like Folsom. Austin is ok, but it is filling up with people who do not have the skill set to make a living. Check out the the Austin boards on this forum for lots and lots of info on Austin. Folsom is different from Austin--mostly not as active- but there is plenty to do what with the proximity to Tahoe and San Francisco. That is one advantage that Austin cannot match.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 07-17-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 PM

8,375 posts, read 15,215,320 times
Folsom is a lot smaller city than Austin--and while Sacramento still has a long way to go compared to Austin's music scene, we do okay, and it's a lot shorter drive to Sacramento than San Francisco (and still a lot cheaper to park!)

Old 08-07-2011, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 12,705 times
After living for around six months in Folsom, I am thinking of moving to Sac downtown. There is nothing wrong with Folsom but it’s more of a family-oriented place where not a lot is happening. The thing is I am in my Early-20s, recently graduated and want to live near the action (restaurant, bars, concerts etc). Since I work in Folsom it’s going to be 20-25 min drive every day, but I don’t mind it because I will be driving against the traffic. My budget is around $ 1K and looking for studio or preferably 1BR apartment. I don’t want to spend lavishly but I am willing to pay for quality. I am searching for a place which is within walking distance to bars/clubs etc. So far I have found the following apartments:
1801 L Apartments
800 J Lofts
Fremont Building Apartments (P and 16 above Starbucks)
I found them only since they have established websites however I feel that they are the ones on the expensive side. I am not familiar with the area yet but I know that there are always some hidden gems where I can get a lot better deals and a good bang for my bucks.
Do you guys have any recommendations or suggestions? If there is someone who knows of better apartment deals in downtown Sac, please share.

@ElectroPlumber
Yes, you guessed it right ....And btw I had a job offer from TI too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento