U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 12,705 times

Advertisements

I am a fresh grad who just completed his degree in engineering. I have got a couple of offers from companies based in Austin and Folsom. The company in austin is smaller as compared to the one in Folsom. However, I have heard that Austin is really cool place to live for young and single people and it is cheaper too as compared to any place in CA. I have been to 6th Street in Austin and its pretty awesome. Moreover, its famous for its live music scene. I am very much inclined to join the big company in Folsom but the living in Austin is making my decision difficult. I was just wondering about options for young and single people which Folsom/Sacramento can offer. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 AM

77,027 posts, read 89,846,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_gt View Post
I am a fresh grad who just completed his degree in engineering. I have got a couple of offers from companies based in Austin and Folsom. The company in austin is smaller as compared to the one in Folsom. However, I have heard that Austin is really cool place to live for young and single people and it is cheaper too as compared to any place in CA. I have been to 6th Street in Austin and its pretty awesome. Moreover, its famous for its live music scene. I am very much inclined to join the big company in Folsom but the living in Austin is making my decision difficult. I was just wondering about options for young and single people which Folsom/Sacramento can offer. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.
I would choose the company with the best future or where you will get the best experience. yes, living in a fun place when you are young is really important and certainly Austin has a lot to offer but your future and company benefits have to play a roll.

You might also ask yourself, what do you really enjoy, are you liberal or conservative or a little of both? Do you like sports, want to live in a college town, can you accept the horrible humid summers in Texas? All these are issues.

I love both the Sacramento area and Texas for different reasons. And yes, living in Austin might be less expensive overall compared to California. If you decide on Folsom you may want to look at apartments closer to
Sacramento. You would be driving against traffic so the comute wouldn't be all that bad.

Nita

Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 AM

25,627 posts, read 32,261,493 times
An educated person with a job. Please stay in California. We need all the tax base we can get. By all means Folsom is a much better place to live than Austin. Don't just take a look at Folsom proper. Look at all that Northern California has to offer.

If you just looking at what Folsom/Sac has to offer your missing the big picture of all that Northern California has to offer. Do you want me to get on my knees and beg to keep your tax dollars here? That's not beneath me.

LOL good luck in what ever decision you make. Sounds like you made the best one of your life already by getting and education and a good job at a young age.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 AM

25,627 posts, read 32,261,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would choose the company with the best future or where you will get the best experience. yes, living in a fun place when you are young is really important and certainly Austin has a lot to offer but your future and company benefits have to play a roll.

You might also ask yourself, what do you really enjoy, are you liberal or conservative or a little of both? Do you like sports, want to live in a college town, can you accept the horrible humid summers in Texas? All these are issues.

I love both the Sacramento area and Texas for different reasons. And yes, living in Austin might be less expensive overall compared to California. If you decide on Folsom you may want to look at apartments closer to
Sacramento. You would be driving against traffic so the comute wouldn't be all that bad.

Nita
HEY HEY HEY!!! No fair California only please for this person. He actually has a job lined up and can pay taxes.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 PM

23,601 posts, read 33,011,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
HEY HEY HEY!!! No fair California only please for this person. He actually has a job lined up and can pay taxes.
Besides, Austin is still in Texas, isn't it?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,836,462 times
I live close to Folsom, and I lived in Austin for 3 years when I was fresh out of college. I can tell you that Austin is certainly the best city in Texas to live. Especially for a recent college graduate. It has a lot of young, well educated people. The night life is great, as well as the live music scene. You are close to Lake Travis, and it's on the edge of the Hill Country, which is really the prettiest part of Texas. Austin is also known as being the most liberal city in Texas, though that leaves it a far cry from the liberal cities in CA. The humidity in Austin is not quite as oppressive as Houston, but it is still worse than here. The city has grown so much that traffic in the area has gotten rotten. If I ever had to move back to Texas, it would be to Austin. Cost of living is higher in Austin than many Texas cities, but certainly cheaper than here. No state income tax, but property taxes are high. Won't affect you too much if you don't buy a house right away.

Folsom is hard. I'm much older now, married with a young child. I'm not sure how much Folsom would offer in terms of social/nightlife. It seems to be more of a family oriented suburb to me. But you do have great access to wonderful areas - San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and all the other really awesome places within just a couple of hours of here. If you are into outdoor activities, Folsom could be a great choice.

All in all, being happy with where you live is very important. But so is being employed and being able to pay your bills. Look closely at the companies that made your offers. Pull up their Annual Statements and look closely at their P&L and balance sheets. Are they thriving? Is your small company at risk of going out of business? Are they hinging on just 1 product that might not make it? If so, are there other jobs available nearby? How is the large company doing? Are they having layoffs? Has their stock price been dropping lately? What are the market share trends. The last thing you want is to move across country for a job, pay all the expenses to get set up somewhere, then find yourself unemployed.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know where you end up.
Nina

I'm older an

Old 01-13-2011, 05:38 PM

771 posts, read 1,415,602 times
Austin. Folsom is a bedroom suburb full of right wing Republicans.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 PM

8,373 posts, read 15,213,561 times
Sacramento has a decent music scene in its own right, but Austin is pretty legendary. A friend moved there with her band last year (one of their new bandmembers lived in Austin) and she seems to like it, and her band is really getting a lot more attention on a national scale--not sure how much moving to Austin had to do with it.

And yeah, Folsom is a bedroom suburb--I'm sure Austin has bedroom suburbs too. Sacramento isn't Austin or San Francisco, but if you're a young engineer who works hard but wants to check out live bands and other entertainment on the weekends, there is enough going on here to keep your social calendar pretty full. Cost of living may be higher in general in California, but Sacramento is about the cheapest big city (except maybe Fresno or Bakersfield.)

Old 01-15-2011, 02:41 AM

505 posts, read 1,538,742 times
There is not much I can add to what everyone has already mentioned. It will largely depend on your lifestyle since Folsom is more family oriented, but is close to many cities like Roseville, Rocklin, Sacramento. Austin is much more lively and comparable in afford-ability. My wife and I was very close to moving to Austin as well before we decided on the Lincoln/Rocklin/Roseville area. My best suggestion is to try and spend some time in each city and see which you like better. It doesn't take much - maybe a weekend here and there - but it will save you a lot of time later if you decide that it's not right for you.

One thing is the heat in Austin. The first few times we went were in the fall and the weather was absolutely beautiful and we thought "man we could live here!" The next few times we came out during the summer and it was just unbearable. I'm used to Northern California heat, but Austin heat is more humid whereas CA heat is more of a dry heat. I remember eating dinner and getting out of the restaurant around 9:30-10pm and it was like walking into a sauna. That was one of the things that had us rethinking the move.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:49 AM

77,027 posts, read 89,846,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Now we need to know what he decided, yes, I am sure Ca could use his tax money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento