U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 AM

810 posts, read 2,457,565 times

Advertisements

So, on late Wednesday afternoon I stumbled upon one of the most grizzly scenes I've seen in my life; a dead person smacked down on the asphalt at the off ramp of H St (at 30th) from the Business 80 exit. At first I thought it was an animal until I saw part of his left shoe poking out from the yellow tarp that CHP/Sac PD covered his carcass with.
I went home and scoured the internet and checked the local evening news: no mention.
The next morning I did the same thing: no mention. I even DVRd the KCRA and KXTV mid-day news, but still, nothing.
I told a friend that I indeed saw this as well as the dozens of other people who were stuck in traffic and he managed to finally find this little blurb buried deep within the bowels of the SacBee website:

Home -> Latest
Latest
Man found dead near Capital City Freeway
clocke@sacbee.com (Cathy Locke)
Posted: 01/26/2011 8:02 PM

More Latest >>
Next >>
The California Highway Patrol has issued a traffic alert for motorists on the eastbound Capital City Freeway in the area of H Street in Sacramento because of police activity.
The Sacramento Police Department reports that a man believed to be in his 50s may have jumped from the freeway ramp near 30th and H streets. The incident occurred about 4:20 p.m., and the man was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said the incident is under investigation.
Sacramento police Sgt. Norm Leong said traffic one lane of the H Street offramp is closed.
No further details were immediately available.

Well, thank you Cathy Locke at SacBee for proving what I saw was real and not some twisted mirage.
The real issue here (other then the tragic death of this man) is the absolute ineptitude of the local media. If a news event doesn't contain snow at Blue Mountain (who really goes up there anyway other then skiers??), minute by painful minute of traffic reports, "news" sponsored events like the neighborhood e-waste drive, or Dierdre Fitzpatrick and her phony, "I really don't want to be here" smile, then I guess it's not worth reporting.
It's sickening and unbelievable.

Last edited by cityx; 01-28-2011 at 07:49 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 AM

13,860 posts, read 24,611,570 times
I've noticed this too, and agree with you. I'll add that animal and food stories also top the local media reporting, and this seems to fit with a national trend.

The motto of local news used to be "if it bleeds, it leads", but those days are clearly over.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:15 AM

85 posts, read 367,018 times
The sacramento area is huge. If you think a story needs to be in the paper, it helps if you call them and let them know about it. Then they can do the research and follow ups. But alot of times they just don't know and rely on the population for "tips".
I think the smaller local papers like the placer herald and appeal democrat are better at scouring the community and digging up stories.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 AM

810 posts, read 2,457,565 times
The local media really dropped the ball on this one. This happened on the edge of midtown, not more then a mile from KCRA during rush hour.
They simply should have known.
It is their job to report the news to us, not us reporting the news to them. I do agree it's symptomatic of the current media trends as mentioned by the previous poster but also a shift of valuable resources into **overkill reporting** of community events such as high school sports, earlier mentioned e-waste drives, marathons, race for the...(insert affliction of choice), weather and "fluff stories". Some of these stories are important, but the over saturation compromises manpower/resources from what we used to see with the "roving reporter", organic way, of reporting the news.
Flip on the morning newscast on any channel and you will see firsthand how it's a head spinning race through a cluster of headlines just to devote five or six minutes on the weather several times an hour.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:53 PM

49 posts, read 347,629 times
So some guy commits suicide and this should be plastered all over the evening news? Why?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:41 PM

2,511 posts, read 5,452,897 times
I guess you haven't figured it out yet. They are putting garbage news ahead of everything else for ad revenue purposes. Garbage is what you see when you go to any of the local media webpages and finding anything beyond that is extremely difficult due to their website design, as moving the pages up and down, left and right.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 15,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcguire View Post
So some guy commits suicide and this should be plastered all over the evening news? Why?
I think you missed the point of the original poster's issue.
If it traffic is tied up because of this rather unique event (someone jumping off a freeway bridge) then a traffic alert or a basic one minute explanation as to why doesn't sound unreasonable. No one is suggesting it should be "plastered" all over the news.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,439,790 times
That area has thousands of homeless persons. Its not breaking news if one dies accidentally and sadly.
The local media seems to waste a lot of energy going after state workers that took an extra 5 minutes on their lunch, or some silly stuff.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 PM

433 posts, read 1,467,058 times
Not everyone dead person gets to make the paper or local news.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,227 times
Sacramento media reports happy light nonsense keeping in mind the importance of the capital cities image and tourism business. there are kids dying in the streets daily yet these deaths are rarely covered. Many of these deaths are related to gang activity as groups fight over the huge drug trafficking business. Methamphetamine is easier to find than a good cup of coffee in many neighborhoods. The news media are puppets not journalists -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento