Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 AM

48 posts, read 147,946 times

Advertisements

Well I can answer this question since I lived in South Sacramento for a long time. I've lived in Oak Park, Elder Creek, then off of Mack Rd/Center Parkway. How bad is it? Not too bad if you have some sort of street knowledge. Street smarts can get you by in bad neighborhoods. If you look or act out of place then trust that someone will notice and take advantage of the situation. But really that's if you're living in the area. If you're just going to work there then you have nothing to worry about. You don't have to worry about your car getting broken into (as long as you don't have obvious things in the car to attract thieves), you won't have to worry about getting robbed out in public. I'll be 100% honest because I grew up with friends that were in gangs (B.A.Y., Valley High Crips), if you look or act paranoid and scared out in public, and somebody with bad intentions notices, you will become a target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 AM

30 posts, read 195,680 times
Thank you very much for all of your input. I appreciate it very much.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
Well I live in South of Oak park (Off of 12th Ave & MLK), It is one of the worst neighboorhoods in the area(I believed), but I mind my own bussiness and drive at night and shop during the day and I have never been robbed, assaulted, or my vehicle broken into, but I'm allways aware of my surundings, not just here, but everywhere I go. And I used common sense. I placed a neighborhood map just copy and paste on the browser to give an idea of the city layout....any more info just let me know.
[email]travieso4fun@hotmail.com[/email]
[url=http://www.cityofsacramento.org/ns/your-neighborhood/maps-and-boundaries/]Maps and Boundaries[/url]

Old 02-29-2012, 05:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,286,846 times
Near Oak Park are streets that actually have some minor instances of true urban prairie. It's been that way since I was a kid, and I suspect those lots were places burned out during the Oak Park riot.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,436,045 times
if your white you will be the minority in South Sac, I mostly see Southeast asians, Hispanics, Blacks

it's kind of a ghetto area

Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,127,737 times
Oak Park has a gradual decline. North Oak Park is okay in some parts. Not as nice as the med center area but okay.Going south, once you get to 2nd Ave it starts to get more dicey. Fenced up and Gated properties become the norm, bars on windows become more frequent as do people driving cars with loud bass. This is really kind of the transitional area going south until you hit McClatchy Park and broadway. At that point all bets are off. You're in a tough part of town.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 PM

30 posts, read 81,359 times
It's not a place most would choose to move into. Of course, same could be said of Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Natomas, Rancho Cordova. Not a lot of "there" there. But I've lived around but not in Sacramento since 1992 and the "south area" was bad then, hasn't improved, and sadly I doubt that it will. Like most places, if you see a group of young men standing around, watching you drive toward them, you should exit the area. But otherwise, folks are folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento