Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 PM

6 posts, read 38,077 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Lake Tahoe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
Mom2X I lived in N.CA for 16 years and we had one of the highest ratios of sex offenders in area. It was scary raising kids there. We had one of the worst sex offenders living within 4 miles of our home and we were not aware of him. The police told us that the offenders tend to go to mountainous areas because it is easier for them to hide. Just watch your children, trust few. The offender in our area was an active member of the church and taught Sunday School (I am not blaming the religious) so you never know.
We are living in Peoria right now and I do miss CA very much. Good luck to you.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,577 times
Have you visited Woodland or Davis? try yolocountry.org for info.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 PM

48 posts, read 404,920 times
Unless the number is extremely high (San Jose for example), then I would not be concerned about this. The information available assumes 1. crime commitited 2. person caught 3. person charged/convicted 4. person registered 5. person actually living where they are registered. ... How many sex offenders fall into these 5 categories and make it into the data? My guess, 1-2%, who knows!

This number makes up a very small percentage of people walking around that are a threat to your children. We must protect our children everywhere ... even with close friends and family that have the most access to them. Sadly, that is how most sex crimes occur. ... Now, a place like San Jose, that is a diffferent story, just look at the Megans Law website--shocking!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,275 times
You can also find more in El Dorado Hills CA where there is a substantial amount of Registered Sex Offenders. I bet the ratio is worse than Auburn. Some are not publicly known like Robert Beckinger, owner of Beck's Furniture. Like Robert Beckinger, not everyone has to be on Megan's law. His case involved rape of a minor when he was 59 year's old.
It's sad that in places like El Dorado Hills, you have many sex offenders living in place looking down on Folsom, CA.
Someone needs to crate a google map that shows all of the sex offenerds in any city along with their pictures and crimes. Then when we look at the live view, we can see exactly what their house looks like, hence we all know where you live and what you look like.
Eventually, they can all move to their own island, as posted on another forum, and they can commit crimes against themselves.
"Birds of a feather, flock together."

Old 05-08-2008, 05:43 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momx2 View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to Auburn, or other small community outside of Sacramento, from the Phoenix area. We just visited Auburn, Placerville, etc and came away very excited about a possible move until we visited city-data.com and looked at the sex offender to population ratio. Auburn 174 to 1, Placerville 226-1, we live in Peoria, AZ where the ration is 9,590 to 1. We do not understand. Does CA define sex offenders differently? Has anyone experienced a problem? How are other parents dealing with this? We really would love to move to a smaller community, less pollution, better weather, more property.....but at what expense? Is there a better area for us?
As we all know statistics can be misleading without significant research into how they were determined. I think it would help you to browse the Montana forum and look specifically at the thread: "Why so many violent/sex offenders in Montana?" There are some good posts explaining the frequency of sex offenders crimes reported and why. In addition, one poster is discussing categories of sex crimes such as Class 1, 2 & 3. Are you sure your numbers are apples to apples? I also wonder if the numbers are reported within city limits, etc. Most of the population in Placerville is rural, but we are all lumped into the same zip code. Since you are looking for land for your dogs to roam, it might make a difference.

I don't know why, but some data on California statistics on the Montana thread doesn't agree with the high figures you have for Placerville & Auburn. One of these sources is incorrect. For example, one guy says, "our absolute worst city in the California county of Orange, named Santa Ana, has 213 sex offenders for a population around 350,000. By my calculations that would mean a ratio of 1643 to 1. Therefore, check the validity of your data. Something is off here.

Finally, I have done some consulting work with Atascadero State Hospital and their "Mentally Disordered Sex Offender" program. My experience is, the hardcore patients are almost never cured. As others on this thread have advised, your safest approach is thorough education of your children. Unfortunately, our system does not do a good job protecting us from these people, and you can only hope to heighten your child's awareness.

There are some in almost every town, but I hope this info helps you refine the first impression from the numbers you have been given. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:59 PM

141 posts, read 534,591 times
The data is too general to draw conclusions to help steer you to one place or another. Sex offenders exist wherever males exist. I have not heard of any data suggesting sex offenders flock to one location or another. There are way more important factors to consider.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovin View Post
The data is too general to draw conclusions to help steer you to one place or another. Sex offenders exist wherever males exist. I have not heard of any data suggesting sex offenders flock to one location or another. There are way more important factors to consider.
I won't debate the higher frequency of male offenders, but considering all the news stories of female teachers abusing their students, let's include BOTH males and females in your statement.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 AM

599 posts, read 1,652,319 times
National Sex Offender Registry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento