U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,015 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on relocating to Nevada County. We would like to purchase 20+ acres and live in a yurt.

Is anyone familiar enough with the building codes to know if this is even a possibility? The land would probably be zoned res-ag.

Thank you all for your help! This forum is a wealth of information!

Nicole
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,792 times
HI there, I am a Interior Designer so I'm not sure but I use Lincoln and Long Civil Engineering. Talk to David Long 530-273-0503. They can do soil testing and tell you right away. They are the BEST for this kind of thing. Good luck.
Stef

Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 PM

6,958 posts, read 20,056,841 times
As an old hippie, alternative lifestyle type (yes it's true, even the happy hippies can become real estate brokers), a day like today with several inches of snow on the ground at a pretty low elevation, leaves me wondering, where are all those folks living in yurts today?

Most counties in CA have established the permissions that would apply to what they would call a temporary structure. (indeed that's what the Mongolian tribes would call them). You should probably start here; My Nevada County - Building and then work your way up the food chain.

In my county, I remember a day a half dozen years ago when one of our very well intentioned citizens suggested that the solution for the homeless was yurts (to be fair she even suggested one in her yard).

Good luck in your endeavors!

Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 PM

86 posts, read 206,593 times
There have been Yurts in Davis (Yolo county) for decades. They are recently been torn down to make way for homes, but it appears Yolo county allows Yurts.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 PM

38 posts, read 94,967 times
Good luck. I think Yurts are beautiful. Ever since I saw the film "Babies" Ive researched the "Yurt" structure. Very interesting.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,048 times
Hi, I just checked the Nevada County MLS and there is a beautiful 20 acre parcel for sale with a small yurt on it that "overlooks Wolf Creek." The photo shows a meadow of wild flowers too. I'm not certain this yurt is suitable for year round living but it says it has electricity. I could find out more if you are interested. I would also advice you as I do all of my clients to check with the county building dept re any related issues.
Keep Smiling,
Diane

Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 PM

577 posts, read 1,632,684 times
Here's a yurt for sale ..... there are a few others listed too. Look on the "gold Country" craigslist

24' Yurt home with bathhouse, kitchen, and entryway (http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/for/2474289328.html - broken link)

Old 08-01-2011, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,364 times
Default finding Ca regs to put up a yurt

We own 10 acres in Shasta county and want to put up a yurt. How would I find out what regs we have to deal with and other issues we would have to over come? I don't have any idea where to start. Thank you very much for any help you could give.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:08 PM

6,958 posts, read 20,056,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTomboc View Post
We own 10 acres in Shasta county and want to put up a yurt. How would I find out what regs we have to deal with and other issues we would have to over come? I don't have any idea where to start. Thank you very much for any help you could give.

Shasta County Resource Management - Building Division
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or