Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 02:13 PM

27 posts, read 128,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Try parts of New England-some great towns, seasons with a soft light, low crime, no road rage, and the highest quality of life in the country.

Low cost housing (median near 250K) in central and eastern Connecticut. Ocean near by with beaches, Boston 65 minites, Provdence and Hatford 30 minutes. Climate is milder then you think.

Coastal Maine is very pleasant as well. Vermont is wonderful but the winters can be tough.

Want more information from me in Connecticut ASK
I think he/she wanted to move to a place more affordable than Sacramento. Boston is not one of them unless you're talking about way out west of Boston. I know because we just moved from Boston to Sacramento.

New England is great if you don't mind the cold. Sure miss the ocean though....the beaches in Maine beats them in the bay area. Maybe I need to see beaches in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
Default People are vicious here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminglion View Post
I was crossing the street in citrus heights (sacramento) with my two year old, the light was green and someone turning right nearly hit us and then started screaming obsenities and insulting me for walking! I really hate sacramento.
Yeah - just this morning I was out jogging when I came to an intersection on a residential street. I clearly had the right of way as I ran across the street; then a moment later a big white pick-up truck raced up to the intersection but had to stop at the stop-sign because I was running across the street. I guess I pissed him off because I was in his way, forcing him to a make a complete stop which he legally had to do anyway regardless if I was there or not. He was a big fat white-trash guy and he shot me the dirtiest look like he was going to get out of his truck and beat the hell out of me. Then, I was barely out of his view before he slammed on the gas and screeched off onto the boulevard in a dramatic rage. I swear if I was a half-second slower crossing he would have run me over. Pretty scary stuff and I was very upset, freaked out, and saddened by the experience. Honestly, part of me wanted to track him down and slash his tires!! That's how freaking angry I was. That kind of behaviour is SO uncalled for and I did not deserve to be the object of his rage. I was just trying to do my morning jog while living my life as best as I could.
But I feel these situations we are mentioning are symptomatic of a larger problem here which is that most people hate living in this crap-hole as well. Either that or the guy who almost ran me down just found out that his wart-faced wife is having an affair with his even uglier and fatter brother!! But I digress. The real issue here is that the infrastructure is compromised big time, the air pollution is horrendous, the traffic load is way too much for the narrow surface streets and antiquated freeways to handle, and people overall are just plain fed up with all the sprawl, crime, and other baloney that goes on here.
The difference between us and them is that we don't take out our frustration on innocent people.

Last edited by cityx; 12-14-2007 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 04:51 PM

202 posts, read 534,755 times
Default Maybe.

...or maybe that guy was just one of many, many selfish and reckless drivers that plague... well, everywhere.

I confess I have trouble making the connection between "somebody was driving like a jerk yesterday!" and "Sacramento breeds jerk drivers!"

I've commented more than once to my wife on there seeming to be more idiots on the road here, but then I remember that I now live in a metropolis (something I've never done before), and thus alongside a greater number of people (and thus, a greater number of idiots).

I also find it interesting that I have experienced more road rage due to dangerous, aggressive drivers during *visits* to San Francisco and Los Angeles than during my months *living* here.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:14 PM

216 posts, read 376,538 times
Your missing the whole point of this board. We are all in therapy
and enjoy complaining how Sac has developed into one large ghetto
with selfish people, bad pollution, expensive homes ...

Come on. Get with the program

Seriously, your point is well taken. Show me a place where all of what
we complain about in Sacramento is not growing. It just doesn't exist.
People are getting more busy, more richer and there are side-effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnJack View Post
...or maybe that guy was just one of many, many selfish and reckless drivers that plague... well, everywhere.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:06 PM

433 posts, read 2,355,724 times
I don't see any difference between Sacramento and any other large, sprawling metropolitan areas. People are people. There is a certain percentage of jerks just about everywhere.

And as far as driving, I think it is actually better here overall than many places I've been to. Especially on the freeways. Sure, we have our dive bombers that like to stay in the left lane until the last possible moment and then careen across 4 or 5 lanes of active traffic to make their exit. And we have our soccer mom and giant SUV's that like to drive too slow in the #2 lane while yapping on cell phones and forcing the entire flow to divert around them. And we have the macho pickup truck types that bully you no matter how fast you go. Then you mix in the old retirees in their 1974 Winnebago's and the mobile Mexican food chuck wagon trucks and the 19 yo racing Honda drivers. Throw in a few hyper-motorcycles and beat up lawn care trucks for good measure. Somehow, this crazy mix gets between point A and point B. At least we don't all drive aggressive and tailgate like many metropolitan areas!

You could do a lot worse than Sacramento. I think many people are just in a funk about the difficult real estate market now. Post-bubble blues. You hear this same negative attitude big time on the Florida boards. I still like it here. Is it perfect? No, it is not. But good luck finding "paradise" out there... Everyplace that is nice is soon trampled over by newcomers looking for the latest "In-Place" to move to. You gotta zig when they zag or just stay put where you're at!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Good take on things!

I saw some homes in West Sac and Natomas that sold for $550K+ in 2005
and are now listed at $350K. People's perception depends on what they pay for something so that luxury home is now a regular tract home with all the problems of
tract living ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
I think many people are just in a funk about the difficult real estate market now. Post-bubble blues. You hear this same negative attitude big time on the Florida boards.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:33 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpd View Post
...that luxury home is now a regular tract home...
It always was.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
It always was.
Not true my over-weight friend. There are a bunch of
custom and semi-custom homes in the pocket area.
Now some of the custom upgrades like "conversation
pits" are a weird custom, but they are still custom homes.

Cheers.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:56 AM

4 posts, read 12,668 times
Default Maybe moving to E Sac?

Hi all,

First post on this board. I've been living in San Francisco for the past 20 years and I just can't take it anymore. The crime rate is out of control, the politics are childish, and, not to sound to indelicate, I've had just about enough "diversity." The company I work for has a branch in Folsom, so I've been thinking of possibly moving up that way. I've been thinking about living in Placerville. I can't afford to buy, so I'd be renting, at least for a while.

I know sac has crime and crowding and traffic, but keep in mind where I'm coming from.

I'd like to live somewhere that had an actual town with coffee shops and historic stuff.

Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone come from a big city and find it too slow? I have no real desire to live in Sacramento... I'm trying to get away from the big city thing, but may need to wean.

Thanks,
David

Old 01-20-2008, 10:11 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperdude View Post
Hi all,

First post on this board. I've been living in San Francisco for the past 20 years and I just can't take it anymore. The crime rate is out of control, the politics are childish, and, not to sound to indelicate, I've had just about enough "diversity." The company I work for has a branch in Folsom, so I've been thinking of possibly moving up that way. I've been thinking about living in Placerville. I can't afford to buy, so I'd be renting, at least for a while.

I know sac has crime and crowding and traffic, but keep in mind where I'm coming from.

I'd like to live somewhere that had an actual town with coffee shops and historic stuff.

Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone come from a big city and find it too slow? I have no real desire to live in Sacramento... I'm trying to get away from the big city thing, but may need to wean.

Thanks,
David
I see what you are saying about San Francisco. The liberalism and diversity can be very "in your face" and I consider myself to be a very liberal guy!
Placerville and Folsom are very nice areas with a lot of history. Folsom is about 20 miles from Sacramento whereas Placerville is about 20 miles from Folsom in the foothills. Folsom offers tons of buying and rental possibilities since it is a much bigger city than Placervile. However, I do like Placerville because you are surrounded by rolling hills, beautiful scenery, and are only an hour or so from some of the best skiing and recreation the Sierras offer. I will warn you that both areas do get very hot in the summer. Folsom averages in the mid 90's to low 100's and Placerville averages about 90 to 95 degrees. There is a good deal of air pollution and stagnate air that accumulates in the valley almost year round - especially in the foothill areas so you may be missing that ocean breeze after a while.
The political landscape is almost the polar opposite of San Francisco. I find both areas to be very conservative both politically and morally. I often see plenty of anti-gay marriage bumper stickers and tons of "W' bumper stickers which
clealy define a heavy Republican population. There isn't much racial diversity in these areas either unlike San Francisco or even Sacramento which depending on your views, could be a good or bad thing. IMHO, I would prefer to live in a less socially homogenized area.
The one BIG upside is that these areas are generally very safe to live and raise a family and of course, coming from the city as you are, will be very affordable to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento