Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 02:27 PM

590 posts, read 931,689 times

Advertisements

I'm a California native and have lived in the Sacto area most of my life (with the exception of a few years here and there). Let me first say that if you do move to the Sacto area then you can't get much better than Folsom. I've lived in Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks and within the Sacto city limits and Folsom is far and away the best of all of these places. I think other's on this thread already mentioned the horrendous traffic conditions in Citrus Heights, it truly is awful. I can be to CH in 20 minutes but it's like going into another world...like LA. Roseville, Rocklin and most of southern Placer county is a nightmare to drive in, full of a-hole drivers and freeway's that were outdated 20 years ago. How can I-80, the major continental freeway system that goes through the state capital of California, only have 10 (at the most) miles of carpool lane? Get the picture?

Folsom isn't all great though. The roads are becoming very crowded. East Bidwell St. is often times choked with cars to the point of not moving even on green lights. And if the jerk-off developer who owns the land on the south side of Hwy-50 can secure water rights then we're looking at 15,000 more residents. The smog in the summer here can be bad. Being that Folsom is at the base of the foothills the smog gets hung up and just sits on top of us. This happens even the winter. Summers here are hot and long. On a bad year it can be 90+ degrees by the start of May and continue this way until mid-October. Throw in a few weeks of 100+ degrees and there's Sacto for you.

On the plus side, being that Folsom is so new, so is the shopping and schools. The schools, especially elementary, are some of the highest ranked in the state. While there is a large amount of minority races most, if not all, are professionals who were brought over from their home countries to work at Intel and other computer firms so their children are smart and the parents aren't the type that pump out kids to create "anchor babies" so their 48 relatives in Mexico can become legalized citizens (sorry for the rant).

Now, with this all said, we can't wait to move to another state. The smog, traffic, overcrowding, expensive real estate, and lack of open space is really getting to us.

There's a couple of jokes about Sacto. one of 'em is...

What's the best thing about Sacto?

San Fran to the west and Lake Tahoe to the east.

Basically, there ain't much to do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperdude View Post
Hi all,

First post on this board. I've been living in San Francisco for the past 20 years and I just can't take it anymore. The crime rate is out of control, the politics are childish, and, not to sound to indelicate, I've had just about enough "diversity." The company I work for has a branch in Folsom, so I've been thinking of possibly moving up that way. I've been thinking about living in Placerville. I can't afford to buy, so I'd be renting, at least for a while.

I know sac has crime and crowding and traffic, but keep in mind where I'm coming from.

I'd like to live somewhere that had an actual town with coffee shops and historic stuff.

Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone come from a big city and find it too slow? I have no real desire to live in Sacramento... I'm trying to get away from the big city thing, but may need to wean.

Thanks,
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 03:06 AM

14 posts, read 94,177 times
Default Hasta la Vista

I'm a 6th generation Californian on my mom's side, I've moved around 40 times but have lived in Sac for 20 years, in Roseville, Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks, Cameron Park, Rancho Cordova, West Sacramento, Fruitridge, and Florin, California was surely the place to live up until about 1985 (Read Dark Alliance by Gary Webb, who was from Carmichael, for a glimpse as to why), here's my opinion on the Sacramento Valley: Meth addicts, govt welfare ran police state, your job application tucked neatly underneath 3000 other applications, people who can't grasp the idea that the left side of the freeway is for faster traffic right side for slower, people who can't even understand that cars have a blind spot in the mirror, that means you can't see people in the other lane, one simply needs to turn their head a bit and look behind themselves first before changing lanes, it's not rocket-science, gang territory from Sunrise Blvd to Meadowview, Northgate Blvd to Watt Ave, and all the post traumatic stress associated with such, if you don't live in Granite Bay Roseville the Pocket the University area/Arden by the river or the fabulous 40s downtown that means you are in the other 95% of the city in other words, you're falling asleep to gunshots and police helicopters ,yes really,thusly staying indoors because of fear of travelling leads to depression. As for the whole planet, I believe that some land is blessed and some land is cursed, literally. I've lived all over California and in several different states, avoid the 6191650510707 unless you worship Brittney Spears, Snoop Dogg, and popping your gums methed out in a trailer park in Rio Linda. I'd recommend: Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, or Washington instead, for those thinking of moving to California but want a decent family life: Santa Rosa, Eureka, San Luis Obispo, Monterey/Carmel, people seem a little more human and conversationable in those places. For those moving to California because you are sick of the perfect world you had in a small town, have fun in the fast lane, honestly I wish you all the best. Happy New Years!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 PM

154 posts, read 910,132 times
I've been living in this area for most of my 30 years. Other than moving to a few other states for short periods of time. My last move lasted 3 years, then I came back. I've lived in Fair Oaks, Orangevale, downtown Sacramento, Roseville, Placerville, and Rocklin. From what I remember from high school, this area is now very different. Most of the cow pastures are gone, the traffic is 100% worse, the people are different. Since when did Sacramento girls have fake tans and fake boobs? Sacramento people used to be considered "hicks" by the Bay Area and L.A. people. What happened? Did all those people move here, or are we now becoming them? Frankly, I hate it here now, I used to love it. The cost of living is RIDICULOUS and the QUALITY of living is just as bad. I commute for an hour, and I'm not really driving very far in distance. It's the traffic! The bad neighborhoods are also rapidly growing. I'm sad to see this whole area turn to crap. My husband is from the midwest and is always trying to talk me into moving there. I hate the midwest winters, but maybe it's worth it just to make a decent living for my kids. And the schools are better in the midwest. But the winters there... What should I do?? I love California, but it's eating itself alive!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 PM

62 posts, read 323,027 times
Does everyone think $250,000 for a home is reasonable ? Thats about a $ 2,000 house payment.We moved from Sacramento to the east coast & bought a 3800 sq. ft. 3 story home. Our monthly payment is $ 292.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:57 PM

7 posts, read 25,425 times
ive been in texas for olmost 10 years .Its horrible allergy capital of the world,bible thumping hillbillies ,high taxes(3% property tax)my wife cant get ateacher job shes to old ,white not bilingual dosent co to the right church and has no reletives to hire her .this place is hell!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkntx View Post
ive been in texas for olmost 10 years .Its horrible allergy capital of the world,bible thumping hillbillies ,high taxes(3% property tax)my wife cant get ateacher job shes to old ,white not bilingual dosent co to the right church and has no reletives to hire her .this place is hell!
I think I'm missing your point. This thread is titled, "Who else wants to move out of Sacramento". Did you move from Sacramento to Texas, and are now telling us that hell is actually worse than Sacramento? If so, thank you (Gracias).

Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 PM

31 posts, read 233,666 times
Unhappy Fed up with California

I was born and raised in Ca and I want to leave Ca too. People here are insane. The traffic is crazy, road rage constant, the people in public office are all corrupt and we can't seem to get them out, even with term limits, and you have to speak 2-3 languages to get a job or have Language Line on speed dial because you will be calling them 50 times a day. The hospital's and public school's are in the toilet and the taxes are stupid. Not to mention that the dense San Francisco, Marin County, Berkley and LA populations over ride the rest of the State in Elections. And unless you are well off financially, most people work 2 jobs just to make ends meet.
I would like to move to Virginia or South Carolina. Besides the South Western States any place has got to be better than the dark blue insanity that is running Ca into the ground!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:55 AM

8 posts, read 29,108 times
Talking Northeast living not as cheap

I moved from San Francisco, CA to Vermont over five years ago. Vermont is beautiful, the winters are long and very cold, oil will be a huge budget, and your electricity and traveling to the store could take up to 45 minutes one-way with no traffic. Regular gas cost about 3.15 a gallon for your car, and you could be traveling a hundred miles a day for work. Yes, it is beautiful, the land open, no bill boards on the roads, hardly any highway, two way roads traveling 50 to 65 miles an hour, and jobs pay much less, than you could image, luckily I have a good paying job that took me a year to find. I came from making 100,000.00 a year in the Bay Area to 40,000.00 a year here in VT. Food is high, vegetables are hard to find crispy and fresh in the stores, farmers market get as high a price as the stores but better produce, and dry cleaner for one pair of dress slack is $7.50. It is expensive and housing is just as high, I pay 1000.00 in rent each month, and oil to heat your home is at its highest 3.92 gallon. The summers are very short and we can still have snow in May, June the last few years has been cold and wet, but it is beautiful here, the outdoor activities go all year just have the right weather clothes and you can have fun all year long. I believe there is crime anywhere; here there are a lot of alcoholics and heroin users among the very old and young. Instead of them just killing you here, they cut you in pieces and bury you; it could take a state trooper over an hour or longer to respond. Just not enough police and they are mostly tracking the drug traffic. I believe crime and drugs is everywhere you go and sex offenders are the highest here, plus incest among the families are high. Domestic violence is high here and the unemployment rate is high among families here when winter comes. I have had a good life here and have lived well, but I watch my back when out shopping and grow my own vegetables in the summer that I start in a green house, because of the growing season, and can my food for the winter months. I will be moving back to CA this year and plan to move up in the Sacramento area even though I have not lived up that way before.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:14 PM

154 posts, read 910,132 times
If you're moving to Sacramento, stay out of the suburban fish bowl if you can. The suburbs around Sacramento are getting very crowded and dirty. Unless you are going to be living in a rich, gated community, but they have such strict rules, I don't think anyone would enjoy it in there unless you were 80+ years old. I am currently living in Rocklin, a suburb of Sac. My biggest problem here is not just the traffic, but the miles and miles of new fashion malls and car dealerships, and restaurants. You can drive for 20minutes around town and not see any trees or grass or nature of any kind. Just cement and new buildings. It's weird. I'm looking to relocate to Chico a little over an hour away from here. There are nice towns in northern CA that are so much better than Sacramento and it's suburbs.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,831 times
Hummm, maybe we need to move as well. Been in Folsom for 8 years and really don't like it. I am from the East Coast and my husband is from Europe. If we do stay in thearea, we are going to move to Davis. I think you have to find the right spot for you whether it is expensive or not, etc. The list goes on and on.

Cost of living is high anywhere you go anymore. While we want to move out of California something still ties us here and that is why Daivs maybe a good option for us. Move around and see what works is my motto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento