Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 03:32 PM

154 posts, read 910,132 times

Advertisements

Cost of living is high anywhere you go anymore. While we want to move out of California something still ties us here and that is why Daivs maybe a good option for us. Move around and see what works is my motto.[/quote]

Yes, there are a lot of wonderful towns around this area that are not considered suburbs of Sacramento. Folsom is just like I described in my other post. It's too crowded and if you don't want to shop at the mall, there's nothing to do! I'm heading towards Chico/RedBluff. Even Yuba City would be better. At least you have a big yard there and can go on a picnic in the woods if you want to, or take the dog out without having to pick up his poop all along the way! I still want to live in civilization, but in a little more rural setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:15 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
It's a little reactionary, this thread. I've lived in Sacramento. The thermometer breaks 100 only about 20 to 30 days a year. It's also a dry heat...not as dry as up in Reno/Carson City, but dry compared to the Midwest and the East Coast. The "Delta Breeze" comes in at night and cools it off. I grew up in So. Cal. and found people nicer and simpler in Sacramento. Not as complex or cosmopolitan, but easy to befriend. It was kind of like a Midwestern city thrown into the middle of California.

However, I will acknowledge that downtown Sac isn't very interesting and the suburbs, some of which are a little bit more upscale, aren't that stimulating. It's meant to be a place where you might raise kids. With that in mind, I put waaaayyyy too many miles on my car. Since Sac. itself isn't that exciting, it forces one to aim to Tahoe, the Bay Area, the Wine Country, Nevada City or up toward Lassen/Shasta any chance they get. So, you work in Sac and recreate around Sac.

The metro area is projected to add 1 million people in the next 20 years. That's pretty much what Atlanta or Dallas or San Diego or any other warm weather metropolis will add. If you're planning on retiring, you can head to the Sierras, up toward Chico/Paradise, or lots of other places without being drastic.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:45 PM

32 posts, read 184,573 times
I am planning on moving to Albuquerque from Sacramento. To me Sacramento has gotten to be a large city with no culture, it feels like a step up from Fresno or Bakersfield, which in my book is not worth the price. When I visited New Mexico I fell in love with the state. Albuquerque is slightly larger than Sactown by city limit comparisons, it has a gorgeous mountain range, great weather, outdoor activity, a good nightlife(University of New Mexico is in the city), and less traffic(which means cleaner air).

Old 05-30-2008, 04:04 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
I think I must live in a different Sacramento than many who have posted here. I find midtown/downtown Sacramento continually interesting, and find the culture engaging. My main weekend dilemna is picking which of several cool events I would like to participate in. We've got great architecture, lots of history, museums, close access to rivers, lakes and mountains, and there's enough nightlife that I sometimes get a bit sick of it. And if I counted things I could drive to within ten miles, that would add even more things to do!

Maybe I'm just one of those simple, boring folk who is easily amused. We're not small or quiet enough for those who prefer wide-open spaces and small towns, nor are we large or noisy enough for those who crave the excitement of the big cities that never sleep. Some might call it horrible, I call it the best of both worlds.

It gets hot sometimes, but y'know what? I've never had to shovel sunshine off of my driveway!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
I'm with WBurg

I lived Midtown nearly ten years - and I never felt at aloss for anything to do. But of course I also dated some people in the music industry and got to know alot of them and when you are having BBQs with Tesla it's a different experience I guess.

If I wanted to go out but have a kick back evening: Limelight
Dancing? 815 L
Coffee? Weatherstone
Breakfast? Cornerstone
Art Walk? Thursday
Concerts in the Park? Every friday in the spring/summer
Shopping? Pick a retro clothing store
Family fun? Chalk it Up - let the kids run wild at the park
Dog? Run around McKinely Park
Brunch (or even Happy Hour!) Fox & Goose
Chinese Food? Peach Garden
Pretencious? Blue Cue
Weird mix? Harlows
Bike Ride? How about the glorious Fab Forties
What to do on a saturday morning? Try the best garage sales around!
Saturday night? - any number of people BBQing!
Date Night? Tapa the World
Somewhere Fancy before heading to Memorial Auditorium? Lucci (wait did I spell that right?)
Get your hair done? Lush
Burger craving? Nationwide
Burger with a twist? Hamburger Mary's
Want a tattoo? AMerican Graffiti (I DID!)

I could go on and on and on

Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

It gets hot sometimes, but y'know what? I've never had to shovel sunshine off of my driveway!
Me either. I just have to scrape off dead mosquitos, bird droppings, gooey tree sap and thick, cakey pollen from my car.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:42 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
I love everything about Sac. Nightlife is get better and will only go up. Nice neighborhoods. The summers are hot, so what?? we get that delta breeze at night, which makes it a perfect night for activities. Geographically, we're two hours or less from the bay, mountains, snow. I don't live in Sac anymore, but it wasn't because I didn't like it. It was for other reasons such as attending college (SF Bay area). Even if I don't ever come back to live in Sacto, I'm always going to follow developments that are going on. The SacBee is the first paper I read and I wear my Sacramento Kings jersey proudly.

There are people out there who want to change it for the better.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:40 PM

64 posts, read 307,660 times
I lived in Midtown for years and it was lovely. But it's really changed which makes me sad because it was a great place. Now that all the BA people are taking over, the flavor has changed.

We moved to Davis to be closer to work. My husband and I have been looking for about a year to relocate as we really don't like the city or even the state anymore (and I am 3rd gen californian). It's crazy expensive and even as two recent faculty hires, we can't afford to stay. And while Davis styles its' self as progressive, once you live here you find out it really isn't. Now the city is in bad financial condition due to it's long term slow growth policies. The bloom is really off the rose.

We just accepted teaching positions for starting next fall, at UNC. We couldn't be happier.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 29,108 times
Cool Check it out before leaping to the East Coast

It is just as high here on the East coast to live, and the winters with the cost of fuel and electricity is very expensive. I would look on-line in the newspaper for the area that you plan to live and the cost of fuel. Housing has gone up everywhere, it is beautiful here in VT, and I have friends that live in CT, MA, NY, NH, and RI, which nothing is cheap.

I will be moving to Sac by this fall, my daughter is coming to get her masters degree, we are originally from Redwood City, CA but the cost around there is too high to live. I know Sac is hotter then the Bay Area, but we will try it, I love Nevada City, CA area but high paying jobs are hard to find. East Coast does not like to pay good money either, but keep looking and you will find good pay, because I did. Good luck in finding the peace you are seeking.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:38 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
I left Sacramento a couple years ago. The only reason i left was because a knucklehead like me couldn't find a decent job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento