Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:13 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,191,244 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to make one comment on your post, and you're not the only one that has said this, but here goes: (1) People can move to wherever they want to, all 50 states are the United States of America, and all Americans are free to live in any of the 50 states without hearing "I hate that people keep moving out here and driving up the cost of living". (2) Do you realize that people in all the other 49 states think the same think of you and those like you as you enter their states with your preconceived attitudes and beliefs, also driving the real estate prices up? Good Lord, do you honestly think that California is it's own country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmz76 View Post
I love my great Golden State, but lets face it...Who can afford a home over here anymore. Even the small dumpy towns cost too much. I can be paid slightly less money for the same job elsewhere, but purchase a home for about a quarter of what it costs in California. I grew up in Stockton, and I never I thought I'd see the day where homes would rise to the cost of what homes were worth in San Jose (my first hometown until age 7) just a few years ago. I hate that people keep moving out here and driving up the cost of living all for a little more sunshine. I blame the corporations and our state government more than anything else, and why not, when you have a bonehead like Awhnold in office. My parents are looking to move to San Antonio to retire and make the most of their pensions. I'm looking to move there too as I already have one friend out there and two more moving there. I'm am planning on pursuing a Masters myself, but for my major of Athletic Training, its limited to only Texas Tech or Stephen F. Austin. Arkansas (Fayetteville) would be the next likely school. So I'm ready to get out too. Fayetteville looks nice. I just fear tornados.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,406,341 times
Yes, it has gotten expensive here, but honestly, I really don't like the change in our local culture. It might be petty, but I HATE, I mean HATE it when someone is on my bumper and pass me with plates from the bay area.

I want a bumper sticker that says "Get off my a$$, you aren't in the Bay Area anymore". I really dislike that people don't have any concept of personal space. If I am waiting in line, don't stand on my shoes.

Its like Des says, if you move somewhere, have at least the common courtesy to at least try to follow local ideas or customs. I never wanted to live in SF, so don't bring it up to me because you can't afford the houses down there.

Phew..sorry, I don't mean to vent...its just one of the reasons that I am moving out of my native home.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmz76 View Post
I just fear tornados.
At least with tornados we will get some warning! I'll be moving to the North Fort Worth area.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:45 PM

424 posts, read 2,689,577 times
Default Not Just the Bay Area

I agree with Guingirl but either the ex Bay Area people are all over Sacramento or the rudeness has spread to other areas. I can't tell you how many times I've been driving (usually at least 5 or 10 miles over the limit) and I get some giant SUV inches off my bumper and this happens in the foothills.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:35 PM

47 posts, read 58,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Honestly, it has gotten REALLY bad the last few years because of the influx of bay area people. I am a native and I swear there are a lot of people that have NO idea of what personal space is in and out of a car.

I have had a few coworkers that I have driven with that I swear they don't understand the concept, if you can't see there back tires....
Rude drivers and road rage aren't unique to Sacramento. It exists in every city around the country ~ people no longer care about sharing the roadways. They are too concerned about getting to the drycleaners, the grocery store, the kids to their soccer game, piano lessons, etc. Good manners, family values and life priorities are a thing of the past for the majority of Americans (not all, but most). And it will most likely only get worse...

Last edited by TexDen; 12-05-2006 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-05-2006, 08:51 PM

Well Tex...my family is doing the opposite of you...we are moving to Texas

No it isn't unique to Sacramento these days, but it wasn't always this way. It would be different if I was the only one voicing these issues, but Im not. I grew up here and I hate some of what it has turned into. I have the opportunity to go live somewhere else where I won't have pre-conceived notions of what "it used to be back in the day".

Old 12-05-2006, 10:08 PM

Hi Guingirl,

Yep...I'm headed to Northern CA from Dallas/Fort Worth and you're leaving Northern CA to come to Fort Worth ~ I won't burst any bubbles for you :-) I think you'll find north Fort Worth to be okay ~ and being from Sacramento you won't be surprised when summer rolls around and it's 100 degrees plus everyday for 3 months! And don't forget the humidity ~ you'll love your hair on those days ;-) When you drive out, take the high road (I-40) - stay away from I-10. By staying in the higher altitudes you'll have a much more beautiful drive! Take your time and enjoy it ~ stop everywhere. I did it last year when I traveled to Santa Rosa to visit. It was so much fun and I was by myself ~ still fun! And just so pretty....

I wish you well friend! I'll leave Fort Worth in your good hands...

Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 PM

Thank you kind sir!

Old 12-07-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Thank you kind sir!
Hey girl,

I'm a kind "she" :-)

LOL!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:18 PM

Ooops! Sorry! I would same Mame, but honestly while respectful, it just sounds so old to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento