U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 PM

15,716 posts, read 17,696,028 times

Advertisements

Both are extremely high crime areas. Modesto has less than half the violent crime compared with Stockton does, however, because there is less (although still a lot of) gang activity. Stockton is a very large town (or small city), and there are a few good areas. Same with Modesto. Stockton has more to do, Modesto has slightly less crime.

Since you'd be getting off late and are concerned about safety, the question is where would you be working? Deciding which crime ridden city (Stockton worst 2%, Modesto worst 3%) isn't very helpful without looking at neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM

30 posts, read 172,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Both are extremely high crime areas. Modesto has less than half the violent crime compared with Stockton does, however, because there is less (although still a lot of) gang activity. Stockton is a very large town (or small city), and there are a few good areas. Same with Modesto. Stockton has more to do, Modesto has slightly less crime.

Since you'd be getting off late and are concerned about safety, the question is where would you be working? Deciding which crime ridden city (Stockton worst 2%, Modesto worst 3%) isn't very helpful without looking at neighborhoods.
Thank you for your response, it would be north or northwest in Modesto or Northeast in Stockton. Would this area be safe enough when getting off work late at night?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 PM

5,454 posts, read 8,378,743 times
Both of these cities are challenged to say the least, but I would say Stockton still takes the cake for being just about the worst in the state. I grew up for a couple of years in Modesto decades ago, my Dad worked for the junior college and then became a Dean at Columbia Jr. College and moved to Sonora but in a roundabout way I moved back to Modesto for Jr. College a while back. I still remember the neighborhoods by the Jr. College as being really nice, great stock of housing, big parks and huge trees. That would be the only place I would consider there, the outlying areas are iffy at best.

Good Luck

Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM

42 posts, read 75,787 times
I would choose to take the job at Stockton but stay in Elk Grove. It is about 20-30 minutes commute. My sister did that for awhile before she got a job in Elk Grove.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM

51 posts, read 131,875 times
I agree with what quang wrote. Elk grove is a suburb of sacramento which is a great city so you'll be getting awesome city life, a good neighborhood and an easy commute to your job

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM

30 posts, read 172,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quang View Post
I would choose to take the job at Stockton but stay in Elk Grove. It is about 20-30 minutes commute. My sister did that for awhile before she got a job in Elk Grove.
Thank you all of you for your inputs. Was that commute during the rush hour? Do most people commute from Stockton to Elk Grove in the morning or vice versa? If the commute is only 20-30 min during rush hour from Elk Grove to North Stockton, then it would be doable.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 AM

42 posts, read 75,787 times
I don't think there is traffic from Elk Grove to Stockton during rush hour. Majority of people in Elk Grove are going up North, not South.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM

25,627 posts, read 32,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertOasis View Post
Thank you all of you for your inputs. Was that commute during the rush hour? Do most people commute from Stockton to Elk Grove in the morning or vice versa? If the commute is only 20-30 min during rush hour from Elk Grove to North Stockton, then it would be doable.
I can only think of on reason to live in Elk Grove and commute to Stockton. Being a resident of Sacramento county will allow you to get a concealed weapon permit much easier than in San Joaquin County.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:12 PM

4,576 posts, read 8,216,284 times
modesto is safer

Old 08-02-2011, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,741 times
There's new apartment complexes in a safe/nice area off of Floyd and Roselle in Modesto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or