Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 04:18 AM

9 posts, read 25,030 times

Advertisements

Just letting everyone know that we have been in Bella Vista, Arkansas for 3 days now, Outside of missing our family and friends tons, we absolutly love it here, so far! Everyone is so friendly and we bought a really beautiful home. The weather is exciting (hope it doesn't get toooo exciting) hahaha! For those of you that have not read our previous posts here.....My husband and I have spent most of our lives in California. He was born and raised there and I have been there since I was 8 yrs old. We had a beautiful home in El Dorado Hills, CA. My husband decided to retire a few years earllier and the only way we could do that comfortably was to relocate. We read a lot about Bella Vista on the internet and decided to fly out here and see the area. We fell in love with the area, the people and yes, the weather.It was a long hard decission to move and I know that this is not for everyone, but, so far, it is working for us. I can not put down California. It was very good to us. I think it is sad that California is a difficult place to retire in, The quality of life is better for us Arkansas because of the affordable housing and a few other things. I think we did the right thing by moving but it's not for everyone.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
It's nice to hear your so happy bblondee!!! Congrats!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 24,202 times
Red face Also thinking of getting out.

I've been trying to talk my boyfriend into moving out of California. I'm a 3rd generation Cali and yeah Cali used to be a great place to live. But it is just so far from that now. I'm in the OC and prices are just out of control...yet people are greedy and money hungry and would rather have either home sit on the market for 150 days than lower their price. It's not only the housing, it's everything. The TRAFFIC, the rude people, the smog, the illegal immigrants, the gangs. There are few GOOD areas to live in OC, LA, and SD, but unless you have major bucks you can't afford it...Yes Cali is very beautiful and there are endless activities here, but I'm ready to jump ship. Colorado and Austin can offer a better quality of living. I will miss the beauty of Cali but thats about it.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:34 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunglitz56 View Post
I've been trying to talk my boyfriend into moving out of California. I'm a 3rd generation Cali and yeah Cali used to be a great place to live. But it is just so far from that now. I'm in the OC and prices are just out of control...yet people are greedy and money hungry and would rather have either home sit on the market for 150 days than lower their price. It's not only the housing, it's everything. The TRAFFIC, the rude people, the smog, the illegal immigrants, the gangs. There are few GOOD areas to live in OC, LA, and SD, but unless you have major bucks you can't afford it...Yes Cali is very beautiful and there are endless activities here, but I'm ready to jump ship. Colorado and Austin can offer a better quality of living. I will miss the beauty of Cali but thats about it.
I totally understand your feelings about California. I feel the same way. I will be leaving California as well after I retire. I've been in California since 1977. I've purchased property in Tennessee and will be retiring there.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal On The Move View Post
Fellow Californians,

Just wanted to hear from those of you in my situation.

My husband and I are considering leaving magnificant California. Though we love it to death, we don't know if it's smart to stay. We live in Sac, which I consider to be California's greatest deal (financially speaking). We want to buy a home but we haven't seen anything we could be happy with for less then $300G's.

We've been thinking about moving to San Anotonio because you can get a great house for much less then $300G's. We've also heard it's a great place to raise the family we want to start.

But, I'm so in love with California!! Has anyone had this debate with themselves, and if so what did you decide? Move and have more financial security, a great home, a nice car without the yearly super high registration cost? Or, stay and do well, live in a smaller home, enjoy Cali's beauty?

I think we are leaning more towards moving. Especially since we have no family here. But it hurts!

Conflicted people please share!

Thanks
There is a message in these threads:

Are you "living" or "struggling" here in Socal and why do you remain?

Housing Costs - How do people afford it

Affording California: Can I afford it and is it worth it?

Ready for a change? Do you want to move to an area where you can afford a home?

How do average people afford houses in California?

How can you consider $500,000 to be "affordable housing"?

Why would you buy a home here in Ca?

Is Living in Orange County really worth the hype?

Why are so many Californians moving to other states?

Will we be able to afford life in SoCal?

What person that could afford to put at least $20,000 (5%) down and qualify for a $400,000 loan buys these houses?

What do I have to do to afford California living?

Combined income $120k - how much house can I afford

Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
I hope all you folks leaving CA have a house for sale for me We left Newcastle 2 years ago for 'greener pastures and a more affordable home' What we should have done was just buy a smaller home on a regular lot as opposed to moving where we did...St. George, UT. Sure, we were able to buy a lovely home for half of what it would cost in Roseville or Rocklin..but this is the most bass-ackward and unfriendly place we have ever been. We are originally from SoCal and we thought that was bad. CA is heaven after being here. Our house is for sale, we are outta here soon I hope. We still have some equity that we brought here, so we are thinking a newer home in Lincoln. I miss the shopping, restaurants, and the diversity of the people.

We had considered buying in Western WA state, we did buy a teeny mobile home near near family for the summers, but in thinking it over, we don't think we could handle all that rain..besides our son is living in Lincoln and family is first.

If you leave RENT or LEASE your home out..that way when you want to come back, you have a home to come back to. And rent or lease where you are going so you don't have the hassle of selling it.

CA is not for everyone, but this California girl needs to come 'home'.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:58 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I hope all you folks leaving CA have a house for sale for me We left Newcastle 2 years ago for 'greener pastures and a more affordable home' What we should have done was just buy a smaller home on a regular lot as opposed to moving where we did...St. George, UT. Sure, we were able to buy a lovely home for half of what it would cost in Roseville or Rocklin..but this is the most bass-ackward and unfriendly place we have ever been. We are originally from SoCal and we thought that was bad. CA is heaven after being here. Our house is for sale, we are outta here soon I hope. We still have some equity that we brought here, so we are thinking a newer home in Lincoln. I miss the shopping, restaurants, and the diversity of the people.

We had considered buying in Western WA state, we did buy a teeny mobile home near near family for the summers, but in thinking it over, we don't think we could handle all that rain..besides our son is living in Lincoln and family is first.

If you leave RENT or LEASE your home out..that way when you want to come back, you have a home to come back to. And rent or lease where you are going so you don't have the hassle of selling it.

CA is not for everyone, but this California girl needs to come 'home'.
I take it your not a mormon? lol I know all about St. George!! Spent a little time there many years ago....cute town...but if your not LDS...you might as well have the plague!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:17 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Nope, not mormon...this is a crazy place. No one better ever say anything about Californians to me after this experience!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:46 AM

41 posts, read 162,132 times
Default Rooted in California

I've been in California 32 years, I've seen it change, a lot for the worse, but some for the better. Southern California has been good to me. I own a home here and I have nothing but good experiences: education, career, family life, culture and entertainment. Smack in the middle of what some might characterize as the zenith of the "rat race," my family and I live our simple lives in southern Orange County. We have good friends and families here.
We have decent reliable cars, we do not buy new cars every few years just to keep up with the Jones's. In fact we paid off our cars to eliminate debt. We have one credit card with minimal balance. My wife stays home to raise our
children, I only work 36 hours per week most of the time. Inspite of limited income, we enjoy our fair share of entertainment and vacations several times throughout the year. We go out to dinner twice a week and watch all the movies that interest us. We enjoy California's outdoors and weather to the fullest- mountain biking, fishing, swimming, surfing, occasionally skiing.

The point: Live smartly, simply, and always within your means! I am not rich by any measure of the word financially, but we enjoy our lives here in expensive California.

I plan on moving east of Sacramento in the Sierras somewhere probably next year to improve our lives even further (no mortgage payment).

I've looked into Colorado intensely for a while in considering ways to relax my
lifelstyle further but I believe I can accomplish this by moving to the Sierra
Foothills and still STAY in California.

What of California politics, illegal immigration, taxes, traffic? I am a conservative in a liberal state. I have a keen interest in following political developements and social issues. I vote in favor of my views and hang with people of the same interests. I find no need to run to another state to get away from opposing viewpoints. I participate in any way I can as a citizen of California to bring about change favorable to my viewpoint. I minimize my exposure to taxation. I work night shift to avoid traffic.

To those who leave California because they are tired of it and want a change, the best of luck and may you successfully find the ideal you seek.
To those who whine that they want to stay but just cannot afford it anymore, well, past decisions have brought you to where you stand today.
If you really want California, only you can make that happen. And it certainly
not THAT difficult.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:10 PM

43 posts, read 183,213 times
What I hear is unhappy Californians because they live in a metropolis. Actually, you can get about any kind of lifestyle you want here if you can somehow work there too.

I lived in the Portland, Ore. area for 11 years, but couldn't take 9 months of rain a year as a motorcyclist, so moved back to norCal in a town that's called a city, but really isn't(Yuba City). No pollution, friendly neighbors, no boom boxes going by, little crime, cheaper houses than Sacramento, etc.

But I don't like the political side of Kalifornia. Thing is, Oregon & Washington have the same politics. I'm retired and really can live anywhere I want. So far it's here, unless some day we get flooded out if a levee breaks. Then we're moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento