Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoWhere View Post
I'm new to the board, but a Cali native who left in 1985 and unless I win the lottery, I have no hope of moving back home. It's too expensive. Even if my boyfriend and I sold both our houses, I doubt we could find a house we could afford with enough room for our dogs. Finding a house with land for our horses is out of the question.

They say you can't go home again, but I never thought it meant you couldn't afford to go home again!

I strongly suggest that if you move out of state and make a killing on the old house you sold, and the new house you buy, that you put the extra in savings, because if you decide to move back, you'll need every dime you have to get home.

The only thing more depressing than not being able to go home is that I still live in Phoenix and it's 110 outside and it's going to be in that neighborhood for the next 3 months before we drop down into the cool, refreshing 90s (yes, that was sarcastic).

Don't feel too bad, we are in St. George, or as somone on this site said, 'the bowels of hell' haha. You know we are not coming out of here smelling like a rose when this place sells, and we were talking today about buying a piece of land, even an acre, and putting a modular on it. would be less than a stick built home and some of them are very very nice. We have dogs too, and need a little bit of room..Just a thought..

Old 06-25-2008, 04:35 PM

47 posts, read 200,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Don't feel too bad, we are in St. George, or as somone on this site said, 'the bowels of hell' haha. You know we are not coming out of here smelling like a rose when this place sells, and we were talking today about buying a piece of land, even an acre, and putting a modular on it. would be less than a stick built home and some of them are very very nice. We have dogs too, and need a little bit of room..Just a thought..

Sorry to be ignorant, but where is St. George?

As for your suggestion, that may be the only possible way to do it, but I don't know what we can get that's suitable for horses with only $400K. It's really depressing.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:

As for your suggestion, that may be the only possible way to do it, but I don't know what we can get that's suitable for horses with only $400K. It's really depressing.
Try looking in the Central Valley of California, especially in semi-rural areas that have already taken a 30 to 35% hit in home values. For example, satellite communities of Sacramento, i.e. Yuba City or outside Stockton. With $400K you may be able to find 3 to 5 acres (room for horses) and a smaller or older home.
There are actually some opportunities for you if you have $400K. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Oh, I'm sorry, we are in Southern Utah, about 2 hours north of Las Vegas on the way to Salt Lake...it's hot here, not as hot as phoenix and a tad cooler than Vegas, but we are at the 3,000 ft level, I never though it would get THIS hot here and for so long...It also does not cool off at night here, so the a/c runs 24/7..makes me crazy!

I think you might find some land and put a modular on it for that amount of money..our agent in Lincoln, CA specializes in horse properties, she is a horse owner with land up there...if you are remotely interested, DM me and I can give you her info..

It might be doable..

Old 06-28-2008, 01:50 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Wink CA,MA and points in between

Currently living in So Cal,for the past 6 yrs [not too happy about it to begin with,but that's another story],prior to that,3 yrs in Boulder,CO,2 yrs in San Francisco,and before that a bunch of travel,a year in San Diego and 4 yrs in Missoula,MT---oh yea,and first 19 yrs of my life in MA outside of Boston.
Yes,the cost in CA has risen,but it has,too,elsewhere.
Missoula was amazing,but that was in the early 90s. MT costs have risen-that's a whole other thread you can read up on(:-and the economy has not risen to meet them.
Living in CO [mostly outside of Boulder,where,yes,housing is and has for decades been insane] from 1999-2002,I can honestly say we were shocked that it was the same as San Francisco cost-wise! Aside from housing,obviously,there was little difference. We paid MORE in CO for car insurance than in either SFO or San Diego,and incidentals-laundry soap,etc. were higher. [In fact my mother came to visit for 4 months from Mass.,and could not believe the cost of non food items. And Mass. ain't cheap! Oh,and she lives in Naples,FLA for two years-talk about a hellhole! sorry FLA people,but I dont think cost of living being less in some places can make up for the rest! If you don't have retirement money and actually have to work,forget most of FLA,IMHO.]
Taxes in CO are high,comparably to CA. And food options both produce and restaurants are not nearly as varied in terms of cost or quantity as CA. Nothing beats N CA IMHO for food quality year round. San Diego is a close second in terms of access.
We are also considering leaving,b/c we are tired of urban areas,and looking into NE. New England has charm,especially northern states. But,yea,don't forget to factor in winter costs,people!!! It will be a few thousand extra a year in heating,car upkeep and clothing upgrades [if you have children,as we do.] I do find the fast pace of life,lack of manners and general fog of entertainment soaked minds both young and old,to be beyond old at this point in So Cal. Our son is 7 and he too longs to run through forests. Yea,there are other parts of the state,but they have grown and/or do not offer the same amenities,but that's just me.

NE costs, as well. It'll be about the same as CA,in the end.
You're really left with quality of life considerations..........that's my point.

BTW,one thing I do love about CA is that noone cares where you are from,and could care less that you are moving to 'their state'. My husband was born and raised in SD [second generation] and believe me the area has changed beyond recognition-in his childhood he roamed canyons till dark in his neighborhood and beyond,where now we have helicopters searching them for criminals and crack heads living in them. Not to mention sprawl. Long term planning has not been SD's strength. But,hey,the town I grew up in,in Mass.,had one traffic light and 4k people,on the train line into boston. It now has 100k people and average home costs are around 350k. Everything has changed. Except,funnily enough,people in MA generally don't care that folks move to 'their state',either!
I've decided that if I move to Oregon,I'll be 'from Massachusetts.' And if I move to NH,I'll be 'from CA'. Less animosity that way! I don't want to be an evil Californian or a M*******!
Call these liberal states what you will,but folks are generally too busy living their lives to engage in bashing of other states. LOL
You have to wonder about that-Californians are as others have said,open and more accepting of quirkiness. Although in SD,I think sometimes it is from brainfog due to too much tecnology and la la lotusland living. Hellooooooo? Is anyone hoooooooooooome????
Um,anyway,that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Do your research,make your lists,visit and above all do not make reactionary,emotionally charged decisions based on media reports about the economy;that would be my advice!

and ps-Mom currently lives in VA...It's hilarious that wherever I go when I visit,people are 'oooo you live in CA,you're so lucky;oooooo I was just visiting CA,it's so great there'. Sure,there are some decent places in VA,but honestly takes some getting used to. And the heat,my god,the heat! And hardly any produce locally grown in VA. What the heck? The farmer's market in Richmond had about 4 tomatoes for sale and it was just depressing. Even the cashier at the healthfood store was pining for CA when she asked where I was visiting from. And I don't even bring it up;it just happens. Hear good things about NC,though. But do your homework if looking at VA. Those magazine ratings: I swear they use these publications to move the US populace around based on the wishes of the powers that be. Social control experiments-and I mean all the magazines: outdoor,money,AARP,etc.

Last edited by lrmsd; 06-28-2008 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: forgot to add

Old 06-28-2008, 03:29 PM

62 posts, read 187,963 times
Default Moving as well

Hi there,

My wife and I are in the process of moving from California as well. Our situation might be a bit different in someways as we are moving predominately because I have accepted a job with another organization. I do consider myself lucky to have purchased my home in a very nice neighborhood of Sacramento 11 years ago. I can however totally empathize with yalls position about the housing market even here in Sacramento.

I have lived in California for about 19 years now and YES, I will miss various parts of it. I also know that quality of life is very important AND while there might not be anyplace like California (why do so many people come out here in the first place right?) there ARE other parts of the country that are very nice indeed. We will be relocating to Winston-Salem, NC and it seems like a very neat place with lots of outdoor activities.

By the way, I'm originally from Houston, Texas. I think San Antonio is nice, but I must admit that I have an especially strong preference to Austin (did my undergraduate work there). If I ever did move back to Texas (which seems unlikely now given our move to NC) it would definately be Austin.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:30 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,116 times
Wow -this has to be one of the longest threads in City-Data history!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:38 PM

48 posts, read 149,988 times
I have always wanted too move too california! Reading this post i am now reconsidering! But i am not sure i would think of moving too bakers field or chico where properties seem too be fairly cheap . Is this is a dumb idea? Maybe i should move too a different western state that is cheaper?

I am a person who lives in upstate new york .I am 22 years old and I find upstate new york too suck . I have been dreaming of moving out west to have wide open spaces and beautiful landscapes with room to roam . Bakers field/ Kern county always seemed too be the area i would choose . It is very cheap compared too the rest of california . It has a low crime rate . It is near the mountains . I want too buy a trailor perhaps around kern county ( I Refuse too rent , I see renting as slavery ) . I am a blue collar guy . I would like too start my own landscaping business out west . The other area i was considering was chico california . As well as other states like idaho , utah , montana ect .

Now i like small cities near the rural areas . I don't like living in a area with yuppies or gangs that start trouble . I dont like too live in an area where everyone is soo materialistic and judges people for no reason .I hate areas where people judge you if you do not have the latest fashions , or you do not have 100 dollar sneakers ,or drive the fanciest cars ,or where people will judge you if you have a bit of dirt on your shoes or clothes . or on how expensive and flashy your cell phones are lol . I want too live a simple life , In a simple place , Where it is affordable and people are friendly. I want too live in a place where animals , birds and nature are thriving . I would love too live in an area with lots of park land around and lots of hiking trails .I am more than happy living in a trailor - shacks ect lol . I am a very satisified person . I feel best when i am in nature and live a simple life using my hands .

- For these reasons Southern California is marked off my list lol .

- Now i am a very intelligent guy , Very artistic and Very intellectual . Art , Music , Writting , Reading and Science are a major part of my life . I am also a very tough guy i will hit anyone who tries too mess with me in a blink of an eye lol .I also enjoy riding atvs , dirt bikes and off road trucking ,I enjoy swimming , I enjoy fishing and ocasionally hunting for meat only . Which i would assume kern county is also good for . I am also an atheist , i am very anti religious . I tend too be some where between liberal - and liberterian closer too liberterian as i get older , I am anti war , But pro miltary too a point . I am pro gun ,I am anti regulation . I am anti censorship. I am pro abortion , Pro gay marriage .I am anti theocracy , I am pro Tax cuts for the middle class and lower class . I am anti corporate , I think corporations should be taxed up the ying yang. I am also anti welfare , But pro section 8 and pro aiding food pantries and shelters , I am pro legalizing drugs , I am also pro reducing punishment for small crimes . . I love nature , I love the out doors . I am very tolerent of gays . But intolerent of urban gang cultures ect .
- i live in an area in new york that is about as conservative as kern county anyways , It is very similar too kern county that the area i live in is a few hours from new york city and has a culture much like many areas in the south would have .

- Now i am not a snot nosed upper class suburban kid who won't do jobs " americans " won't do . I am willing too paint fences , work at fast food places , Mow lawns , Pick fruits and vegatables , Farm ,Build walls . Work in city sanitation .Work in construction , Work as a garbage man . work at car washes , Clean toilets ,Work in warehouses , Do janitorial work ,drive trucks ect ect .

I am also very stingy and thrifty and good with money . I tend too save up alot of money easily .

I would rather do anything than sit in an office lol

Do i sound like some one that would do okay in kern county?

But since i am artistic an a athiest would chico be a better bet? Or possibly another state?

Last edited by Existtoexit; 06-28-2008 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-28-2008, 03:41 PM

62 posts, read 187,963 times
Default Leaving the Golden State

My wife and I are in the process of moving from California. While our situation might be a bit different than yours in someways, I will definately miss a lot of things about California. I consider myself lucky to have purchased my home 11 years ago in a very nice neighborhood in Sacramento. Our move is due to me getting a job with a different organization. I can however totally empathize with your position about housing costs....even here in Sacramento. I have also noticed over a very short period of time, that the area has gotten very congested and people are rather rude, especially on the roads.

How did I come to terms with leaving California? Well, first of all I have lived here about 19 years. Having said that, I also know that overall quality of life (which of course includes finances) is important. Also, while there is no other place like California (why do so many people come out here in the first place right?) there ARE other very nice parts of the country. We are moving to Winston-Salem, NC are very much looking forward. Yes, I will miss California but I try to focus on where we are going and less on what we are leaving.

One last comment. San Antonio is a nice place. (I grew up in Houston). Having said that, I do have a especially strong preference to Austin....I would have moved there if I would have found the right position. You may want to check out Austin. You rarely hear anyone mention something bad when you say Austin..that should say something...not a perfect place, but I very nice place in Texas.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headdr View Post
Hi there,

My wife and I are in the process of moving from California as well. Our situation might be a bit different in someways as we are moving predominately because I have accepted a job with another organization. I do consider myself lucky to have purchased my home in a very nice neighborhood of Sacramento 11 years ago. I can however totally empathize with yalls position about the housing market even here in Sacramento.

I have lived in California for about 19 years now and YES, I will miss various parts of it. I also know that quality of life is very important AND while there might not be anyplace like California (why do so many people come out here in the first place right?) there ARE other parts of the country that are very nice indeed. We will be relocating to Winston-Salem, NC and it seems like a very neat place with lots of outdoor activities.

By the way, I'm originally from Houston, Texas. I think San Antonio is nice, but I must admit that I have an especially strong preference to Austin (did my undergraduate work there). If I ever did move back to Texas (which seems unlikely now given our move to NC) it would definately be Austin.
Where in Sac is the home you are selling?? We are trying to get back home to the Sac area after living in So Utah for almost 3 years, long, long story, it's come down to a potential buyer on his hands and knees sniffing our artificial grass...

Anyway, just curious...have a good day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento