Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,613 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are taking a hard look at the Sacramento area as a place to finaly buy. We have a 3 year old son and were enthused with the school ratings in the Elk Grove district.

Decent homes on the market, less than 7 years old, in our price range, at first glance, seem to be limiting us to lincoln and elk grove at the moment.

Initially I was pretty enthused about both prospects however after reading all the posts on this board about Elk Grove, I am starting to wonder....

Is it is bad as everyone is saying?

Seems like crime in running rampant... in which case forget it... I'll stay in South San Jose.

What's up?

and lincoln..... worth a closer look?

I have never felt threatened in San Jose... and don't plan to start now. Is a bullet proof vest mandatory in Sacramento like one would be led to believe here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 PM

216 posts, read 373,800 times
Come up and spend a weekend to see if it meets your tolerance level.
Everyones standards differ. I've heard people complaining about
an area because a few lawns are not kept up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tano View Post
My wife and I are taking a hard look at the Sacramento area as a place to finaly buy. We have a 3 year old son and were enthused with the school ratings in the Elk Grove district.

Decent homes on the market, less than 7 years old, in our price range, at first glance, seem to be limiting us to lincoln and elk grove at the moment.

Initially I was pretty enthused about both prospects however after reading all the posts on this board about Elk Grove, I am starting to wonder....

Is it is bad as everyone is saying?

Seems like crime in running rampant... in which case forget it... I'll stay in South San Jose.

What's up?

and lincoln..... worth a closer look?

I have never felt threatened in San Jose... and don't plan to start now. Is a bullet proof vest mandatory in Sacramento like one would be led to believe here?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,115,667 times
Elk Grove is generally pretty good, but I would take Lincoln over it for the long term. Any reason you've excluded Rocklin? I think that is the best area overall.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:59 PM

375 posts, read 1,719,832 times
You should check out Roseville and Rocklin. Both are better for families and have great schools.

BTW, I have a beautiful 3 bedroom home for sale in Rocklin by Sierra College.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 11,680 times
Default Elk Grove

Stay away from Elk Grove. Too close to South Sac.and has to much crime. Lincoln is a great place to live unless you have to commute into Sacramento. East Roseville (Eureka Schools), Granite Bay, Davis and Rocklin (whitney oaks) are the best places to raise kids and have the best schools. You never have to go very far for grocery stores, shopping, and restaurants. My pick is for East Roseville or Whitney Oaks- Granite Bay and Davis are a bit pricey and Lincoln is too much of a commute.
Moderator cut: No links to competing sites My brother lives in San Jose and really likes East Roseville, Granite Bay and Rocklin - very safe and family friendly.
Lived in Sacramento and Roseville all of my life. Stay away from Natomas too.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-02-2007 at 11:49 PM..

Old 12-02-2007, 11:43 AM

168 posts, read 904,880 times
If Elk Grove and Lincoln are your ONLY two choices, I would go with Lincoln. Both towns have grown much too quickly, but Elk Grove is having crime problems that Lincoln is not experiencing.

I have lived in Roseville for 25 years, and while it's not the wonderful small town it once was, it's still a pretty good place to live. There are a lot of activities here for families and lots of ammenities (shopping, good medical care, etc). Real estate prices are still dropping, so if you can rent for a while you could get to know the area better and possibly get a better deal when you're ready to buy.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,613 times
I appreciate all the responses. Great info! Thank you.

I had the opportunity to explore the twelve bridges area in lincoln and I like it. I prefer that over lincoln crossing. Seems like a nicer area without the HOA... no brainer?

How bad is the commute into Sac?

Keep in mind, it easily takes me 45 minutes to an hour to commute 16 miles in the South Bay.

Is it worse than that?

I am also exploring Rockin and Roseville. Seems like perhaps more bang for the buck a bit farther out into Lincoln which has me looking up there.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:12 PM

168 posts, read 904,880 times
Yes, you will get more house for your buck in Lincoln compared to Roseville or Rocklin.

I commute from Roseville to downtown Sac and it takes me about 35 to 40 minutes in the morning. However, I leave my house at 6:30. If you leave later the traffic is quite a bit heavier. The drive home is quicker, rarely taking longer than 30 to 35 minutes. From Lincoln I would guess you would have to add another 10 minutes.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:48 AM

375 posts, read 1,719,832 times
You will not like the compute down hwy 65 to and from Lincoln. It's horrible. It will take you a lot longer. HWY 65 has lots of traffice issues.
Some of Roseville does have extra home cost each year & HOAs. Rocklin doesn't have M.R. costs and some areas don't have HOAs. Plus they are pretty close to HWY 80.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM

95 posts, read 466,118 times
Tano thanks for asking that question, because it's the same question i had. Instead of Lincoln i was thinking about moving to Natomas, Elk Grove or Folsom. I need something low crime, nice schools (high) and not to expensive when it comes to renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento