Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 12:10 AM

117 posts, read 257,657 times

Advertisements

I will be taking a trip to Sacramento this summer to finally meet my long lost brother. I'm from New Orleans, in my early-20's and have never been anywhere west of Louisiana.

What are some some things for a guy in his early 20's to do in Sacramento?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Depends--what sort of thing do you like to do in New Orleans?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:18 AM

I'm into all sorts of things. Music, Bowling, outdoors, indoors etc...

But, I know every city has a few things that you MUST do when visiting there...

Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
I will be taking a trip to Sacramento this summer to finally meet my long lost brother. I'm from New Orleans, in my early-20's and have never been anywhere west of Louisiana.

What are some some things for a guy in his early 20's to do in Sacramento?
I'm also from Louisiana and lived in the New Orleans area for many years. Sacramento's mid-town area has clubs and restaurants that are very popular with young adults. Sacramento's old town area along the Sacramento River has wooden sidewalks similar to what someone would have seen 200 years ago and also many shops and restaurants, but this part of town is similar in a lot of ways to the New Orleans French Quarter. The State Railroad Museum in the old town area is very impressive. If you are staying in Sacramento more than just a few days, you should also consider seeing things outside of Sacramento such as the the California coast, Napa Valley (wine country), Lake Tahoe, and Yosemite National Park. There are many places to go to experience hiking, kayaking, swimming, sightseeing. If your brother has lived in Sacramento for a while, he should have some ideas for you to consider when you arrive.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:39 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Old Sacramento is kind of the "must-see" tourist spot, including the Railroad Museum, the Delta King riverboat and the Underground Sidewalks tour. The other standard tourist attractions are Sutter's Fort, the State Capital and Capitol Park, the old Governor's Mansion and Stanford Mansion (although those might be shut down due to budget cuts!) and the Crocker Art Museum.

Midtown has a lot of nightlife but there is a growing nightlife scene in downtown Sacramento along K Street. Live music, dance clubs, restaurants, cafes, and bars are scattered around the central city. Outside the central city there are a few attractions but they're farther apart.

There are a couple of bike rental places in Old Sac that will let you tool around town or ride the bike paths along the American or Sacramento River--a bike is the best way to get around the central city.

A couple resources for things to do:

Sacramento, Chico and Reno News & Review: source for local news and events

Midtown Monthly

Old 05-20-2011, 02:10 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Old Sacramento - Offical Site of Old Sacramento! A great place for shopping, events, historic tours, dining, & activities!

If you have a car, it's about 90 minutes to San Francisco (without traffic!). Amtrak also has trains between Sacramento and Oakland (Emeryville) and you can take a Amtrak bus into SF.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
From one Delta city right to another. How ironic is that!

Have a great time and your money is greatly appreciated. I can't add much more to the great info provided already. Except if you can make it the Sonoma and Marin county coast line, it is spectacular. A beautiful days drive from San Francisco heading north to Fort Bragg. Check it out if you have time. Don't forget to eat some fresh oysters in Point Reyes. Look it up, several great oyster farms. Hog Island etc.....

The coast line is about two hours travel due west from Sacramento. Less if you know all the shortcuts.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:35 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys. I did all of the mentions things and MORE!

It was culture shock at first, but I really had a good time... and the weather really helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento