U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,215 times

Advertisements

Hi, so this is asking about West Sacramento again. I've already searched, but I'm not really sure what is considered the new development part of the town.

I am thinking about buying a house in West Sacramento so that my daughter can live in it when she goes to college. I am not sure if it will be safe for her because she might be living there alone. The house we are looking at is in the area code 95691-2503 on Laurel Lane in West Sacramento near West Capitol Avenue. Is it safe? Or should I look at another house instead? Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 PM

74 posts, read 328,389 times
Not a good area for your daughter. Try Southport near Nugget.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,215 times
Do you know of any other areas that is close to UCD and the houses are pretty cheap? Around $100,000?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 PM

2,511 posts, read 5,450,782 times
W Capitol isn't a good area. The area north of Sacramento Ave (95605) isn't as bad as it looks and is the only area where you will find houses under $100K. The area west of Toddhunter Ave (Bryte) is somewhat of an ethnic Russian neighbourhood and very quiet. East of Toddhunter (Broderick) it is mixed, very noisy in some places, but nothing much happens and when it does it is usually between people who know each other.

The new area is in the proximity of Jefferson Blvd and Linden Rd. You might find some fixer-upper condos or townhomes in that area, but most houses are well above $100k.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,652 times
Not a very good area... W Capital has a lot of motels on it and a lot of transients... anything south of Jefferson and Park is a good area... From Park Blvd to About Devon there is an older more mature area... anything north of Park is not going to be a nice area to live in...

Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 AM

323 posts, read 905,876 times
Try the "State Streets" (the area where the streets are named after U.S. States) Generally safe, nice neighborhood between Southport and the older parts of the city near Downtown. Smaller homes from the 50's but with large yards in most cases. Somewhat walkable to a few things and easy to get to Davis or Sacramento.

For example, I used to live next door to this place. http://www.redfin.com/CA/West-Sacram.../home/19458505

Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM

15,736 posts, read 17,702,328 times
Why?

Just have her rent a room for $500 a month with other Davis students. She'd be much happier.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM

658 posts, read 528,584 times
Exactly. If she's going to Davis she will want to live there otherwise the experience will suck. And it's not like real estate values are going to be rising anytime soon in those areas so it wouldn't be a very good investment.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:35 PM

137 posts, read 314,687 times
I have to agree that it is probably best for her to live with other students and closer to campus during her freshman year. That's assuming she will be a freshman of course. I bought a house in Sacramento and will be attending Davis in the fall, but I am not a freshman undergrad.

The housing market is unlikely to change drastically in the coming year. I would reconsider the purchase after she has had a year to adjust to college life, if your primary motivation isn't strictly investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento