Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:42 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,571 times

Advertisements

After having lived here for over 3 years, the whole city is pretty much ghetto except for a few pockets, and the ghetto mentality is spreading to most of the burbs as well. California is turning into a giant 3rd world ghetto compared to a lot of the rest of the country. I'm stuck at my current job, so I can't leave here, but if I could, I would. Its so depressing to see gang bangers, tats, and loud rap music everywhere, even out in the 'burbs. I *hate* it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 02:39 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,278,163 times
Rap music is the dominant form of popular music pretty much everywhere in the country, tattoos stopped being the exclusive purview of bikers and gangsters 20 years ago, and fashionable kids have been aping the styles of gang members since at least the 1920s. All of the above are most apparent in the suburbs, where all the mass-produced fashion ends up.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
After having lived here for over 3 years, the whole city is pretty much ghetto except for a few pockets, and the ghetto mentality is spreading to most of the burbs as well. California is turning into a giant 3rd world ghetto compared to a lot of the rest of the country. I'm stuck at my current job, so I can't leave here, but if I could, I would. Its so depressing to see gang bangers, tats, and loud rap music everywhere, even out in the 'burbs. I *hate* it.
I can't wait for you to leave either. Enjoy Kentucky.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I can't wait for you to leave either. Enjoy Kentucky.
Nah, I'm going East Coast. Probably between New York-Boston.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:15 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Rap music is the dominant form of popular music pretty much everywhere in the country, tattoos stopped being the exclusive purview of bikers and gangsters 20 years ago, and fashionable kids have been aping the styles of gang members since at least the 1920s. All of the above are most apparent in the suburbs, where all the mass-produced fashion ends up.
Rap music is probably the dominant form of popular music as you called it but it's garbage. Listen to the lyrics and observe the way people act around it, just garbage. I would like someone to tell me one good thing that comes from it.

A lot of tattoos are still pretty trashy. It's rare that I like tattoos but of course I'm different and my opinion doesn't really matter to anyone else.

I'm going to have to say most kids don't dress like gangsters in suburbs unless they have lacking parents or parents who just don't know what's going on. If you mean baggy jeans and t shirts, I don't call that gangster. Now one of those long white t's and jeans with a red baseball cap usually cincinnati reds, yep that's gangster (it's Norteno wear). Last time I checked gangsters are basically everywhere now because they are accepted in our society. I don't know of a town, city, community that doesn't have them.

What happened to people looking, acting, dressing and talking respectable? Is that too much to ask? That's right, I'm supposed to be tolerant of the douchebags and out of control behavior becuase they are expressing themselves.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post

suburbs, huh? dont you live in tahoe park? thats about as central city as it gets save living on the grid.

I dont see this giant third world ghetto comming to granite bay...which is the suburbs, lol

Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
A lot of tattoos are still pretty trashy. It's rare that I like tattoos but of course I'm different and my opinion doesn't really matter to anyone else.

What happened to people looking, acting, dressing and talking respectable? Is that too much to ask? That's right, I'm supposed to be tolerant of the douchebags and out of control behavior becuase they are expressing themselves.
When my wife and I went to San Francisco for a couple of days last fall we spent an hour or so walking through Chinatown.

We have an adult mentally handicapped daughter who lives with us, and we take her whenever we travel.

In Chinatown, we stopped at one of the multitude of stores that carries a ton of inexpensive imported items. The store had high shelves, placed very closely together and was fairly crowded. After about 5-10 minutes in the store, we noticed that our daughter had broken out into a sweat, and was getting a bit agitated. After about a minute or so of trying to figure out what was bothering her (her communication skills are extremely limited) we figured out that she appeared to be having a panic attack, likely due to the tight spaces and tall shelves.

We took her outside to cool off and get some space, but couldn't sit on the bench near the store because it was being used. When the fellows who saw us noticed we were looking for a place to sit, they got up and insisted we take the seat. After we sat down with our daughter, they went over to a vending machine that had a small metal crane that you would use to try and scoop up stuffed animals. They were at the machine for a few minutes before one of the guys finally won, getting a small pink bear.

He came over to us and gave it to my daughter, and then the three guys left the area.

The guys were full of tattoos, and one had a blue Mohawk. They each also had multiple facial piercings.

Motto of story - Class and appearance aren't related at all.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

It's only dominant because the music industry determines what is dominant.

I've had to work and spend a lot of time in the suburbs over the last five years. I wouldn't say it is most apparent in the suburbs by any means.

I think the real problem is that few people take any pride in presenting themselves as intelligent, or in the least bit sophisticated. The media also plays a role in all this. They present the image that looking and behaving like a mental retard is hip and cool.

In the 20's gangsters were associated a lot more with organized crime and looking fashionable in expensive clothes was a symbol of success.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 AM

457 posts, read 1,182,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

The guys were full of tattoos, and one had a blue Mohawk. They each also had multiple facial piercings.

Motto of story - Class and appearance aren't related at all.
Yes they are. That person presented himself in a way that is out of control. He wanted people to think that about him. That is the point in how he dressed. If he wanted to get respect and for people to assume he works a 9-5 job like most people he wouldn't look like that.

Just becuase he did one good dead does not make him a good person in anyway. I don't know the person he may be a good person that wants to dress like that. I believe most people are not all bad and have some good in them. Unfortunately a lot have more bad than good and that is what matters. Listen to all of the people who have family/friends that get shot by the police or killed in a gang related homicide or killed over drugs saying how they were a great person, b.s.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:11 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,210 times
Think About it would probably think I'm a gang member based on the color of my skin and what I swear when in fact I'm a college grad and likely have a higher class job than him and make more.

Good thing that most people aren't dumb enough to judge people purely based on appearances and pre-concieved stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento