Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:04 AM

141 posts, read 646,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut916 View Post
Yeah "ghetto" is a buzz word for discussing racism by proxy in my opinion!.
Not at all.. I am white and I find that the ghetto white people are the often among the worst "ghetto people".. this has nothing to do with race, its all about how a person acts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,056 times
Default Hmm

Ok I agree that discussing this is limited by subjective viewpoints; however, I will still present my viewpoint:
I was born in Sacramento, but my family moved us out as we lived near Valley High when gang activity became larger in the late 80's, early 90's (not saying we couldn't have stuck it out, but I'm glad we didn't). We made a living in CO for a while, then So-Cal (Oxnard), then back on up to Sacramento (first Elk Grove, then Yuba; now I live on my own, first Woodland, now Sacramento-Arden). Just to give you guys my perspective.

I will agree with most the posters that anywhere and everywhere can be 'ghetto'. I would not say that Sacramento is entirely dangerous; like many cities where they do have to deal with a larger population on a regular basis, the police are quick to respond and aggressive, which I consider a plus; hearing sirens on a regular basis isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most the crime is theft, and I live right near Arden and Watt, and I don't think I've ever even heard a gunshot. That's not to say crime is non-existent; quite the opposite. But by taking minor safeguards, such as being careful when nightfall hits, and don't let your sweety roam at night by herself, then you really won't have too much to worry about.

Kids around here tend to be 'ghetto' punks, but then again that seems to be a common theme throughout history, so let's just say it is age that creates that bias. Just mind your business, and 99.9% of the time you won't have a problem. The unfortunate business of ghetto people is that their appearances and actions stand out more than those who are not, but if you really were to classify Sacramentians, the majority of its citizens are garden variety white collar joes.

As for the lack of things to do; I always think that too, but in reality there are a ton of things to do, it just seems like there's nothing to do. Downtown has lots of fun bars and restaurants and second Saturdays, etc. Sacramento is the city of trees, and a beautiful place to walk during the day, so long as it's under 100 degrees. Also, there is a lot of employment opportunity if one takes the time to look around, much moreso than the suburbs around Sacramento.

I will agree with another user, there seems to be a lack of cohesion, a lack of pride, here in Sacramento. The majority of its citizens are good honest people, they just need to step up and make their voices heard. Also, many areas could stand to have homeowners with a little more pride in their property and take care of it (just sayin).

Old 11-08-2008, 02:24 PM

149 posts, read 478,368 times
lololololol sac ghetto? haha sac is the safest bif city in cal guaranteed

nashville, tn now thats a real ghetto

no part of sac is ghetto at all the closest would be south sac and ss is not ghetto

Old 11-11-2008, 06:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
lololololol sac ghetto? haha sac is the safest bif city in cal guaranteed

nashville, tn now thats a real ghetto

no part of sac is ghetto at all the closest would be south sac and ss is not ghetto
I don't know what you call "ghetto" but as a former peace officer I think of it as a high crime area. We live downtown. From the 1st of January through the 31st of October this year there have been 861 crimes reported within a 2,000 foot radius of our home.

I retire the end of December and by February we'll be living in the mid-west in a town of about 18,000. As Popeye says, "I've stood all I cans. I can't stands no more!"

Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM

6 posts, read 75,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't know what you call "ghetto" but as a former peace officer I think of it as a high crime area. We live downtown. From the 1st of January through the 31st of October this year there have been 861 crimes reported within a 2,000 foot radius of our home.

I retire the end of December and by February we'll be living in the mid-west in a town of about 18,000. As Popeye says, "I've stood all I cans. I can't stands no more!"
North Natomas is a high crime area, but I would hardly call it Ghetto. Arden Mall on a Friday nite? Now thats ghetto

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 PM

149 posts, read 478,368 times
ghetto is a mixture of hip hop culture
people wearing pants low
gangs
graffiti
drugs
alcohol
crime
low lifes
an existence of Caucasians

but not to me

2 me it is a place where low educated people have to steal and commit crimes because they have to not to be cool

of course gangs and projects play role in it too but it is mainly a place were you do noy feel comfortable because of the residence

Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,883 times
I hate to burst your bubble qwe123safi but Sacramento currently has the second highest crime rate in the state of calif. We are second only to Oakland. That is not to say that Sac doesn't have decent areas but for anyone moving to Sac, pull up the stats on the police website or just look at the stats on this webpage. Sac can be a little deceiving due to the fact that a lot of the neighborhoods are brand new and in decent condition, however many are not owner occupied but are rented out to low income tenants

Old 11-15-2008, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 69,406 times
yes... cow town there all off old boring stuff in sacramento. Nothing eye catching nor jaw dropping.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:47 PM

57 posts, read 272,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As Popeye says, "I've stood all I cans. I can't stands no more!"
Ha ha ha, thanks for the laugh. I'm in total agreement with you. In fact, I've got the last of my things loaded up in my truck and trailer, and will be heading out of this place for the last time tomorrow morning.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM

91 posts, read 365,452 times
Yes, it is crime-ridden and ghetto; a lot more than it used to be and should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento